Anyone seen a test of how much exhaust fan upgrade affects temps and noise

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mech0z

Anyone seen a test of how much exhaust fan upgrade affects temps and noise

Post by Mech0z » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:55 am

I have a Fractal Define C

And I am wondering if upgrading the included https://www.fractal-design.com/products ... -12/black/ exhaust fan to a NF-A12x25 PWM will have any meaningful change to fan noise and cooling.

I would guess its very minor and that intake is more important, but don't really know what to search and the NF-A12x25 PWM is not exactly a cheap fan to buy

edh

Re: Anyone seen a test of how much exhaust fan upgrade affects temps and noise

Post by edh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:58 am

Unlikely to have much of a change unless:
- You make use of PWM control for the Noctua fan which you can't with your current fan. I guess this is down to your motherboard and what fan control it offers as some motherboards do a much better job of DC fan control than others.
- Your current fan is badly worn and no longer spins well, although from the pics I doubt it.

Olle P

Re: Anyone seen a test of how much exhaust fan upgrade affects temps and noise

Post by Olle P » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:40 am

If you upgrade the exhaust fan you could expect some affects:
Sucking cool air away from the graphics card the GPU should run hotter and its fan run noisier.

I'd suggest you first try to simply turn off the exhaust fan completely and study the overall effects.

My son also has a Define C case, and there the cooling solution is now set to have:
- A 240 AIO mounted for intake at the top.
- Two 140mm fans intake in the front.
- The fan mount at the rear is closed off, using adhesive tape.
- Some of the slot covers below the graphics card are taken off.
He runs a fairly high room temperature and the computer is by no means "silent", but with somewhat trimmed fan settings it's tolerable.