Best gaming PC in 2020

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dori

Best gaming PC in 2020

Post by dori » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:15 am

i have budget of $1000 and i want to buy a gaming PC that can play almost all major PC games. Many people suggest that cyperpowerPC but i would like your opinion on that.

CA_Steve

Re: Best gaming PC in 2020

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:07 am

Welcome to SPCR.

To confirm: you are looking to buy rather than build?

Also, be aware that all of the newest CPUs and graphics cards are in short supply at the moment..and the ones that are available are priced at a premium. If time isn't of the essence, I'd wait for the AMD Ryzen 5 5600 (non-X) to come out, or go for the 5600X if it is. Some of the new generation mid-range cards should be stumbling out over the next quarter as well.

dori

Post by dori » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:20 pm

i don't know much about hardware that's why i decided to buy gaming PC instead of building it.

dori

Post by dori » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:22 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:07 am
Welcome to SPCR.

Also, be aware that all of the newest CPUs and graphics cards are in short supply at the moment..and the ones that are available are priced at a premium.
what's the reason behind this hype.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:13 pm

What hype?

My guess is AMD and Nvidia opted to release without proper inventory. Probably exacerbated by the lack of silicon capacity at these small geometries plus it's also known that other gfx card components are also in short supply. Bad planning, bad timing (Covid impacting manpower), who knows. So, with smaller supply than demand, prices get jacked up. Also exacerbated by dudes buying up available inventory and then reselling for big profit on eBay, etc. In any case, it's a little crazy and a bad time for a build.

I have no opinion on Cyberpower other than they've been around for a while. The stock builds don't look at all quiet. You can probably customize to get a better case, gfx card, etc. But, I haven't drilled down to see. You might take a look at Puget Systems. They are a known good source for quiet computing.

$1k is a tough number for a gaming build, though. You don't mention your monitor resolution...but don't expect to support more than 1080p for gaming at this price.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:06 am

dori wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:15 am
i have budget of $1000 and i want to buy a gaming PC that can play almost all major PC games.
Shouldn't be a problem. You can build a $300 computer able to run just about every AAA game at 720p 30fps or better, using optimised settings, so a $1,000 computer should be no sweat.

That said, a pre-built will most likely not provide the best value.
A $1,000 gaming computer purchased this month should use the previous generation CPU and GPU since the latest generation isn't available within the required price range.

Building yourself vs pre-built:

Building yourself is a four step process:
1. Define your requirements. We can provide some advice.
2. Pick and purchase suitable parts. We can provide help.
3. Put the parts together. It's not difficult as long as you feel comfortable handling a screwdriver. Plenty of instruction videos available!
4. Installing all software.
What you get is a computer streamlined to fit your requirements as much as possible. Later modification/upgrading is a breeze. Any troubleshooting is up to you.

Pre-built:
1. Define your requirements. (Exactly the same as step 1. above.)
2. Find the computer that best meet your requirements. (In practice: What corner(s) are you willing to cut to meet the budget?)
What you get is a computer less suited for your needs. Overkill in one or two aspects while not really up to snuff in others. Later modification/upgrading can be problematic if non standard parts are used. You can hopefully get some help if things don't work.