Monitors with built in KVM switch

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

edh

Monitors with built in KVM switch

Post by edh » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:16 am

I am looking at rearranging my home office so that I can share the one keyboard, mouse and monitor across two systems: my personal Linux desktop and my work laptop. I'm fed up of having two desks so want to tidy things away into one workstation. Traditionally a KVM would suffice for this but there are now a couple of monitors out there with built in KVM switching. It's kind of amazing this hasn't always been a thing, maybe I just haven't seen it before.

The laptop will connect up with USB-C for everything while the desktop will be via DisplayPort and a USB A to B cable for USB functions. A USB keyboard and mouse will connect to the monitor wirelessly.

My needs are fairly varied from office tasks, web browsing, CAD to gaming. I am keen to go 4K anyway as have been running 1920x1200 since 2008. There are only a couple of 4K KVM monitors out there that I'm aware of:
BenQ PD2700U approx £450
Dell U3219Q approx £800

There are then a couple of curved screens with lower resolutions which I'm not too sure about. While they are cheaper than the 32" Dell they are more expensive than the 27" BenQ and have many less pixels.

Does anyone else have any knowledge of KVM monitors?

CA_Steve

Re: Monitors with built in KVM switch

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:14 am

edh wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:16 am
Does anyone else have any knowledge of KVM monitors?
Nope. :)

Have you considered getting a 40" class TV to use as a monitor instead? Downside is having to switch the TV input and also a KVM for the mouse and keyboard. Upsides are potential for lower cost and similar or better display quality and lots more real estate.

I've been happy with mine for single computer use. I expect if work requires a separate laptop, this is what I'll do.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:58 am

Oh, there is one minefield you'd have to transverse with a TV: HDR without a Displayport input. I went though this 2 years ago, so here's the gist of it as I remember.

- If the TV has HDMI 2.1 (rare on lower sized, lower priced TVs), and you have HDMI 2.1 on your PCs, you're set.

- If the TV has HDMI 2.0 and you have HDMI 2.0 on your PCs, then:
- you can run 8-bit 4:4:4 (uncompressed) through the HDMI output and call it a day.
- you can run 10-bit 4:2:2 through the HDMI output and it *might* work (age and version of the gpu..)
- you can run 10-bit 4:2:2 through the Displayport output, get a decent Displayport to HDMI adapter (mine's from Club 3D) and it should work.
- you can run 10-bit 4:2:0 through HDMI 2.0 and be horrified by the compression artifacts.

- If the TV has HDMI 2.0 and you have HDMI 2.1 on your PCs, then:
- you can run 8-bit 4:4:4 (uncompressed) through the HDMI output and call it a day.
- you can run 10-bit 4:2:2 through the HDMI output and it *should* work.
- you can run 10-bit 4:2:2 through the Displayport output, get a decent Displayport to HDMI adapter (mine's from Club 3D) and it should work.
- you can run 10-bit 4:2:0 through HDMI 2.0 and be horrified by the compression artifacts.

edh

Post by edh » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:53 am

Thanks Steve. I was hoping to avoid the separate KVM switch route just to provide the neatest possible configuration.

TV screens I think are a non-starter for me, not just for the reasons you mention but more for physical reasons - I need a screen that goes on the desktop with height and tilt adjustment. While I could wall mount or arm mount a TV to achieve the same, it perhaps eats into the cost benefit too far for the lower still image quality payoff that you will invariably have.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:23 pm

No problem. BTW, (if you aren't already familiar with them) Rtings.com is pretty decent for quality and feature comparisons. You can add Multiple Input Display and # of USB-C, etc to the column listings.