Antec Neo HE PSU Users Poll

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

How is your Antec Neo HE PSU working out?

Works great, no problems
48%
Works, but... (provide details)
14%
It failed (provide details)
38%

Total votes: 268

mrk22

Post by mrk22 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:23 am

My experiences with the NeoHE PSU in the P150 have been a little different than most, it seems.

I built a PC in December 2005 using this case/PSU. The MB was an Abit AN8-SLI. My PSU had a serial number of S0509...

I put the system together and everything worked fine. I did some stress testing of the CPU and memory and everything was fine. Then I did some stress testing of the video card (6800GT PCIe) and noticed an annoying hissing sound. It was coming from the PSU and sounded like electrical interference. It was quite irritating and quite loud whenever the video card was active. Later, I started to notice the sound would also occur when scrolling a web page. I confirmed the problem was with the NeoHE PSU by swapping in an Antec Smartpower 350 unit. There's no hissing at all without the NeoHE installed.

I took the PSU out of the case and noticed the warranty sticker was damaged like so many NeoHE units. I sent the PSU to Antec via RMA and received another PSU in a shrink-wrapped retail box. The warranty sticker of the new unit was also damaged. The new serial number was S0511...

I put the new PSU into the case and ran the video test. It seemed silent, but upon closer inspection I found that it wasn't. The electrical noise is still generated, but it is only audible within 1 or 2 inches of the PSU. The situation was a lot better than before, but not perfect.

Given the cost of shipping and the down time, I decided to keep this PSU and deal with it only if things got worse. They have not, but my confidence has been shaken. I love the features of the case, but this PSU issue has made the purchase decision bitter-sweet.

docjones

Antec Neo 430HE

Post by docjones » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:37 am

Works perfectly for me:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe /w Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2x Asus EN7600GS Silent in SLI configuration
300G Seagate HD
..and Antec Neo 430HE (/w serial S0603...)

I've had no problems with the above mentioned configuration. Has worked perfectly so far... and is very quiet in Antec P180B SPCR ed case!

*UPDATE 19.7.2006*
-
Still going strong. No problems at all.

-
DocJones
Last edited by docjones on Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

pepe

Antec psu Neo HE 550

Post by pepe » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:29 pm

Just lost my Thermaltake 780 psu in less than 5 months, just bought a new Antec Neo HE 550, it has been running for 6 hours and couple of games along test, the unit is stable as of now.
My pc is rigged as follows:
Asus a8n sli De Luxe mobo
2 giga Keyston memory
2 ea. Nvidia 7800 gt video cards 256
AMD 64 x 4200+ cpu
Shark all alum. case
2 ea. Hitachis 250 gb
2 ea. 120 mm fans
2 ea. 60mm fans
cd
dvd
floppy

I read here about the many trouble experienced with this combination and Antecs psu, lets see what happs., as of know all rock solid and stable

wesshull

One good, one bad... two more to go

Post by wesshull » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:31 pm

A couple of experiences to add, one good, one bad. Have been building some new machines for work, and ordered P150s from newegg (all praise the egg) for cases, which of course include Neo HE 430s.

The first machine worked without a hitch:
FX-60 (cooled by a Scythe Mine... Mmm, quiet)
Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe (my school of thought is "if it's stable for overclockers, it'll be damn stable for business use")
Gigabyte GV-NX76T256D-RH (One of their fanless cards. Yes, I put an nvidia card in a crossfire mobo, so what? :-P)
150GB Raptor
4 GB Patriot DDR-433
Plextor PX-760A

I can sit and run a couple of instances of Prime95 on the thing forever with zero problems, and it's been rock-stable at its real job (GIS) too.

Second machine, not so much:
FX-62 (with another Mine... they're on sale at coolerguys right now, and actually work on socket AM2)
MSI K9N Platinum
ATI FireGL V7100 (we already had, no way I'd spec this noisy overpriced monster--ArcGIS ain't SolidWorks)
150 GB Raptor
4 GB Corsair DDR2-reallybignum
some random DVD burner we already had, Liteon I think

This machine wouldn't even POST with the neo he 430; fans would spin for about a second, then stop. No beeps, and none of the LEDs on MSI's special diagnostic bracket would even light up. I was already aware of the reports of compat issues with the PS, so before I even tried anything else I replaced the power supply with a random cheap chinese piece of junk I had laying around, and the system works wonderfully (if more noisily than I would like).

A shame, really. I like the P150 cases, and I like how quiet the neo he 430 is when it actually works, and the modular cables are a nice touch too.

Since I was doing this for work I didn't really have time to be goofing around testing stuff; I haven't done any swaparoni with the system that's happy with its power supply, nor have I looked hard at the serial numbers or anything. If I get some time I may even bust out the voltmeter and clamp ammeter and see what's actually going on with these things.

(If you're wondering why I built two fairly different systems at about the same time, well, I was planning on building just the latter, but Monarch Computer lied about their stock, they lied about when they would ship, then they lied about cancelling my order and shipped anyway, after I had ordered something more available elsewhere... and I figured if I tried to return they would lie and screw that up too.)

The saga isn't over; I have parts for two more systems on order, again P150 cases but this time for lower-spec office systems, 930s on Abit boards. Will post how that turns out...

--wes

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: One good, one bad... two more to go

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:55 am

wesshull wrote:A couple of experiences to add, one good, one bad. Have been building some new machines for work, and ordered P150s from newegg (all praise the egg) for cases, which of course include Neo HE 430s.
As per the intial post in this thread, please post the serial numers and other particualrs of your NeoHE's. Thanks! :)

deeph

Post by deeph » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:25 am

SN# S06010176115
REV A3

Thought I would post my experience for people with older PCs. I am still running a Socket A AMD1800+, with Zalman 7000 ALCu, 4 HDDs off the motherboard and 1 HDD off an ide controller card. No CD, No FDD. Original power supply is a Aopen 250W with a Panaflo 80mm fan (which I replaced with the stock).

Install of the NeoHE 430W went ok, but when I hit the power button I have identical symptoms to previous users; either the CPU fan spins for a few seconds then turns off, or the CPU fan spins with the PSU on for an indefinite amount of time. The PC will not boot as the HDDs are not powered on.

I thought I would try the trick of adding more devices, so proceeded to load up the system with 1xCDR, 1xDVD, 1xMotherboard Fan. Along with this I had to disconnect the Zalman Fan Mate from the HSF and connect the fan straight into the motherboard. System now boots up ok. But now I have to put up with the Zalman at max power, and its loud (relatively) and with all the extra useless devices.

This is really too bad as the PSU is really quiet. So now I am back to my 250W with the Panaflo. Hoping there will be a solution in the near future. I cannot return the NeoHE PSU as it is 100% working, but with this low power problem. After reading a few suggestions on adding resistors I think this is the best way to go for now.

airrun76

ASUS WITH NEOHE FAIL STRESS TESTING. STRESS TEST RECOMMENDED

Post by airrun76 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:41 am

SN: S0604....
Version: A4
MB: A8N32-SLI
CPU: amd 64 x2 3800
graphics: evga 7900GT

This power supply, unfortunately did not work for me. I bought it for my new build pc last week, around first of July, at CompUsa. First off, it would run fine, when I first turned my pc on for the first time. However, it would shut off randomly, after sometime of use. So, I downloaded latest bios(1205) for the asus board. That seemed to solve the random shut off. Once pc was together, everything was smooth and working great.

Did 3dmark 06 test twice. Worked like a champ. No problems so far. Did stress testing with prime95. Computer shut off about 30 minutes into test. Also, same thing with memtest86. Would run about 30 minutes and shut off. The only clue I had was the log file from prime95. It did not show any errors from stress test. This lead me to believe that the psu could be the problem, since the computer would shut off, around the same amount of time of stress testing. I put in my older TPII 480W antec and all problems were solved. Stress test ran all night with prime95. As a side note, when using the neohe 550, I saw that one of my dual cores processors was sporadic in task manager. It didn't keep at full 100%. However, with TPII 480, both cores were full 100% with little fluctuation in task manager. The neohe 550 just didn't supply clean power to my system. It was fluctuating too much. Even though my multimeter showed everything was peachy within +-3%, the power supply was not cutting it. Weird. I'm not an electrician professional. So, I could be doing that wrong. :D

I was really dissappointed with the neohe 550. It is a great design and quite. The sleeved and removable wires was great. I was hoping to keep it far into the future for upgrades. Antec really dropped the ball on this particular unit. The problem maybe related only to asus motherboards, however, it's a PSU! That should be the last thing you would expect to have problems with when it comes to compatibility. If you have an asus, I would advice to go elsewhere for psu. Antec is great company. However, instead of RMA'ing the neohe, I'm going to just get my money back at CompUSA and stick with the Antec TruePowerII 480. The TPII-480 runs like a champ and is stable with my new system. It may not be SLI compliant, since it's not 500w or more, however, I would bet a good bit it would work just fine, if I ever add another 7900GT to my system. I guess I will find out, if I ever do go sli.

Check this link out: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=277. Notice my SN starts with S0604 and is an A4 version. So, according to the link, it should work. However, this is not the case for me. Antec is still great PSU, just not the neohe. I give it two thumbs down.

Ziplock

Post by Ziplock » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:10 pm

NEO HE 430
S06050273691 (May 2006)
Ver A4

P4 Prescott HT 2.8/800
Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu
Gigabyte 8IPE1000PRO-G
1GB PC3200 Dual Channel DDR
Geforce 6800GT 8x AGP
Sil3112 SATA RAID PCI card
HighPoint Rocketraid 133 PCI card
SBLive PCI card
x2 80gb IDE Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9
120gb SATA Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9
160gb SATA Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9
Plextor 712SA SATA DVD Burner

Bought this powersupply today from Frys (Austin, TX) as a replacement for my 300watt Sparkle. Purchase price was discounted from $89 to $49, which I thought was a great deal; this was not a returned item.

Since installation, my system has been rock solid stable. I ran through 4 hours of Prime95 (Normal Priority) and Real-time HDR IBL DX9 (16x Multisampling) with no issues. I later played 45 minutes of Oblivion, also with no hiccups. I have rebooted and shut the machine down multiple times, again no problems.

This may have to due with the newer date of manufacture. I suppose they have worked out the bugs? Maybe I just got lucky, either way I have been very happy with this PSU thus far. I will update if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

Cheers,

Zip

jd63146

Post by jd63146 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:01 am

NEO HE 430
S05100021266
Unable to find any type of revision sticker

TARGETED SYSTEM - Windows 2000 running GBPVR
AMD Sempron 2800+ (stock fan)
ECS 755A2 Socket 754 MB
2x 512M PC3200 DDR
Geforce 5200 8x AGP
Seagate 250GB 7200 RPM IDE + Seagate 300GB 7200 RPM SATA
2x Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 tuners
Samsung DL DVD Burner

I tested this PS on an older system I have running in a web/mail server. That is a 2U case with a Shuttle MB that has an integrated Adaptec UW SCSI controller with an Intel PII-400 CPU. I have 256M PC-100 SDRAM installed. Storage is via a Quantum 3.2G IDE and two IBM 4.5G UW SCSI drives running RAID 1. Two PCI Intel Pro 100 NICs handle the network duties.

The Neo 430 is on sale this weekend at Fry's. I knew better than to trust that they would be selling an updated model - but at the $49 price point I figured it was worth a try. I was wrong. When I looked on the shelf there were approx 8 returned power supplies ... that should have told me what I could expect. Upon arriving at home and opening the box I found that the warranty sticker had been sliced and the date code showed October 2005. I didn't expect much after that.

I believe that Frys is running their sale in order to clean out their inventory of these products. They are letting their customer base test the stocked products to find out which ones to return to Antec. And that's almost worse in my opinion then Antec letting these supplies out to their customer base. Oh wait a minute ... this is Frys that I'm ranting about. The have no scrupples and really don't care what happens. There will always be another customer to wander in.

My plans are to return the product to Frys and order the Seasonic S12-330 from Newegg. The base price difference is only $6 and I'll gladly pay the $8 shipping. Heck, its gonna cost me about $15 in gas spent with two round trips to Frys.

UPDATE: Based on the post dated Jun 18th by olderguy ... I was able to get this PS up and running on my mail server. I used two 50 ohm 10W sand filled resistors in parallel (25 ohm effective resistance) and tied it to the 12V rail. That results in about 6 watts of power generated diretly into heat. As olderguy says ...
OTOH, is this really 'high-efficiency' if you have to dump power into a resistor?
Even though its running I don't trust it. I consider the unit to be a failed device and will return the Antec in favor of the Seasonic.

That's my two cents - but your mileage may vary

>>JD<<

aleksunder

Re: Antec Neo HE PSU Users Poll

Post by aleksunder » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:17 pm

Hi - new here, first post.

I've been running a NeoHE 380 since 11/05 in my ageing, but quiet and faithful Asus TUSL2-based PC. It replaced a Nexus NX3000.

All good, completely stable except for MBM 5 reporting -5V at -6.13V. A bit weird - the Nexus was within +/- 5%.

The fan is quiet (tho' no more so than the Nexus), but a trace of what I think is coil-whine.

As I said, my PC is stone-age, but very quiet (and very stable), I live in a studio (1-room) flat, quiet is important - it's my hi-fi, DVD player, TV, modest gaming console etc.

Asus TUSL2-C (x86-secret BIOS)
1.4 GHz Pentium III-S @ 1.54 GHz (Nexus 8cm fan resistored to 9V)
MSI FX5700 Graphics (8cm Panaflo fan under the card @7V)
512 MB Crucial SDRAM
2x 80GB Seagate 7200.7
2x DVDR combis
PCI SCSI card
M-Audio DIO2448 sound card
Hauppauge Nova-T PCI digital terrestrial TV tuner
12cm Nexus intake and exhaust fans (exhaust resistored to 9V)

Make of it what you will.

I've still got the Nexus PSU in case the Neo-HE croaks.

edit >> Belatedly realized I forgot to include the serial# for the Neo 380; S05090011***. Sep 05 - Uh oh.

edit2 see MikeC's correction below - there is NO -5v rail, so the MBM reading is spurious.
Last edited by aleksunder on Tue May 22, 2007 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

curts

Post by curts » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:07 pm

Case: Antec P150, purchased 1/2006
Neo HE 430: S05110048717
MB: Soltek SL-K890Pro-939
Video: PCIe XFX 6800 GS extreme

Corsair XMS TwinX 1GB (default voltage)
PCI Creative SB 16
WD 20 GB IDE
DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA II
HP 9100 CDRW
Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S

PSU partially failed after about 20 hrs of operation; major bummer after having just assembled this new system. :( Swapped out the Neo HE 430 with a 480W white box PSU and system worked OK. Filed trouble ticket with Antec support and promptly received a RMA#. Received a replacement Neo HE 430 three weeks after shipping the old one.

Thus far the replacement is stable.
Last edited by curts on Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Antec Neo HE PSU Users Poll

Post by MikeC » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:18 pm

aleksunder wrote:All good, completely stable except for MBM 5 reporting -5V at -6.13V. A bit weird - the Nexus was within +/- 5%.
The -5V line has not been a requirement of the ATX12V spec since v1.3. That's maybe 3 years ago. MBM5 is trying to report something that isn't there.

Aussie FX

Post by Aussie FX » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:51 am

Hi,
First time here.

I thought I had better post my experience.
I have a Neo HE 550 s/n S06010............
My experience with this PSU has been nothing short of spectacular.
I do have a high end system though.
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI/DR Expert
AMD Opteron 170 running at 2950mhz on stock HSF
2x 1gb OCZ PC4000 platinum EB
2x Evga 7900gt KO in SLI 500/1500
2x 74gig Raptors
2x WD 120gb in raid 0
2x LG dvd multi
Creative X-FI extreme music
5 case fans
I have never seen anything that would remotely concern me with this PSU
although I was a little sceptical of it handling the 2nd vga card and all I saw was a drop in the 12v line down to 11.96.
Just reading through all the posts here and yes it did take a while, it seems that a lot of the problems are coming from relatively low powered processors. In some cases there even seemed to be quite a few peripherals plugged in, so it might be a combination of a few things. What the answer to all this is, I wouldn't have a clue. I do however sympathise with those having troubles, as there is nothing more frustrating than a pc with an intermittent fault.
All I can really add is that in my years of computing, going back to Commodore plus 4 days, is that I have exclusively owned Antec powersupplies and have always been highly impressed by them.
I am, however concerned to see the lack of care/responsibility shown by them in this matter. Surely a company of this size and this much experience should have cottoned onto this much earlier, it looks like they have known about this for at least the last 12 months.
If this ever happened in the aviation industry I'm sure there would be a lot less of us walking on this planet today.
Anyway my 2 cents and sorry for the ramble.

NTS

Post by NTS » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:32 am

Bought a NeoHE 430 today. No problem whatsoever. On 12V1 there's my videocard + diskette drive, on 12V3 there's my hard drives + DVD-drives + fan controller.

MSI K8N Neo2 S939 nForce3
AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+
1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Corsair HSP
Asus V9999GT Geforce 6800GT 128 MB
2 x 80GB Maxtor Diamondmax 9+
Nec ND3500AG DVDRW
Asus E612P2 DVD
3 80mm case fan
loads of USB
AKASA fan controller
Arctic 64 Pro-cooler
etc...

jacorob

Failed NeoHE 430

Post by jacorob » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:52 pm

Running with old Asus A7v600-x.

PS Serial: S05120168311 with A3 on serial sticker. Push power button, turns on for half a second, then shuts down.

PS came with P150 case purchased from NewEgg last week. Working on returning PS to Antec now...

Bob

Lloyd84

Post by Lloyd84 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:28 pm

Neo HE 550w here.
S/N S0603...
Rev A3.1

So far (10 days) it has performed flawlessly.

geobrick

UPDATE: NEO-HE-430 Failed and took MB with it

Post by geobrick » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:59 pm

Upadate 2: It is working again. See my update description Here: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... &start=540

It's on page 19 (dated Sep 3, 2006)

My motherboard however is still dead.

Picked it up on a few days ago at Frys (They had a discount plus a rebate).

The Serial Number starts with S0601...

It is powering a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra 939 with an Athlon 64 3700+

So far it's been fine.
See above link. It failed a week after I posted this.

Cal Davis

Re: One good, one bad... two more to go

Post by Cal Davis » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:05 am

wesshull wrote:FX-62 (with another Mine... they're on sale at coolerguys right now, and actually work on socket AM2)
MSI K9N Platinum
ATI FireGL V7100 (we already had, no way I'd spec this noisy overpriced monster--ArcGIS ain't SolidWorks)
150 GB Raptor
4 GB Corsair DDR2-reallybignum
some random DVD burner we already had, Liteon I think

This machine wouldn't even POST with the neo he 430; fans would spin for about a second, then stop. No beeps, and none of the LEDs on MSI's special diagnostic bracket would even light up. I was already aware of the reports of compat issues with the PS, so before I even tried anything else I replaced the power supply with a random cheap chinese piece of junk I had laying around, and the system works wonderfully (if more noisily than I would like).
--wes
This is the exact problem that I had.

Antec P150 Case
NeoHE 430, Vers. A4, Ser. #S0604....
Abit KN9-Ultra, Bios 1.5(latest)
AMD AM2 3500+
Asus 7600GS
Corsair XMS2 2GB TWIN2X2048-5400C4
Windows XP Professional

When I would hit the power button, the fans would spin for a second then the system would go dead. The power button became non operational until I turned off the power supply 3 or 4 times then miraculously it would boot. But when I went to turn it back on again it would be dead. When I replaced the PSU with a TruePower 2 everything worked fine. I then took the NeoHE430 and put into a different system with an ASUS A8N-SLI mobo and it worked fine during some testing. Antec has agreed to RMA the PSU but I'm concerned that it is a compatability issue with the AM2 boards or maybe the NVIDIA nForce570 chipset. Notice that Wes' board is the same nForce570 chipset.

unibomber51

Post by unibomber51 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:04 am

my neohe 430 came with antec p150 case that i bought a week ago. it was one of those old ones with the ripped sticker. It was able to allow me to go into the bios menu on the p5w dh no problem the first time but woudn't get past post and restarted it self. then it just kept restarting and restarting, never getting past post. I tired it out on my friends p5gl-mx and it woudn't even start up. the fans would spin but no display menu. tying to get anitec to rma it but they are being cheap asses and made me run back and forth a few times. Not very happy about it.

Yorkrose

Post by Yorkrose » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:57 pm

I am building a new system based on:

Antec P180 case
Antec NeoHE 430 PSU
Intel DG965WH Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
4 x 1 GB Kingston 667 DDR2
3 x Seagate 7200.10 320 SATA in RAID 5
2 x Lite-On DVDRW
(No add-on video card at this time)

I experienced the same problem mentioned here by numerous writers. Upon application of the AC power the system pulses on about every two seconds, indefinitely. The front panel power switch has no effect. Here is what I have tried so far.

* Replaced Mobo. No change at all

* Removed all components from Mobo except CPU and fan, even the memory. Removed CMOS battery. System acted more or less normally. Did not start upon AC power, but did start when front panel switch was pressed. Of course the result was three beeps for no memory, and nothing more. The front panel switch would not even turn the power off.

* Tried various loads, including 10 ohm resistor, several old drives, and multiple fans. No change at all.

* Replaced PSU with Antec SmartPower 350. System started right up without difficulty.

* Updated BIOS and disabled all wake on lan, quick resume, even speed step.

* Tried NeoHE 430 again. This time nothing happened when the AC power was switched on. This probably is related to the wake and quick resume stuff. When the front panel switch was pressed, the pulse every two seconds mode started. However, this dies our after a few pulses.

* The NeoHE seems to work fine in a bench test when the PS-ON# signal (green wire) is grounded. All voltages are in spec. This works either with zero load or with a few fans attached; no difference.

I have come to believe that this now well-known behavior is not directly related to PSU loading. Yes, loading helps in some cases. However, the problem actually appears more related to timing and handshaking between the PSU and the Mobo. It is possible that the PSU does not respond in a timely fashion with the power-good signal when it is lightly loaded, even thought the PSU would eventually turn on. The Mobo goes into a protective mode and de-asserts the PS-ON# signal. This leads to the pulsing effect. It is also possible that the 5VSB line is not held up properly when the PSU fires up, but that seems unlikely.

In any case, I will stick with the SP 350 for now. If someone figures out what is really wrong with the NeoHE I may try it again.

Yorkrose

Post by Yorkrose » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:30 am

Sorry, I forgot to mention the specifics of the PSU.

NeoHE 430, S/N S06050273727
Stamped A4, and a small blue dot is pasted on the S/N sticker.
Purchased online from PCNation around September 1, 2006.
Appears to have been shipped from Ingram Micro out of Tennessee warehouse.
Unit arrived in original cellophane wrap, and security sticker was (and still is) intact.

shadowfire1

Post by shadowfire1 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:01 am

I bought a p150 and the neo he 430 failed after 5 minites, takeing my nvidia 6800 grafix card with it. Same problem with power pulses/no boot up,and even with good psu the computer still would't post(garbage on screen).
When I sent it to antec hey refused to replace the part they fried and there psu claiming that there psu was "fine", in addition they said the mobo was broken(it was fine,unlike the psu)makeing me waste a extra 50 bucks buying a replacement mobo to test the system with, which had the same problem as before, untill i swaped out graphics card for a pcie one ( new mobo is asrock duel vga)
If I had the parts to diagnose the problem myself then it might not of been such a pain in the ass, and I would go to the better business borough but I don’t think the money is worth dealing with Antec again.
full story here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php? ... y+computer

edit: neohe 430 serial # S06040258530 purchaced from newegg , came with a p150. I bought it in the middle of june '06. The old rubber bands prone to snaping came with the case , so I wouldn't be supprised if the psu is a older revision also.
motherbord is a msi k8n neo 2 platnum, unsure of revision and bios as I havent really messed with it for the 3 years I had it.

As to the second comment: The card that is dead was a 6800 A.G.P., connected with a 4 pin Molex connecter to the psu. I will check the pins though to see if it could have shorted somehow.

What do you mean by unplugged and power cycled? I turned the switch on and off a few times, etc while testing to see how it was dead, and I did have it unplugged and off for 2 days before sending it out. Right before I packed it I double checked it just to be sure it didn’t somehow fix it self, and it was still not working. Would that of let it “power cycleâ€
Last edited by shadowfire1 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:56 pm

Shadowfire1: I think you need to re-read the first post in this topic. Allow me to quote the pertinent rules for this thread:
Give as much of the relevant technical specifics as you can. Such as: the serial number off the PSU, purchase source, and purchase date. Since these failures are related to the motherboards used, also include the make, model, revision, and BIOS version of your board.
Keep your posts CIVIL and ON-TOPIC! This thread is not an excuse for Antec-bashing.
Please update the technical information about your power supply, and please refrain from ranting. Your post will either be deleted or moved if you do not update it.

I am sorry to hear about your failure, but it sounds to me like you are blaming the wrong component. If your graphics card failed, but Antec found your RMA'ed Neo HE to be fine, surely that's a sign that the graphics card was at fault? It is quite likely that your graphics card tripped the short circuit protection on the Neo HE when it went, which would make it seem as though the power supply had failed, however, once unplugged and power cycled, the protection circuit should have reset itself and the Neo HE would be working again.

I suspect there may be another explanation though. How careful were you when you hooked up the PCIe cable to the Neo HE? It is possible to plug the cable in backwards, feeding the wrong voltages through the cable. If you did this, I would not be surprised to see symptoms similar to those you described. That would explain why only the graphics card failed, and it would explain why the PSU would not start up again after the failure had occurred.

TennSCN

Neo 430 HE w/ Intel DG965WH

Post by TennSCN » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Case: Antec P150
PSU: Neo 430HE (s/n: S06050272926)
M/B: Intel DG965WH
CPU: C2D E6400
2 Gb DDR2-800, (2) Seagate 120's and DVD/RW

Purchased from Page Computers 9/11/06.
Assembled all and it wouldn't POST. I read here and yonder, added a case fan load to the 12v line, added a PCI-E video card to the 12v line; still wouldn't POST. All fans momentarily and intermittantly spin at about 2 second intervals.

I pulled the Neo 430HE, replaced with Seasonic S-12/500 (for another build) and it booted right up! All OS/driver/software install has been normal with the S-12. Stress tests run well and very cooool.

I thought Antec had corrected these problems early in 2006. If I understand the serial number code, this one was produced 5/2006 (?) Too bad, I really like the modular cabling scheme, it makes for a VERY clean case build in the P150 case; they should sell it without this PSU. Now I get to experience the RMA process...

Thanks to everyone for their posts, here. I would have thought I had assembled something wrong or zapped a circuit. You are helping.

10SCN

panda-R

Re: Neo 430 HE w/ Intel DG965WH

Post by panda-R » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:19 pm

Case: Antec P150
PSU: Neo 430HE (s/n: S0511xxxxxxx)
M/B: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

Used for 1 full day now. Seems to be working on for everything I've thrown at it. No Startup/boot issues, has not crashed, has worked overnight. Hope that it will stay this way, because this PSU is QUIET and the modular cables are dope.

Oh Also, the PSU has a broken warranty sticker and no revision stickers. The stamp on the case says 2005-11-29.

unibomber51

Post by unibomber51 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:15 pm

I just got my PSU back from RMA the new one is a revision A4.
everything is running fine now.

BTW rma time to arrival time to vancouver:~3weeks

picture_perfect

`

Post by picture_perfect » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:39 pm

psu - neo he430
serial # S06080322047
revision - A4
vendor - page computer
ordered - oct 14, 2006
mobo - bfg VNF4U
mobo model - NF-CK804 - VN61F210C-00
chipset - n-force 4 ultra
plug&play version - 1.0
smbios/dmi version - 2.20
bios - phoenix-award ver. 6.00 PG

turns on, quits immediatly (got it running once tho). its now oct 2006 and took a chance the problems would be fixed - bah :evil:
anyway, the seasonic 430 replacement did fine.
i isolated the problem to my particular mobo/ram/cpu configuration -big surprise.

p.s. chaintech are the suppliers for BFG so be carefull of that also

fxtl

Post by fxtl » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:26 am

Psu: Neo HE430, broken warranty seal
Serial: S05120130177

Mobo: Asus A7N8X Deluxe (nForce2)
Bios: Don't remember, the latest available :P This is an old board, it uses only a single 20 pin power connector.
CPU: Athlon XP 2100 MHz
Ati Radeon 9550
Two hard drives and one DVD-ROM

The PSU is completely dead, fans are not turning at all. It is receiving power, the "standby led" on the motherboard lights up, and also the traffic indicator on the Ethernet connector. I got it with a white P150 case, the case has the old style rubber rings.

Disconnecting different components doesn't help. This is a 100% working setup (unless Neo HE broke it now :P), it has worked for years with a noisy no-name PSU.

richard13

Post by richard13 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:18 am

PSU: Neo HE 550
S/N: S06070314620
Mobo: ECS P4M800Pro-M
Video: ATI All In Wonder Pro 9800

The power supply works just great as long as I don't use it with my ATI AIW card (above). There seems to be an incompatability between the two because the system will not turn on unless I unplug the floppy connector from the card (AGP cards like this require external power aside from the AGP bus). But when I do that the system won't boot because the video card needs it plugged in. I replaced the AIW with a ATI x1600 AGP card and my system booted and worked just fine. I think the problem has something to do with the power supply's overvoltage protection circuit. The card is probably pulling more power than expected and the PSU just shuts down in reaction to that. I'd like to add that I had the same issue with a Neo HE 430 (so I know it's not the Neo HE 550).

To me this isn't really a big deal because it is an older AGP card that I will replace soon. However, I am a bit surprised that Antec's e-mail support isn't all that good. I have a support ticket open with them regarding this issue and they have been pretty slow on the responses. They answer about once a week with very little useful information.

In spite of all this I still think the Neo HE is a pretty good power supply! It runs nice and quiet and I love the modular connectors that allow me to have a minimum of cables in the case. The cables themselves are nicely wrapped with good connectors at the ends. I'd recommend these PSUs to anyone.

James Matthews

Post by James Matthews » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:46 am

I purchased my Antec P150 with Neo HE430W PS brand new in original carton with broken warranty sticker on 3/16/06 from Data Doctors, a neighborhood repair shop. I was trying to build a quiet system to use as my home computer but it didn't turn out that way.

SN 05110048038

Gigabyte GA-K8NS (Rev 2.0) nForce3 250 chipset
Award BIOS Rev F19
1GB Kingston 512 sticks
AMD 64 Sempron 3400+
Nvidia MX/MX400 AGP
Seagate SATA 80GB, WD IDE 40GB
Liteon DVD-RW, ASUS CDROM

I really wanted to run the unit on the low fan setting since I don't have that much stuff that generates heat but lo and behold the mobo would not post.

After much head-scratching and reseating connectors I found that setting the fan on medium or high would work but this is not what I bought the unit for. I have moved the modular PS plugs around into every possible permutation and combination to no avail.

Gigabyte told me to put some more peripherals/PCI cards that I really didn't need into the case to load up the PS. This was almost as repugnant to me as hanging a useless resistor on one of the 12V rails.

Anyhow, I scavenged a 1.4W 12V fan from an old CPU and hooked it up. Now my unit will post on the low fan setting but duh? I added another noise source.
(Actually the AMD CPU fan is the noisiest thing in the system.)

I really am loathe to return the Neo since it does work and the replacement may not.

As of this writing I have ordered a Vantec 92mm Stealth fan PSF9225L from Newegg in the hope that it will be quieter than running the P150 fan on medium.