Need buying advice - silent laptop primarily for PDF/typing

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wusupdu

Need buying advice - silent laptop primarily for PDF/typing

Post by wusupdu » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:33 pm

Hello all!

Am buying a laptop as my Shuttle is a tad too noisy for me, even with Speedfan ...etc....

I would prefer to be able to have two documents side by side, will be sitting in front of hours in a stretch (or two)....

Have been looking at the Dell X1 and Samsung Q30 but am worried that they are somewhat small to be working at length with (not to mention the sparse space, small fonts on the 12" screen).

Anyones got any tips? Someone who does similar work on the X1?

Cheers!!!

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:05 pm

Practically all Dells allow you to turn off the fans with http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

Two documents side by side doesn't work for me at anything less than 1280x1024, so you might have to go for one with at least a 15.4" screen and higher / widescreen resolution.

PS. If you search the forum, there's already a fair bit of info about the X1 and similar laptops.

gasganet

Post by gasganet » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:41 am

I bought a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo and it is quiet enough for me but the right wrist area gets very hot and it becomes uncomfortable after some time. I guess typing will be very painful in the summer...

You should look for details like this one because silence is important but you may want a notebook that doesn’t cook your hands.