The Samsung solid state notebook....

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PizPump

The Samsung solid state notebook....

Post by PizPump » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:10 pm

Does anyone here have any insider news from Samsung about when the solid state notebooks will go into production?

Looking to pick up a notebook, but am waiting for a solid state unit to be released...

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:42 pm

Initially I thought this was an April Fool's joke - the idea of a solid-state notebook seems a little far-fetched at the moment. I Googled for it, though, and I think I have an answer for you.

Samsung aren't releasing a solid state notebook. They've announced a product which is being touted as a "solid-state notebook drive", but that's a bit of a misrepresentation, too. What they are describing is also known as a "hybrid drive". It's a hard drive with flash memory on-board. Sectors which are frequently accessed get stored in flash, sectors which are accessed comparatively rarely are stored on regular hard disk. The choice of location can be set by the operating system, so Windows XP might choose to place the NTFS master table in flash because it is accessed frequently. Note that this drive is NOT entirely solid state, so it is still vulnerable to damage from shock, like a regular hard drive.

Anyway, you should be able to get a hybrid drive soon, and then you can put it into a notebook.

JonV

Post by JonV » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:25 pm

No, Samsung has definitely announced a 32GB solid-state drive. It's not an April Fool's joke - they even showed laptops equipped with such drives as prototypes at this year's CeBIT.

They're apparently slated to go into production late this year. Pricing hasn't been announced, and I'm guessing it'll be well into 2007 before you can buy a laptop with one of these inside. So if you plan on waiting for it, you better be patient.

As for a hybrid drive, that seems to be even further back in the pipeline. I'm assuming the goal of such a drive would be to combine the speed and power savings of an SSD with the relative low price per GB of old-fashioned spinning platters.