dell inspiron 9400 with 7900GS

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cloneman

dell inspiron 9400 with 7900GS

Post by cloneman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:54 pm

I know this isn't the laptop forum, but no one posts messages there :cry:

Does anyone own this laptop (with that videocard condfiguration?) From what I can tell it has 2 fans (1 CPU, 1 VGA). I'm wondering if one or both can be controlled by i8kfangui, and more importantly, weather it can be done silently. More specifically:

1) What are the default start/stop temperatures for each fan

2) What is the default low setting for each fan (e.g. 2000rpm

3) If everything is set to minimum power wise, and the fans are manually turned off via i8kfangui, how long does it take for the system to reach high temps (~65CPU/ ~75 VGA)

4) And also very importantly, does i8kfangui support variable adjustment of the fan (instead of steps)

If someone can provide very certain iformation about this (actually downloading software and doing these tests) I will compensate you.
(as it may take a good half hour to answer all of these questions with some certainty.

Thanks!

nbac
Patron of SPCR

Post by nbac » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:30 am

Only second hand information (as I'm interested in this model too)

It sounds awful on max, and yes it turns the fans on and of in a very
annoying manner.

But from what I have read, it supports i8kfangui (Google!), which helps
to reduce the problem somewhat. But even in idle the fans need to
spin (slowly).

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: dell inspiron 9400 with 7900GS

Post by MikeC » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:05 am

cloneman wrote:I know this isn't the laptop forum, but no one posts messages there :cry:
It is no reason to post in the wrong forum. Your post has obviously been moved to the correct one. The chance of someone with that model noticing your post here in the notebook forum is much higher than elsewhere.

BTW, the review at notebookreview states:
The 9400 has two fans, one for the video card and the other for the CPU. The fans are programmed to come on at certain temperatures, so during light usage (word processing, email, etc.), the fans rarely come on, and if they do it's only at low speeds, so the noise is barely noticeable. However, during gaming, the laptop does get very hot and when the fans come on, they are very noisy, so headphones are a must.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:33 pm

I ended up buying this laptop. Much better acoustics than anticipated.
Review here: viewtopic.php?t=33854