HP Pavilion g6 2260sm - salvageable?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jerky

HP Pavilion g6 2260sm - salvageable?

Post by Jerky » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:15 am

Hello guys, I was browsing and came across this website randomly. This is probably a long shot but I've had a HP Pavilion g6 2260sm laptop for a few years. The laptop is good, runs fast enough for its purpose (office, email, occasionally gaming). It lags a bit on Win 8 w/ multiple programs running, but it's low on ram and win 8 sucks, so that's all good. The problem is the fan. When I have the PC on for a while and the ambient temperature is not 5°C, the fan will inevitably turn on, and ramp up no matter what I do (even reading email is enough), and it's really loud :( I have a PC with a patched-up gpu that doesn't release heat well, and the laptop is louder :( All parts are stock, nothing was changed. Thx for reading and I hope something can be changed :)

CA_Steve

Re: HP Pavilion g6 2260sm - salvageable?

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:48 am

Welcome to SPCR.

If it used to be quiet and is now loud, it might just be a build up of dust. Open that puppy up and blow it out with compressed air. Be sure not to spin up the blower fan while doing so - you can over-rev/kill it.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi, I second the opinion to open up the laptop and clean out the cooling system.
My experience is it's not so much dust, that can be blown out with out dismantling, but fluff. I've found many a laptop with their heat sinks well blocked up with fluff, the only way to remove it is to take it apart.
On some laptops this is an easy process but looking at the "Maintenance and Service Guide" http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03593126 it looks like a more involved job on yours, but well worth doing.

Regards, Seb

Jerky

Post by Jerky » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:57 pm

That's a mighty check list :o Thanks tho, I'll give it a try once I muster up some courage :D