my first totally silent pc - HDPLEX H5

Closely moderated reviews by forum members willing to share their experience and accept stiff peer review. Open only to registered forum members.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

hunhun

my first totally silent pc - HDPLEX H5

Post by hunhun » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:13 am

I have built my first HTPC, or totally silent pc mainly for audio, but also for video (occasionally).
I build in my old components into a HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5, so to CPU is now on passive cooling :)

Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5
i7-4785T
2x8Gb G-skill
Asus Essence STX II
ssd 120gb
Evga G3 550 (silent mode)

There was some minor issues with the EVGA psu placement, but those were manageable (screw spacing is not really designed for ATX PSU).

I'm very happy with result and really like the design of this case.
I have plans to upgrade later the at PSU line and leave out the EVGA G3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CA_Steve

Re: my first totally silent pc - HDPLEX H5

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:31 am

Welcome to SPCR and congrats on your build. I'm a fan of HDPlex for uses cases such as this. Yeah, the G3 isn't ideal, but your power use is minimal. So, it should only generate 5-10W of waste heat.

hunhun

Post by hunhun » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:53 am

Thanks.
Yes, for this use the G3 is just ok. Its ventilation never turns on while playing music or movies.
It's ok until I get some proper linear PSUs for the whole PC. I've already get one external linear power supply for the STX2 and I'm really pleased with it.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:14 am

Welcome to SPCR!!!

Nice build, really like it.
I have plans to upgrade later the at PSU line and leave out the EVGA G3.
If you wish to go fanless, SilverStone Technology SST-NJ450-SXL or you can wait to see what larry delivers with the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX.

hunhun

Post by hunhun » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:40 am

The SST-NJ450-SXL would give me more space inside the case. There is 1-2mm height left with the G3, very-very tight overall.
But yes, a HDPLEX 200W Linear Power Supply and a HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX are in my mind right now for an upgrade.