socket A issues with zalman

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ckamc

socket A issues with zalman

Post by ckamc » Tue May 03, 2005 1:11 pm

I just baught a zalman 7000B-AlCu LED HSF for my socket A and learned *yes i even checked with zalman before hand but they didnt know* if it would work with my mobo *MSI KT6V*.

Well all goes to show that the holes I need are not there on motherboard and thus I need a new socket A mobo *this kt600 chipset sucks anyways* and preferably looking into another MSI.

Any recommendations on what board to get so I can install my zalman? BTW my sempron just died so back to crappy 1800+ xp till my 3200+ comes in.

ckamc

Post by ckamc » Tue May 03, 2005 10:31 pm

just found this

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813136153

good choice or bad?

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813127162

Is that one supporting the zalman because I couldnt find out anything about it from the zalman site and not sure when I zoomed in on the images of the board weather there where mounting holes next to the cpu or not

kevinc

Post by kevinc » Wed May 04, 2005 12:24 am

Re the quality of the information from Zalman: I checked the Zalman site for compatibility information between my Epox EP-8KTA3 and the 7000B. The site lists the pair as compatible but in reality there are some electrolytic caps that the heatsink cuts into when the heatsink is placed on the CPU. I just stuck a piece of Nomex between the caps and the heatsink, but the whole thing is physically stressed a bit and if I were Zalman I probably wouldn't have listed this combination as "compatible."

Kevin

JvT

Post by JvT » Wed May 04, 2005 12:39 am

As far as I can see, both boards will do.

The second board could have a small problem with the large component on the right side of the socket.

Anyway, if you get a board, where the Zalman doesn't fit in the usual manner, you can always install the Zalman through the motherboard holes.

I hope my "drawings" are understandable

Usual method (East-West):

Code: Select all

o ##### o            o = Motherboard mouning hole
 /  #####  \           # = Socket
x===========x          x = Mounting of Zalman
 \  #####  /           = = Holddown clip on Zalman
  o ##### o
Alernative method (Northwest-Southeast):

Code: Select all

x ##### o             o = Motherboard mouning hole
  =####               # = Socket
  ##=##               x = Mounting of Zalman
  ####=               = = Holddown clip on Zalman
o ##### x
Then there's the Southwest-Northeast way but I'm not gonna "draw" that.

When using an "Alternative method" you'll need a lot of "spacers".

I have a Nforce2 board (ABIT NF7-S rev. 2) where I have a Zalman mounted the "Alternative way", because Zalman says on their homepage that the cooler doesn't fit on my board.
So even if Zalman says that their cooler doesn't fit a board, it might do anyway. Mounting holes in the motherboard is a must though!

So dont hold back on a Nforce2 board it you want one.

Carsten

PS: pls. excuse my english if it's all rubbish (not understandable) as my native language is Danish.

ckamc

Post by ckamc » Wed May 04, 2005 12:09 pm

Thanks for the posts everyone.

Yes the mounting holes are a must and I guess even when it lists the Ultra NF2 as incompatable but then the regular edition is compatable.... zalman sure made it tricky to mount this fan!!

if anyone else has any other suggestions on other socket a boards that work with this HSF please besure to post up!

P.S. please post links to products that are still avaliable/still in stock