Aopen Pentium M ATX mobo with desktop chipset

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:13 am

Found a preview, There's one thing that's quite wierd. The only PCIEx1 slot is placed next to the PCIEx16, but there's no slot on the other side, stupid!! They should have moved that PCIEx1 one step down.
What's even more strange is that the two PCIE slots are not in line..
..like they are are on all boards, like this Epox 8NPA+ SLI. I don't get it. It cannot be PCIE, but it surely looks like it.
Horrible placements of the power connectors and non P4-style mounting holes for HSF. :shock:
It does have a connector for a thermal probe (I think it is) though.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:10 am

If this board was ment for overclocking. Why didnt they do it right. Make socket wholes, like a p4 with socket 478.
Thanks

MikeMcLarenF1

Post by MikeMcLarenF1 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:23 pm

YEAH what the heck? I was wondering about the PCI-E 1X slot when I checked the photos. What do they plan for people to fit in it? Even if it fits it doesn't line up with the slot!

Well ok... It seems like the Aopen is badly designed? I'm in the process of building a PM rig, just... not settled on the mobo yet. I was sincerely moved by the ASUS's, since the CT479 IS a cheap investment, and being in posession of a few boards, I am heavily influenced by their rock-stable reliability. What I don't like, is the fact that I don't get the PCI-E slots. (as I plan on a 6800GT express version) P4G could work, but I'm building a M-ATX rig, possibly with the Aspire QPack, so I guess my only choice of ASUS boards is the P4P800-VM. Not a bad board really though.

Moreover, I could really do with unlocked multipliers, voltages, and the speedstep technology at my disposal. These are options only available on the DFI's and Aopens, but, I'm not sure if I want to go with not-so reliable equipment and/or proprietary "retarded" HSF's...........

I mean, the only thing that the ASUS is missing is the PM special features, and the PCI-E. So is it worth saving my money for? I only have enough to buy ONE board, since if I buy both I can't buy anything else, and have to wait a century to save enough again. So, imo, I should get the best of all worlds when I do decide to cash out.

(By the way, I don't have any of the P-M capable boards, so in case of the ASUS, I would be grabbing a whole set, not just the CT-479. That makes my expenses much closer to that of the 915GMm.)

hmsrolst
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hmsrolst » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:34 pm

With the P4P800-VM you do get multiplier options in the BIOS, and you can use Clockgen to up the FSB. Nonetheless, unlike the other P4P800 boards, you can't get a very high FSB with the -VM.

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:53 pm

Yeah I don't understand why it's so hard to make simple PM mobo, no VGA, desktop chipset, decent BIOS and P4 mounting holes! And $150 max. The HTPC people already got a nice µATX version with lots of connectors and features. Asus still got the best solution IMO. All the others (DFI, MSI, Aopen, Soltek, Shuttle) got at least one thing wrong: price.

MikeMcLarenF1

Post by MikeMcLarenF1 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:57 pm

Mats wrote:Yeah I don't understand why it's so hard to make simple PM mobo, no VGA, desktop chipset, decent BIOS and P4 mounting holes! And $150 max. The HTPC people already got a nice µATX version with lots of connectors and features. Asus still got the best solution IMO. All the others (DFI, MSI, Aopen, Soltek, Shuttle) got at least one thing wrong: price.
exactly what I was thinking. thank you very much. I could make do with NO onboard video, no on board sound, and then, PCI-E 16X, PCI-E 1X, 2x PCI slots. I got my own video, i got my own sound, and I got my own wifi. Stop putting in unnecessary on-board devices as an excuse to jack the board prices sky high. It's not like the on-board devices are worth my time anyways. the GMA900 has Geforce 3 power, the on-board 8 channel, still doesn't have sound quality like my Audigy 2.

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:12 pm

It looks like the PCIEx1 is the one in the wrong place. Really embarrassing, but it wouldn't bother me because I'd never use it. The graphics card would block it. Someone either give me a good explanation for this, or Aopen gonna have to take back all mobos and we won't see them again until next summer. :?

MikeMcLarenF1

Post by MikeMcLarenF1 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:25 pm

Hmm, and then there's rich with his MSI 915GM Speedster-FA4, which I just checked up, much better much more promising than ANY of the Aopens, DFI's, but just as expensive. HOWEVER, just as expensive but much better. (weird way to phrase it there) but, the 4 slots that I need (LINED UP PROPERLY) and is a normal P-M socket with a 478 cooler bracket. Has everything that I want but of course, pricey. The only thing I want to know now, is reliability and c/p ratio. I guess only rich can tell us about that.