DO OEM AMD cpu's have same warranty as retail??

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ChiBOY83

DO OEM AMD cpu's have same warranty as retail??

Post by ChiBOY83 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:25 am

I was lookin on newegg, where i will be getting my amd 64 3000 from, and noticed that it does not show a warranty for the OEM version, where as the retial(which is only $4 more) has a 3 year... can someone clear this up for me. thanks in advance
Last edited by ChiBOY83 on Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:27 am

OEM: 1 year
Retail: 3 years

ChiBOY83

Post by ChiBOY83 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:28 am

......would it make sense to pay 4 more dollars for hte 2 extra years??

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:46 am

I found this on NewEgg's site:
OEM CPUs

* Refund period: 7 days from original invoice date.
* Replacement period: 30 days from original invoice date.

Retail CPUs

* Refund period: 7 days from the original invoice date.
* Replacement period: CPU manufacturers generally offer a 3-year warranty on retail processors. Please contact the manufacturer directly for specific warranty Terms and Conditions.
Elsewhere it says 1 year replacement, but did not specifically mention CPU. I strongly recommend checking with NewEgg if you're considering the OEM CPU.

It is my belief (interpretation : may be wrong) that OEM CPU is not warrantied by AMD, but by the seller.

I think the extra few dollars (about 2% - 3% premium in reality) is worth it for the extra warranty. The problem may not be as clear cut as "I plug it in and it did not work". and you may not find out about the problem until later. Don't forget you need to hang on to the heat sink / fan and original receipt.

Price difference between OEM and retail used to be huge. I don't know why that has changed. You'd imagine the lack of packaging, not including the HSF and the lack of a 3 yr warranty would reduce the cost a lot more than they're passing on to us.

For what it's worth, I've never had a CPU replaced under warranty.

Steve Rosenthal
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Steve Rosenthal » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:32 am

The retail box warranty is based on the assumption you'll use the included AMD (or Intel) heatsink. The heatsinks come with pre-applied thermal interface pads, so it's kind of like AMD's insurance policy against death-by-improper-installation. To quote the AMD retail box processor installation guide: "Use only the heatsink/fan provided. Use of any other heatsink/fan will void the warranty." (emphasis theirs)

Since you're posting on SPCR, I assume you're planning on using a third-party heatsink, so as far as AMD's concerned, your warranty is void anyway. Might as well just get the OEM version.

--Steve