Looking for final feedback on my mATX mobo choices.

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Poll ended at Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:19 am

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Caudipteryx zoui

Looking for final feedback on my mATX mobo choices.

Post by Caudipteryx zoui » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:19 am

After long participating in the matx discussion here, it has come to this: here are my options as I see them.

Please consider the following usage characteristics immutable: I will move to mATX with this build (I've invested too much too much time and money in an mATX case already). I must build within the next couple weeks. This is (if you haven't guessed) for a quiet PC build. I will be using the Ninja heatsink. I will not OC. I will not be gaming but will be doing gfx work. I will not need gigabit ethernet. Good USB 2 or Firewire transfer speeds are important to me because I frequently transfer larges chunks of data to my computer.

Most prices taken from newegg. Some of the evidence listed below is only anecdotal (denoted as "said to be").

1) JetWay A210GDMS-Pro -$95
Pros:
All-passive stock configuration (Southbridge and Video).
On-board, 8-channel HD Audio (Intel Azalia Compliant).
All-in-one solution is cheaper.
Doesn't have ATI's SB400 southbridge.
Cons:
Jetway, as an overall brand, is unestablished in retail and is said to be unreliable.
Possible FUD:
'The ULi 1573 SB is unstable crap that requires XP SP2 to install.'

2) Foxconn NF4K8MC-ERS -$87 + Fanless Radeon X300/Radeon X300SE/GeForce 6200TC ~$50 + Northbridge Heatsink ~$10 = ~$147
Pros:
Said to be a stable, solid board all around.
Cons:
Said to run hotter (will thereby ramp-up my PSU fan, creating more noise).
This solution costs ~$50 more.
New southbridge may not fit with Ninja heatsink.

3) The 'Retro' solution. mATX for use with my exisiting Barton 2500+ (400) and PC3200 RAM while waiting until the Fall for RS480/ULi1573 Gigabyte solutions or until the end of 2005 for the RS482/SB450 to be released. -$55 for an nForce2 solution with integrated gfx like the MSI K7N2GM-V.
Pros:
Allows me wet my appetite for mATX.
Cheaper, although when I upgrade this could be considered this a 50-dollar hit.
Cons:
Wouldn't be any faster than I have now.
nForce2 probably runs hotter than either of the two previous solutions do, no (therefore making a noiser system)?

4) The Intel-based solution. I've found their offerings to be outclassed so far in price/peformance (especially silent PC performance), so I haven't bothered posting any. Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough.

5) Other (list)

Thoughts?

Caudipteryx zoui

Post by Caudipteryx zoui » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:27 pm

Any thoughts to offer before I make my purchase soon?

mb2

Post by mb2 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:16 am

if u haven't purchased yet..

well, it depends on your specifics...

if your not yearning for speed, get the MSI (or biostar m7ncg-400, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138234 ) which is very similar but has voltage options (dont think the msi does does it?), but no sata. dont forget u can sell it so you wont loose the whole $60, and cpu prices could come down more whilst u wait. on the other hand; u never know how long you'd have to wait or, if your 'perfect' board would ever come. also i suppose your cpu is going to be hotter if u go this route..

also, what is your case.. i'm guessing its not a small m-ATX case if your planning on using the ninja. if you will be able to get a lot of good, quiet case airflow then you might be ok with the foxconn. if its something with 60mm fans or only one 80mm, then its really going to add a lot of heat that you will need to get rid of.

if you dont rely on usb hard drives atall then it might be worth considering the MSI (939).. yea usb performance does suck, but for many people, this is not something they use everyday, and otherwise its a good board.

if you are the type who doesn't mind taking a risk, the jetway could pay off nicely.