Best motherboard - No SLI

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

egale

Best motherboard - No SLI

Post by egale » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:20 am

If I were to get a 4400+ x2 and I had no intentions of running SLI now or in the future, what would be the best motherboard to get? Looking for power and quiet and stability.

I figure I don't need the extra complexities of SLI if I will never use it. Complexity = Headaches.

Bar81

Post by Bar81 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:53 am

What do you mean by "power"? Do you plan to oc? If so, how much? What are your other components?

pcweltz

Post by pcweltz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:31 am

I'd lean toward the Abit AN8 Ultra or the new Asus A8R-MVP. FYI the newer SLI boards no longer use funky slot card switching and are no more complex than your typical Nforce Ultra board......the A8N32 has passive cooling, 8-phase power, and all onboard devices are PCI Express rather than PCI.

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:40 pm

I'm curious if the drivers on the ATI chipset are actually. . .you know. . .good.

The most annoying thing about my nForce4 board is the crappy drivers.

I can't even install the IDE drivers if I want my PC to boot. nvidia really needs to work on that.

I should be able to install every bit of the installer pack with no problems.

Can't beat the price on the MVP board. Definately tempting.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:08 pm

My vote would go to the Abit AN8-Ultra.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:37 pm

epox anything and then do spcr techniques to get the northbridge silent (zalman heatsink and a 80mm pana flo on very low is my technique)

epox makes a sick board. rock stable and very fast in benchmarks. and half the price.

my fav board is asrock dualsata but it isnt as stable, even though it COULD be, just isnt universally as stable for all uses.

abit kinda sux. I was a HUGE abit fan, after this board the KV8 Pro, I dont think I would try another new one. drivers are terrible for abit.

like irrevocably flawed and patched 2 weeks later with more flaws! someone dropped the ball on their drivers. hardware is nice and stable though so go figure.

been a fan since the first pII boards came out till now.
silent otes seems kinda nice though, but still the bios patches are sketchy.