New 6150 board from MSI with component, DVI, and SVideo

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

autoboy

New 6150 board from MSI with component, DVI, and SVideo

Post by autoboy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:53 pm

Just saw this board on Newegg. I just bought the Asus 6150 board but this one looks better because it supports component and SVideo with dongles included

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130529

Someone get this board and tell us if it can undervolt also. That would be the perfect HTPC board.

gitto

Post by gitto » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:17 pm

I remember reading in the manual for this board that it does have undervolting options. I have been looking for a S939 board with onboard dvi, component, support for undervolting, and gigabit ethernet, and this is the only board with all those at once.

rei

Post by rei » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:55 pm

crappy 1x placement :/ lose a pci slot with quiet cooling addon fan which leaves only 1 useable pci

gitto

Post by gitto » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:06 pm

True, though if you wanted to use 2 PCI cards like a TV Tuner and Sound card at once, along with a video card, you could use an Aerocool Vm101 or 102 on the video card.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:17 am

So I just got my Asus A8N-VM CSM and it sucks. Sometimes it does not detect my keyboard and I have to unplug it and reconnect it in a different socket for it to load. Annoying. I checked other forums and they had similiar issues. I also had trouble with the Bios several times. It seems it would loose the bios after awhile and i would have to reload it. I was lucky to even be able to reload the bios because the screen would go all white and not post. I had to remove everything from the board but 1 stick of memory and the floppy drive to boot. It has blue-screened a few times so I set all the speed settings back to default. with the new 506 bios this means 2T command rate and 400Mhz Hypertransport. Seems to work like this though. This sucks. Get the MSI. I've had 3 MSI boards and never a problem. Whats going on? I thought Asus was supposed to be stable and reliable. How am I supposed to give this computer to my brother-in-law for his office? Oh, btw, P150 is the best case I have ever worked with and the X2 3800+ is awesome. It folds pretty fast.

FitzRoy

Post by FitzRoy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:14 pm

I'm so glad I wait for reviews before buying things :) Still, gotta love the people who don't, or we wouldn't know what's up.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:31 am

I waited for the reviews. They came out on anandtech as well as some other random sites and everything looked fine. I guess I'm never buying another Rev. 1 board again! Anyways, i'm off to Frys to pick up another board on short knowtice. I'll keep the asus a8n-vm csm for myself but i need an ultra stable board for the office. Guess he is not getting 4 monitors unless i get an SLI board or a pci video card. I'll see whats available.

hazindu

Post by hazindu » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:57 am

I havent had any problems with my Asus board so far. It supports tv out, but where the Hell am I supposed to find an tv out expansion bracket?

FitzRoy

Post by FitzRoy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:11 am

Hehe, yeah I hear ya. I guess we can't trust anyone but forum users to actually be thorough with their stuff. Who knew the asus would be a POS and the msi would work so well.

Ah well, I've decided to wait for the new socket anyway. Don't really feel like buying 4 sticks of ddr, a 939 mobo and cpu when all 3 will move a step forward in a matter of months with AM2 and I won't be able to carry any of them over.

gitto

Post by gitto » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:43 am

Well, it seems the manual for this board no longer mentions Vcore adjustments, and people on the Anandtech forums with experience with this board say it doesnt support vcore adjustment.

Hopefully MSI can release a BIOS adding undervolting support.