new mobo, files still there?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

new mobo, files still there?

Post by klankymen » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:13 am

My motherboard (A8N SLI Premium) gave up on outputting any video signal, so I had to RMA it.

Unfortunately my HDD was S-ATA, so I'm wondering if the data will still be accessible to me when i get back the new board.

It was in the direct (non-RAID, non-JBOD) port, and I'm getting another of the same motherboard again.

but is there something stored in the CMOS that would prevent me from accessing the drive on the new board, even if I set it up the same way as it was before?

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:15 am

Nope, shouldn't be a problem.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:31 am

thats a relief.

200GB are a big enough loss, without 30 more a couple weeks later

kesv

Re: new mobo, files still there?

Post by kesv » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:39 am

klankymen wrote: Unfortunately my HDD was S-ATA, so I'm wondering if the data will still be accessible to me when i get back the new board.
SATA is really just another way of physically transmitting the data. Logically there is no difference from older PATA drives. Your system is still reading and writing blocks of data.

Now using a hardware RAID setup would make a difference as the way data is written to the drives is decided by the hardware controller, but this is the same no matter what your physical interface is. PATA, SATA and SCSI are all affected.

It's important to note that usually you can use a RAID controller without activating any raid modes as just an additional disk controller. In this mode the drives can be moved without loss of data.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:46 am

so could i even take this drive and put it into the computer I'm using right now and access everything?

hmmm, dont wanna risk it, as long as my data is still there when my motherboard arrives.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:16 am

Yes, that will work as well without problems. Atleast if you just connect it as a slave and not a bootdisk.
If you boot on it in a new system then it might be unstable and mess up the drives in the installed system.

The HDD (as a slave) is like a CD, the music on the CD will not disapear if you put it into another cdplayer.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:22 am

McBanjo wrote:Yes, that will work as well without problems. Atleast if you just connect it as a slave and not a bootdisk.
If you boot on it in a new system then it might be unstable and mess up the drives in the installed system.

The HDD (as a slave) is like a CD, the music on the CD will not disapear if you put it into another cdplayer.
Yep, and if the chipset etc in the new computer are the same as in the old one, then you can use it as a master as well.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:02 am

ok, thanks, and one more question:

assuming I had been running RAID, would the array still work on the new motherboard?

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:37 am

assuming I had been running RAID, would the array still work on the new motherboard?
It would work if you had the same controller and chose the exact same configuration options.

That's why it is important to record your RAID settings when you set it up. I learned by experience how hard it can be to try to "guess" the settings a year later!