new tforce build probs..

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mb2

new tforce build probs..

Post by mb2 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:37 am

ok, i feel like a n00b.. anyway, connecting the ram, power supply and cpu to my new biostar tforce 754.. when i turn on the psu the cpu fan comes on instantly, as does the 'on' light on the motherboard.. and the first 2 of the red LEDs.
pressing the on/off button or reset does nothing.. and there is no VGA output (onboard gfx).. lights on the keyboard/mouse don't come on..
when i connect a hdd to the psu and ide channel, it does not spin up.. but if connected to the psu only then it does(?).. no beeps atall..
fried mobo? psu prob?.. idk..?
:?

edit: (just thought.. the tforce supports E6 semprons out-of-the-box right? (have 3000+ semp64))

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Storm » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:41 am

I had a similar problem with my tforce6100-939 box/mod im currently building, but this was because my seasonic tornado 300w wasnt compatible with the 24pin connector.

Some people have been able to use a 20pin power supply with the tforce, but I couldnt. Also with a 20-24pin convertor my seasonic still didnt work. I think because there was one wire missing from the seasonic's connector.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:19 am

hm.. i was using a 20 pin psu.. but, yea, it *should* work like that(??)..
does it need to be a certain ATX spec min if its 20 pin perhaps?

did u have the same results as i had, or different?

and, have u replaced the psu and found it now works??

QuietOC

Re: new tforce build probs..

Post by QuietOC » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:41 am

mb2 wrote:edit: (just thought.. the tforce supports E6 semprons out-of-the-box right? (have 3000+ semp64))
Don't count on any motherboard having the most current BIOS installed. In fact, I've never seen a board come shipped with the latest BIOS. The last time I checked BIOSTAR USA did't even have the most recent BIOS for the TForce 6100 on their site. I had to get it from the global site.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:23 am

yes, their websites are **ite. if ur complaining about the us one, try the uk one.. its just a 'under construction' page.
and the international one doesn't even have the tforce754 listed(!).

well, looking at the US bios listings for the board (and the international ones for the M7) there doesn't seem to be any update to support e(6) cpus, so i'm guessing that all bioses support it? .. since it is a fairly new board..

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Storm » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:14 pm

Yeah I had similar sounding problem with the seasonic psu.

Connecting a seasonic tornado using its 20pin, or a nexus 300w using the 20pin. It never worked with neither.

I already bought a 20-24pin adaptor incase I had such a problem.
Using the adaptor with the seasonic wouldnt work, using the adaptor with the nexus solved my problem.

I suggest you get a 20-24pin adaptor or buy a new power supply with 24pin as standard. The reviews say you can use a 20pin but I belive this is with a PCI-E gfx and not using the onboard gfx.

Im going to use the working current psu temporarily until I buy a S12 or Tagan.

jasoneuc

Post by jasoneuc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:48 pm

I had a very similar problem with a TForce-939 / Venice 3000+ built inside an Antec Aria. I e-mailed the BioStar customer support and they replied with the updated BIOS. BTW - the Live Update BIOS tool did not work from the internet, but using the same tool with the e-mailed BIOS worked just fine.

Try the latest BIOS before giving up hope.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:32 am

mb2 wrote:the international one doesn't even have the tforce754 listed(!).
It is listed, but they have hidden it somewhat (much). If you look at the main page of the international website there is a navigation sidebar on the left. If you click in that sidebar on "Motherboards", then you are heading in the wrong direction. You need to look at the top of the sidebar. There is a small square with animated text reading "T-series". Clicking on that leads you to a completely separate part of their website dedicated to the Tforce mobos: http://www.biostar.com.tw/t-series/index.php

B.T.W. I first found that part of the website through Google. I had to look several times to find the way to get there from the main page. This is definately not the right way to advertise your flagship product.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:52 pm

"This is definately not the right way to advertise your flagship product. "
definatelty not...

"I had a very similar problem with a TForce-939 / Venice 3000+ built inside an Antec Aria. I e-mailed the BioStar customer support and they replied with the updated BIOS."
hm, i dont have an other-than e6 cpu, or a 24-pin psu. so, don't see how i could update the bios :?

also, since i want to run in a micro-atx case, i don't want to get a 24 pin psu, as i dont know of any m-atx 24-pin psus.. if i *was* to get a new psu then i would get a brick ac-dc + dc-dc board... none of which are 24 pin (afaik).. *urgh*...

so, the concensus is to try with a 20>24 pin cable first???

edit: i have tried using a (very) old pci card and that didn't work with the psu? (is there a jumper to set to use PCI card insted of pci-E/ onboard?)

glad i asked here rather than another forum which no doubt would just tell me to get a new psu or rma the board, anyway.. :P

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:44 pm

mb2 wrote:"This is definately not the right way to advertise your flagship product. "
Come on, since when is a $70 motherboard a "flagship product?"

It's a quality part, and I am glad the money was put in the part not their website.
also, since i want to run in a micro-atx case, i don't want to get a 24 pin psu, as i dont know of any m-atx 24-pin psus.. if i *was* to get a new psu then i would get a brick ac-dc + dc-dc board... none of which are 24 pin (afaik).. *urgh*...
I wouldn't worry about the 24pin. Normally all the pins of the same voltage run together at the motherboard connector, so really you don't really need to have wires going to all 20pins even. The extra pins are there to spead the current load. Of course the power supplies then all put smaller guage wires to each connector negating the extra wires. :P

What you need to look for is a high 12V rail rating.

As far as micro ATX cases with 24pin power supplies: my Antec Minuet II has one (probably SFX form factor) and my In Win Z720T has one (ATX form factor).

A quick Newegg search came up with 4 "MicroATX" power supplies with 24pin main conectors including this Fortron.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:47 pm

QuietOC wrote:including this Fortron.
Which alas is not quiet (in stock form):
FSP300-60GLS mATX PSU: a pictorial & a fan swap

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:29 pm

Hard to tell what's wrong, but I'm not sure it's because of the PSU. I tested my old Opteron 146 + DFI nF3 with an old 250 W Fortron I've found somewhere with 12 A on the 12 V line. I could go up to 2800 MHz stable. Not bad at all, especially since the 12 V line dropped pretty much when I overclocked it and started Prime95. A Sempron is really low power compared to that.

mb2: Have you found out what that LED code means?

Try moving the RAM to another slot, try a graphics card, start the mobo outside the case, sometimes these things happen when the mobo is not properly mounted in the case. Just to see if you can get into BIOS.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:30 am

just tested it with someone elses' psu.. boots fine to bios (no hdd).. so yea, its a psu problem..

Stacey Melissa

Post by Stacey Melissa » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:49 am

I used a 300-watt Super Tornado in a Tforce 6100-939/X2 4200+ build last December, and it worked just fine. No adapter was used. I was using the tornado to test for possible problems with the S12-430 that I was planning to send the system out with. Turned out it was fine, too, and the problem was elsewhere. I did update the BIOS first thing, while using the S12, though. Maybe that made the difference.

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Storm » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:02 pm

Thats weird Stacey Melissa I couldnt get my tornado to work either in 20pin or with 24pin adaptor. Although I am running onboard graphics till I get my PCIe graphics and I havent tried my tornado after updating the bios.

Where you using onboard or PCIe graphics with your tornado?

Stacey Melissa

Post by Stacey Melissa » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:15 pm

I tried both integrated and a 6200TC. Both worked fine.

I think I recall having issues at first with the four LEDs on the board not lighting up properly, and getting no video. IIRC, I did some clearing CMOS and switched around the DIMMs to get video. Those issues all happened when the S12 was plugged in. Too much overclocking sometimes also resulted in no video. I already had most of the kinks worked out by the time I plugged in the Super Tornado.

Does the 754 version have four DIMM slots? If so, you could try switching the DIMMs between slots 1+2 and 1+3.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:23 pm

unfortunately, the 754 version only has 2 DIMM slots.. :(

Stacey Melissa

Post by Stacey Melissa » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:12 am

I guess that makes sense, since 754 is single-channel.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:44 am

could someone please try connecting the ATX power supply connector without connecting the p4 connector and try to power-on.. and tell me what happens?

mb2

Post by mb2 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:03 am

ok.. i can sometimes get it to work, using an old PSU and bashing /holding down the power/reset buttons many times.. odd!
the psu is 200w, with only 6A on the 12v.. but, thats still 72W, which is more than the whole system would take i guess.. certainly in the 'board + cpu + ram' situation (to test it works). also its using a molex -> P4 adaptor..
it seems to work fine once i get past the turning it on part..

what could be causing it to be weird?

initially i get only the 'DIMM' led lit, then if i manage to get the power on the first 3 go on.. (i think idicating vga error or something) and then eventually all 4 come on.. hm!.

'wtf'!?

ps: only using the old psu while i'm waiting for the FSP300-60GLS to get in stock (SS 300w isn't available :( )