Love at first sight. New awesome Am2 motherboards!

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Poodle

Love at first sight. New awesome Am2 motherboards!

Post by Poodle » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:39 am

I just sold my system after seeing the ASUS M2N32-WS Professional with a high perfomance chipset which due to the small passive heatsinks seems to run cool and efficient and has advanced features like High def. audio. It also got ten Sata300 incl. one eSata. 2PciX! and 8PHASE POWER!

More motherboards in the second link, including DFI (which doesn't look that nice I you ask me)

Check out and enjoy:

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/9490

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/vi ... id=18&pg=3

I'm looking forward to run 4gig ram on two sticks @ DDR1000 8)

Envy007

Post by Envy007 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:06 am

Very nice, where's the TPM?
Not to rain on your parade, but this is something to consider with AM2, the Trusted Platform Module is on there, Vista will use it, and you will be restricted on all sides with your vids, music, etc.
Maybe i'm being to pessimistic here, but it's something to take into account.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 am

Envy007 wrote:Very nice, where's the TPM?
Not to rain on your parade, but this is something to consider with AM2, the Trusted Platform Module is on there, Vista will use it, and you will be restricted on all sides with your vids, music, etc.
Maybe i'm being to pessimistic here, but it's something to take into account.

Good point I knew that but almost forgot about it. I hope the crackers will figure something out. Will the socket for the conroe also have TPM?

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:51 am

Or you could just not "upgrade" to Vista.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:55 am

and 8PHASE POWER!
Can someone remind me what this is and why it's good? I think it has something to do with the power to the VRM's?

Envy007

Post by Envy007 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:02 am

Poodle wrote: Good point I knew that but almost forgot about it. I hope the crackers will figure something out. Will the socket for the conroe also have TPM?
Intel and AMD are both a member of the group supporting TPM so Intel will also implement TPM as soon as possible.
I read the specs of the Uli M16xx chipset the other day and it is prepared for TPM. We can expect every new mobo revision coming out in the near future to have TPM onboard...

I say s939.. Yeah!! :wink: :lol:

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:04 am

jaganath wrote:
and 8PHASE POWER!
Can someone remind me what this is and why it's good? I think it has something to do with the power to the VRM's?
Just think of it as the voltage regualtion is split up 8 ways, which means the power load on each VRM device is less, but without knowing the quality of the VRM's themselves it's just marchitecture.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:52 pm

Well assuming TPM isn't going to be a huge turnoff, at least among all those new motherboards there's not one NB fan to be seen anywhere....

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:32 pm

BrianE wrote:Well assuming TPM isn't going to be a huge turnoff, at least among all those new motherboards there's not one NB fan to be seen anywhere....

Not the Dfis. But that 7000rpm fan is something of a trademark to them I guess ;)

Tpm: It was explained to me that in Tpm the Next-Generation Secure Computing Base (NGSCB) is running to give "security services" to those apps that demand it. And when for instance a Digital Right Managent app. demands it the NGSCB will give it.

This will be able to turn off as the demand itself has to be written in the software and will thus be able to be turned off. (if not already been abled to be turned off in bios or the OS)

The dangerous bit is that i might soften up peoples mindset to this kind "security" and we will see something far worse in the Future.

Something like Hitler did. He knew that he couldn't get rid of the jews weeks after the election so he started with small rasist jokes to change peoples values a bit and then cartoons in newspapers and after a while Kristallnacht happen then finally: Treblinka.

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:38 pm

I find it odd that the plain M2N has VRM heatsinks while the M2N-SLI Deluxe doesn't. The top-end M2N32-SLI Deluxe has them. Hmmm. :?

I like the fact that the northbridge fan is dying on this generation of boards, but I'm a little worried about the position of the CPU on some. The M2N, M2N32-SLI Deluxe, and M2R32-MVP Deluxe have their CPU brackets off the standard position, which could mean a less-effective setup where the fan on the HSF points directly out the back. Seems ASUS is following DFI's lead on this one... or it could be that with so many components they had to rearrange stuff.

BTW The M2N32-WS Pro must be the most complicated, jam-packed mobo I've ever seen...

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:37 am

Fan on the pro board. Looks like they are still doing 2 chips for 2*16 like the A8n32-sli. Or am I wrong? Don't tell me it's going to be power hungry. that would be such a waste. The 8pin cpu power socket scares me now... Or may be the fan is just there because of the close Vga socket.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4864

Maybe Ati wins the perfomance/W on chipsets.

Mats

Post by Mats » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:43 am

So the TPM in a new system can't do anything if I'm running XP for instance?

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:24 am

Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is high definition audio? :roll: Sound like an attempt to ride off the hi-def video craze...

Concerning motherboards I don't see anything I like. What I would have liked is motherboard with one PCI-E16 slot, at least two if not three PCI slots and one PCI-X slot, lots of SATA connectors (>4) and all the usual gimmipicks like USB, FireWire, and 2 IDE channels for optical drives/legacy IDE hard drives.

anaqer

Post by anaqer » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:21 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is high definition audio?
This?

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:18 pm

anaqer wrote:
JazzJackRabbit wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is high definition audio?
This?
In other words just a regular 7.1 support with up to 192KHz sampling? We had that years ago...

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:59 pm

Mats wrote:So the TPM in a new system can't do anything if I'm running XP for instance?

Exactly. And in Vista the programs that your're running has to be written to take advantage of the TPM aswell. In other words the software your're running today will not do something dodgy on you. So there's no reason to stay on the XP or 939 as I can see it. The word is also that the TPm can be disabled at a master level in Vista, bios or something but in the worst case it has to be fixed through crack patches or something of the kind.
In the best case senario the hardware might actually be used for something good and to stop intrusions on your computer from companies etc. This is all speculation and a bit of optimism though...

As you can hear at the moment I'm not really that worried 8) Due to the fact that those that say that it's the "end of days" that I know really doesn't have that much knowlodge of computers in general and those that say it's not that bad are all really heavy weight neerds that has been around computers for quite some time. :lol:

But sure, as I'm classic liberal I don't really like the whole idea very much. :x

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:07 am

I read that the Ati 3200 chipset has a tdp of only 8w. Some who has the tdp of the NF5?

I also wonder in what direction the tower coolers will be fitted as there is a 90 degree dif. between the Deluxe and Pro board. Someone who has seen the mounting mechanism?

Le_Gritche

Post by Le_Gritche » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:35 am

Mats wrote:So the TPM in a new system can't do anything if I'm running XP for instance?
XP could support TPM with an update maybe, but it probably won't. Because anyway you need TPM at the hardware level. Current computers (except one Sony) don't have it, and it's part of the hardware makers' grand scheme of "upgrade or die", so I don't see that coming.
Poodle wrote:but in the worst case it has to be fixed through crack patches or something of the kind.
Maybe it doesn't worry you to rely on crack patches to get control over your own computer, but I am worried. First it's illegal, and it will be hard (not to mention what happen with their EFI instead of a BIOS).
Look at the Xbox360, everybody was saying the thing would be cracked in weeks or even days, and apart from an unpublished alleged DVD-drive hack, there's still nothing.
Poodle wrote:In the best case senario the hardware might actually be used for something good and to stop intrusions on your computer from companies etc. This is all speculation and a bit of optimism though...
Not a bit but lots of optimism, as the whole purpose of TPM is to give control of your computer to DRM companies. That way they can be sure nothing is trying to hack their precious content. It would be fine in a world where DRMs were respectful of consumers, but when you do Digital Restriction Management you can't be respectful.
Maybe I'm just pessimistic, and the hardware DRMs will allow software DRM to be less intrusive, but I'm not going to trust Sony's rootkit or Starforce on that one.
So they can talk of Trusted Platform Module or Trusted Computing all they want, it's still their take on the matter, because I wouldn't be trusting my platform anymore with them in charge.

Envy007

Post by Envy007 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:28 am

Le_Gritche wrote:Not a bit but lots of optimism, as the whole purpose of TPM is to give control of your computer to DRM companies. That way they can be sure nothing is trying to hack their precious content. It would be fine in a world where DRMs were respectful of consumers, but when you do Digital Restriction Management you can't be respectful.
Maybe I'm just pessimistic, and the hardware DRMs will allow software DRM to be less intrusive, but I'm not going to trust Sony's rootkit or Starforce on that one.
So they can talk of Trusted Platform Module or Trusted Computing all they want, it's still their take on the matter, because I wouldn't be trusting my platform anymore with them in charge.
Nice to hear someone else shares my opinion on TPM, it's an product of the DRM companies to get more control over the things you can and can't do. There are a lot of rumours, just to name some:
- Cisco will implement TPM in there routers, no TPM in your pc, no Internet!
- Microsoft will do a 100% TPM implementation in Vista, i recon you can't turn it off, because it won't do any good if you can turn it off.

The current TPM chips you can turn off in the BIOS, but what about the next generation? I'm curious...maybe even afraid...
-

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:56 am

Microsoft will do a 100% TPM implementation in Vista, i recon you can't turn it off, because it won't do any good if you can turn it off.
Exactly, TPM is meant to fulfil the same function for DRM companies as activation for Windows XP, and you sure as hell can't turn that off (although I'm sure someone somewhere has a dodgy crack that will do it).

inti

Post by inti » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:12 am

One of the main uses of TPM is to allow a Windows Vista machine to play HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray. It is expected that no TPM will mean no high definition DVD. In other words, high definition DVDs will not be playable (legally) on a Windows XP or Linux machine.

Therefore TPM is really a feature for consumers, not a drawback. It will allow access to content that is not otherwise available on a PC. Put it this way, TPM would be an expensive and useless technology if the same content could be played on a non-TPM PC.

Of course this could turn out to be a Pyrrhic victory for the consortium of studios and hardware manufacturers that backs TPM, because nothing could create a stronger incentive to hackers. Remember it was the lack of playability on a Linux machine that first caused the copy protection of DVDs to be cracked.

qviri

Post by qviri » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:40 am

inti wrote:Therefore TPM is really a feature for consumers, not a drawback. It will allow access to content that is not otherwise available on a PC. Put it this way, TPM would be an expensive and useless technology if the same content could be played on a non-TPM PC.
Mmm, really, such an awesome feature for the customers! Here, let us restrict what you can do with the media you bought for you. And have a rootkit while you're at it.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:54 am

inti wrote:One of the main uses of TPM is to allow a Windows Vista machine to play HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray. It is expected that no TPM will mean no high definition DVD. In other words, high definition DVDs will not be playable (legally) on a Windows XP or Linux machine.
I thought that HDCP takes care of playing commercial HD DVD format disks on the PC! i.e. you need a HDCP compliant VGA card and monitor. I don’t think TPM comes into it.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:55 am

OMFG that workstation board is soooo sexy

Pointless to get K8N-LR now
:lol:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed May 03, 2006 5:13 pm

Hello,

New Gigabyte AM2 nForce 500 SLi x16 motherboard:Image
Notice the 6 pin power plug on the front top edge? And that sure looks like 3 PCIe slots? :shock:

Make that an 8-pin power plug...hmmm
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Fri May 05, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Fri May 05, 2006 6:11 am

Hmm, strange - are there any PSU's that have a 6 pin power connector? I assume the Gigabyte board will probably work with a standard 4 pin connector...

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri May 05, 2006 7:04 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Notice the 6 pin power plug on the front top edge?
It looks like 8 pins to me?

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Fri May 05, 2006 7:38 am

IsaacKuo wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:Notice the 6 pin power plug on the front top edge?
It looks like 8 pins to me?
Aye, so it is!!! Are there power supplies with 8 pin connectors then? Or could that be for two 4 pin connectors (server board's)?

HueyCobra

Post by HueyCobra » Fri May 05, 2006 10:44 pm

jaganath wrote:
and 8PHASE POWER!
Check out EIGHT PHASE POWER EFFICIENCY from SPCR's Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe A64-939 Motherboard review.

Imvd85

Post by Imvd85 » Sat May 06, 2006 2:57 am

I wonder if you can run these boards with a passively cooled graphic card and CPU.
Are new chipsets so cool that can run passive or do motherboard manufactures rely on other component's fans and quick-spinning case fans for cooling the on-board chips?(I write quick-spinning case fans because if your other components also run passive, then your case fans should really move a lot of air in order to reach all these spots)

From my experience with an Asus A8n-e motherboard, it took a couple of minutes for the Nforce4 Ultra chipset to overheat and close the system - it had a Zalman NB-47J northbridge heatsink on it.