Tyan Tomcat K8E S2865

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silencetowrite

Tyan Tomcat K8E S2865

Post by silencetowrite » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:46 pm

Does anybody know anything about this board? I'm considering it because I've read so many positive things about it's stability and Linux compatibility. The problem is I won't be able to use the X-120, Scythe Ninja, or simular larger heat sinks. I should be able to use he XP90. Will that be enough to cool a Venice core 3200? The issue is that I'm sure that a card with a large passive heat sink will fit. However, the GIGABYTE GV-RX13P256DE-RH looks like it might. Any thoughts?

Manufature's Link:
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tomcatk8e_anrf.html

Review Here:
(with many pictures)
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... =169&num=1

hravn

Post by hravn » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:43 pm

There must be a better board for a regular rig. We use this board in three servers, but it's pretty expensive, and does not have many options for overclocking and so on. But it's stable, I'll give it that, but so are many other boards as well when you're not stressing them.

silencetowrite

Post by silencetowrite » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:12 pm

You're right...it is an odd choice.

But I won't be overclocking. My concerns are silence, stability, and Linux compatibility. I'm also considering the Asus A8N-SLI Premium, but I've read quite a bit in forums that suggests it's been quirky with Linux. (Also I don't need SLI) But I'm sure any real problems will be solved by future Kernel revisions. (You don't happen to have any Linux experience with your rig do you?)

The Tyan board is about $30 more expensive than the Asus. And the Seasonic SS-401HT is one of the PSUs they recommend for this board. (So no pricey EPS12V model will be necessary)

So I guess the two big questions are:will the hardware I talked about above fit the Tyan, and if so, how much do I gain by choosing a company that actually supports the use of Linux with its hardware?

This wouldn't be a problem if mainstream companies would offer better support for Linux.

silencetowrite

Post by silencetowrite » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:40 pm

Here's a link to someone who went with the Asus board over the Tyan:
(edit: updated link)

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee ... 3009077731

Not sure s/he had Linux as a primary concern though. Just thought I'd share in case someone else is looking for the best combo of silence and Linux goodess. Feel free to comment.
Last edited by silencetowrite on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

hravn

Post by hravn » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:13 am

Sorry, I'm a total Linux newbie.. installed a few distros way back but thats about it ;)

The Tyan boards are currently running Windows Server 2003 with Opteron 165 processors and between 2-4GB RAM. Rock solid so far, with one at least undervolted (for cooler operation) if thats something you want.