made a tiny scratch to my M board, does it matter??

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

reyn116

made a tiny scratch to my M board, does it matter??

Post by reyn116 » Tue May 02, 2006 4:56 am

ok 2day I was working with my motherboard, and I made a very tiny scratch to the back of it, its very tiny, u can hardly see it unless I point it out to it. I wasnt a deep one either, like u cant feel it when u move ur finger across the board.

Do you guys think this would have killed the board? I cant test it yet cuz i have no spare powersupply and stuff and I been working on my laptop for a while waiting for my new PSU to arrive.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue May 02, 2006 8:32 am

Hello,

If it didn't damage any circuit traces, then you should be okay. If it damaged a trace, then proceed with caution, as the impedances can be critical.

justblair

Post by justblair » Tue May 02, 2006 12:31 pm

If you have damaged a trace, a conductive ink pen is your get out of jail free card.

They dont cost a lot,what you do is..

with a sharp blade scrape the varnished layed off the ends of the trace that is damaged. Then mask off a line between them.

Apply the ink, a little bit later remove the masking tape.

Check carefully that you have bridged the gap.

Leave for an hour or so.

Most important tip.... Cross your fingers.

Turn on.

reyn116

Post by reyn116 » Tue May 02, 2006 5:44 pm

justblair wrote:
Apply the ink, a little bit later remove the masking tape.

Turn on.
what ink?

you do it like a pencil mod?

justblair

Post by justblair » Tue May 02, 2006 10:16 pm

The Conductive ink from the pen. It has some sort of silver compound in it.

Yes, its like the pencil mod on old athlon processors (I bought it to allow me to unlock my pally processor). A Pencil wont be any good though, you need to use conductive ink

Have you worked out yet if you have damaged the trace?

|Romeo|

Post by |Romeo| » Wed May 03, 2006 4:39 am

I would not try and bridge any high frquency trace unless the board doesn't work, and you've nothing to lose -you are very unlikely to be able to make an acceptable connection for the high fequency stuff.

My advice would be to test it first, as the repair is as likely to do harm as good and it's quite unlikely that you have actually damaged the board

reyn116

Post by reyn116 » Wed May 03, 2006 5:07 am

|Romeo| wrote:My advice would be to test it first, as the repair is as likely to do harm as good and it's quite unlikely that you have actually damaged the board
yeh, i cant find the scratch anymore, since it was so tiny lol

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Wed May 03, 2006 5:33 am

I've jammed my socket A motherboard a number of times with a screwdriver now and it still works. I like my Thermalright AX-7 heatsink. But damn, that clip is hard to get off. I would be trying to lift the clip and the screwdriver would slip... BAM! I think I left some marks on the board but have never had any problems with it. I would say try it first before attempting the fix. Some of those traces are really small.

justblair

Post by justblair » Wed May 03, 2006 1:27 pm

LOL....

I have managed to repair boards this way in the past, its a pain to do. Last time I think I layed the ink about 20 times, before getting a neat enough result. The thing that works in your favour on this type of job is the varnish layer. As long as you scrape off just the amount you need, you dont have to be too acurate with the ink.

Bridgeing the contacts on the 2100xp processor was actually tougher than repairing a board.

Glad your damage wasn't too bad.
:D