Will DFI Ultra-D work with less than 480w power supply?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Towermax

Will DFI Ultra-D work with less than 480w power supply?

Post by Towermax » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:35 am

My Asus A8N5X has to be RMA'd because of a bad IDE port. I'm thinking of getting a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D to replace it. The DFI board appears to have excellent build quality--high quality caps, etc. I'm not a big-time overclocker, but I do like all the tweaking options offered on the DFI board.

However, the people at DFI Street insist that you must have a 480 watt power supply for this board, and I only have an Antec Truepower II 430.

The system has a 3800X2 overclocked to 2400 (240 HTT X 10), 2 1GB sticks of Corsair RAM, DVD-ROM, Radeon X1800GTO, one 74GB Raptor and one 160gb Seagate 7200.9--both hard drives are SATA. This seems well within the limits of a 430 watt supply, and certainly runs fine at stock voltages with the current 430 watt power supply.

So, does the DFI board really require a minimum of a 480 watt power supply? If so, what is different about this board that requires more power?

nici

Post by nici » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:55 am

No, it does not require 480W. The system in my sig works perfectly fine with the NeoHE 430, maximum AC draw is something around 250W, idle is about 120W, running on 230VAC.

I have no idea why the DFI-street guys keep insisting on 480W minmum, even DFI does not require that. If i remember correctly DFI recommended a 350W PSU for a system with a 3400+ and a 6600GT, something around 500W was recommended for 6800Ultra SLI and 3800+ or something like that. Even those recommendations are based on the assumption that a lot of users will use crappy "500W" PSUs.

silon

Post by silon » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:03 am

ditto on that nici!

Towermax, i have an X2 4200+ @2.2GHz, 2x 1GB G.Skill PC4000, a 7600GT, 2 standard 7200rpm HDDs, a single DVDRW and a sound card.
all this is hooked to an 400W enermax liberty PSU. never had any issues before :lol:

edit: forgot to mention that im using an ultra-d too :oops:

Towermax

Post by Towermax » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:14 pm

Ok, thanks for the responses. I suspect that the reason for the 480 watt recommendation is people with junk power supplies and two SLI'd vid cards trying to achieve massive overclocks .

Couple of questions about this board:

- Is a Zalman NB47J suitable for chipset cooling? (Works fine on my current board.)

- Can I put the X1800GTO in either vid slot or is one preferable to the other?

fmriguy

Post by fmriguy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:47 pm

If you search for NB47J and ultra-d on this forum or google, you'll see full pics of people who have modded this heatsink for use on the ultra-d. It involves some creative cutting and bending of fins. However, you only need to mod it if you really want to use the top pci-e slot or are going SLI.

If you're not intending on using SLI, you can just use the lower pci-e slot, (granted, it only runs at 8x but there really won't be any noticeable performance drop). That way you won't have to mess with modding the NB47.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:00 pm

The Thermalright HR05 SLi works very nicely with this board :) The only problem is that something like a Ninja wont fit if you have the heatsink pointing upwards, but you can solve that with using a smaller heatsink like the 9500, point it downwards, or get the non SLi version and use the lower PCIe slot :) I recommend the HR05 over the zalmans, the zalmans run pretty damn hot with no airflow. Mine reached 70°c with the NB47j(wich was bolted down), the HR05 dropped that to about 50°c, did not require any mods and was much easier to install anyway :)

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:49 pm

DFI Street = paranoid. I'm running an Ultra-D perfectly stable with a 400W Fortron PSU and a heavily overclocked Opteron.

As for the NB47J, you can use it, but you'll have to mangle those fins. I had to twist a whole row off and bend a few more to use the upper PCI-E 16x slot. You can use the lower one, which I believe operates at 4x when not in SLI but it will still give you plenty of bandwidth. I would put my X850XT in the bottom slot if I didn't have 2 PCI cards in use under it. It's also advisable to have good airflow over the NF4 chipset as it gets quite hot.

Towermax

Post by Towermax » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:50 pm

fmriguy wrote:If you search for NB47J and ultra-d on this forum or google, you'll see full pics of people who have modded this heatsink for use on the ultra-d. It involves some creative cutting and bending of fins. However, you only need to mod it if you really want to use the top pci-e slot or are going SLI.

If you're not intending on using SLI, you can just use the lower pci-e slot, (granted, it only runs at 8x but there really won't be any noticeable performance drop). That way you won't have to mess with modding the NB47.
I searched as you suggested and found many pics of the NB47J modded to fit--thanks for the heads-up. I'm not going SLI, so I'll have to decide whether the modding is worth it or not, though I would like to put the X1800GTO in the upper PCI-E slot.

Towermax

Post by Towermax » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:08 pm

The system is in an Antec Solo, with 120mm Nexus exhaust and two 92mm Nexus intake fans--all at 5 volts. The airflow appears to be good--the 3800X2 is overclocked 20% at stock voltage and is cooled with a fanless Ninja. (Though I may have to turn the fan on in the summer--just got the Ninja a few weeks ago).

Right now it's 18.3 Celsius (65F) in my basement office. Speedfan reports motherboard temperature as 30C. An hour of dual Prime95 and rthdribl produces a 1 degree C motherboard temperature rise. I don't know the actual chipset temperature, of course. Would have to invest in a probe and monitoring equipment to do that.

I've had no problems over the last year with this system that I can attribute to chipset temperature--actually no problems at all, other than the bad IDE port. So I think I'll be fine with the NB47J, unless airflow is significantly different with the Ultra-D.