Motherboard Choice for E4300 (Intel vs Asus)

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xenithon

Motherboard Choice for E4300 (Intel vs Asus)

Post by xenithon » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:40 am

Hi all. After some deliberation, the CPU choice for a new, cool, quiet PC was made and it will be the Intel E4300. Now it is time to choose a motherboard. At the moment there are only two in contention, and I'm looking for any suggestion, advice or opinions (please try limit it to these two, due to pricing and availability locally).

1: Asus P5B
2: Intel DP965LT

What must be pointed out is that extreme performance is not required, hence the choice of the E4300 (for efficiency and cooler running temps), and no overclocking done. From what I have read and researched, the Asus is better for features (such as an eSATA port, Q-Fan, Q-Connector etc.) and if you want to overclock. The Intel is better though for rock-solid stability.

Seeing that no overclocking will be done, would the Intel be a better choice, if overall dependability is important?

Cheers,
X

PS. Two things which are required are an eSATA port and a serial port. The Asus has eSATA but no serial port (so would get a PCI serial-port card); while the Intel has a serial port but no eSATA (getting a Vantec eSATA enclosure anyway which comes with a PCI eSATA card already). Thus the two balance each other out ;)
Last edited by xenithon on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plissken
Friend of SPCR

Post by Plissken » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:18 pm

The Asus has eSATA but no serial port (so would get a PCI serial-port card)
The P5B does have an onboard serial port, but they don't include the rear connector/cable assembly.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:19 am

Hi again. After checking various information and pricing, I think the Intel has fallen out of contention. The two front runners are now the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 and the Asus P5B Deluxe, which would be about the same price.

The Gigabyte has serial but no eSATA (not too critical - I'm getting a Vantec enclosure which comes with a PCI eSATA card ). Between the Giga and the Asus which would you guys choose? No overclocking (the option is there with both though if ever required). Reliability and stability is key. Both come with a 3-year warranty.

X

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:21 am

I'm in the same shopping mode...both P965 based cards have gotten good reviews...I'm leaning toward P5B-E (or P5B-E Plus). What's on the Deluxe that you need?

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:29 am

Well it's got the serial port, the eSATA port, uses the ICH8R IIRC....and the most important reason why the P5B-E is not considered....it is not available here :p

X

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:29 am

heh

jellybeard999

Post by jellybeard999 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:20 pm

I have a DS3 and its GOOOOD ... i didnt like my previous P5B... bios niggles galore (albeit a long while ago now)

Consider an nVidia 680 chipset board ?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:56 pm

Now that the e4300 and e4400 are coming out Ive been looking for cheaper mobo's that would go good with them as I would only need to overclock them to 333fsb to get the 3Ghz im shooting for. Anyone know of a good budget mobo for the e4300 that can OC to 333fsb but is really cheap?

dmang

Post by dmang » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:28 pm

hey i registered just to post here after finding this thread. :P

i too am looking to build a new system around the e4300, and i pretty much came to the same conclusion as xenithon. im stuck on either a asus P5B-E or gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. no reason to get the extra bells and whistles. i dont need crossfire, wifi onboard, or dual gigE NICs.

no real difference between the P5B-E and P5B-E Plus either, other than they swapped out the parallel port for a serial port. dont need either these days, both boards have like 10 USB2 ports on them. :P

i got time to wait tho and im thinking of waiting until Q2 to get a e4400 for $133. kinda bummed that none of the e4000 chips do VT, was kinda hoping to play with that...

anandtech review of the e4300

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:08 am

dmang wrote:hey i registered just to post here after finding this thread. :P

no real difference between the P5B-E and P5B-E Plus either, other than they swapped out the parallel port for a serial port. dont need either these days, both boards have like 10 USB2 ports on them. :P

anandtech review of the e4300
Welcome to SPCR!

Only reason I'd need a serial port is for my really old, but still very functional Palm V. :D

dmang

Post by dmang » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:17 am

thanks for the welcome

you know, if your spending the money for a new system, you could spend another $15-25 and get a USB Cradle for your palm. :P

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:32 pm

I ordered a DS3. Let me tell you, I've seen *ENOUGH* troubles with capacitors to never want a board with electrolytic capacitors again. A few extra bucks on the board price is well worth it to me.

A few years ago at work we had a bunch of PC's all mysteriously dying some less than a year old. Well not DYING, just acting flakier and flakier. Finally we heard about the "bad cap" problem opened up our systems and every one of them had some leaky caps or at least bulging tops. I sincerely hope more manufacturers start offer "premium" boards like Gigabyte does, with all solid-state caps.

wpb

Post by wpb » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:27 pm

I suggest you consider at least a conservative overclock on your new e4300. This new CPU is begging to be overclocked.

I'm a newcomer to the overclock world, and I wish I would have started years ago. The C2D's now make it ridiculously easy to OC on even the stock HSF.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi all. It is still a toss-up between the P5B Deluxe and the 965P-DS3. Although it is a bit more expensive there are a few reasons I am considering the Asus:
- eSATA ports on the back panel
- Q-Connector and Q-Fan features
- 3 system fan headers + 1 CPU fan header

That last point is particularly important! The DS3 only has the CPU fan header and a SINGLE system fan header. That isn't good since I will need to control fans with something like speedfan or the BIOS, and I do not want to add fan controllers.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:51 am

Hi there. Having thought more about it, the DS3 looks like the better option. I am not overclocking, and ultimately need something stable and reliable. I was unsure about the DS3 because #1 it only has 2 fan headers which is a real dissapointment (but to be honest, I will only have 2 fans in my system) and #2 it does not have eSATA integrated (which isn't a problem because the Vantec eSATA enclosure comes with a PCI-->eSATA card anyway).

Q-Fan I can live without (that is what Speedfan is for :D ) and Q-Connector....guess that's what the manual is for :p
X