Need help chosing AM2 mother board / Heatsink combination

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HolyBastard

Need help chosing AM2 mother board / Heatsink combination

Post by HolyBastard » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:33 am

I am currently in the process of bulding a Linux server based on the AM2 Platform.
Almost everything is settled down except for motherboard and the heatsink that will go on top of it.

Here are the main components I have chosen: Here is what I am looking for in the motherboard
  • 4 Sata Port
  • At least 1 IDE Port (for DVD Drive
  • Integrated Nvidia Graphic Processor (for Linux)
  • No Fan
  • Bios Undervolting a plus but not required
  • Fits a relatively big Heat Sink (without modification)
Here is what I was looking at right now

GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket
  • Integrated Graphic GeForce 6100
  • Full ATX
  • 4 RAM Slot
ASUS M2NPV-VM
  • Integrated Graphic GeForce 6150
  • Micro ATX
  • 4 RAM Slot
ABIT NF-M2 nView
  • Integrated Graphic GeForce 6150
  • Micro ATX
  • 4 RAM Slot
  • Fitting a Scythe Ninja requires a little bending of the capacitors
ASRock LiveNF6G-DVI
  • Integrated Graphic GeForce 6100 or 6150
  • 4 Ram Slot
  • Micro ATX
  • Seems it supports undervolting
The Heatsinks I was looking at are:
  • Scythe Ninja
  • Scythe Mine
  • Thermalright Ultra-120
  • Big Typhon (Seems monstruously heavy at 820g)
  • Non-Tower Heatsink?
My Objective is not to run the CPU Fanless. If running with a fan will not really change the noise level i do not mind. I am trying to minimize cost though so the Ultra-120 is a bit more expensive if I have to add a fan.

Also, I do not want to need to bend fins of the heatsink or cut something out and I would prefer if I did not have to bend some of the capacitors on the board. I also need at least 2 RAM slot cleared so I can remove the ram stick easily if need be.

EDIT: Added the ASRock Live to the list

Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by HolyBastard on Tue May 01, 2007 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:02 am

Here is what I am looking for in the motherboard
- 4 Sata Port
- At least 1 IDE Port (for DVD Drive
- Integrated Nvidia Graphic Processor (for Linux)
- No Fan
- Bios Undervolting a plus but not required
- Fits a relatively big Heat Sink (without modification)
Asrock NF6G-DVI ticks all these boxes. With undervolting you may even get away w/ stock heatsink.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:19 pm

I've liked Asus in ther past-but am now real inclined to go Gigabyte next time-and that 61P is especially neet. I like that the S series boards are all solid capacitors now-less apt to have background hum sneak into my audio.

HolyBastard

Post by HolyBastard » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:28 pm

Hehe thanks for the input. I may go for the Gigabyte even if it doesn't have undervolting as it will leave more room to put a big heatsink ( I hope so). Having a 6150 would be nice but I guess it is not that usefull since the machine will run in console mode most probably.

I looked for the Asrock but couldn't find it anywhere. Someone know a store that has it in stock?

vanhelmont

heat sink/fan

Post by vanhelmont » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:58 pm

Your cpu choice happens to be the same as mine (on order, not yet received)
and I'm going to cool it with an Arctic Cooling alpine64 92mm. I used the same on a Athlon 4000+ system I built about a month ago, and besides being cheap, it is quiet and sufficient for these processors that don't dissipate a lot of heat (unless you are planning to overclock it, then you might want something more). There's a spcr article on it in the cooling section, http://www.silentpcreview.com/article640-page1.html

HolyBastard

Re: heat sink/fan

Post by HolyBastard » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:09 pm

vanhelmont wrote:Your cpu choice happens to be the same as mine (on order, not yet received)
and I'm going to cool it with an Arctic Cooling alpine64 92mm. I used the same on a Athlon 4000+ system I built about a month ago, and besides being cheap, it is quiet and sufficient for these processors that don't dissipate a lot of heat (unless you are planning to overclock it, then you might want something more). There's a spcr article on it in the cooling section, http://www.silentpcreview.com/article640-page1.html
Have you tried to run the fan at 5 volt using the 4000+ underload? If this is indeed a good performer I could actually undervolt my processor and reduce the noise to a minimum while keeping the cooler small enough!

That would be nice!

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:02 am

I looked for the Asrock but couldn't find it anywhere. Someone know a store that has it in stock?
without knowing your location we can't help w/ that. You can add it in your profile.

HolyBastard

Post by HolyBastard » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:04 am

hehe sorry, I'm in the US (well not yet but I will be)

WallStreet

Post by WallStreet » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:01 am

HolyBastard wrote:hehe sorry, I'm in the US (well not yet but I will be)
You can find it here.