Sapphire Pure Innovation HDMI PI-AM2RS690MHD Questions?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

St@tik

Sapphire Pure Innovation HDMI PI-AM2RS690MHD Questions?

Post by St@tik » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:53 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm a long time lurker here, but a first time poster, and this website is the best! I didn't realize performance and quiet could go hand in hand, and now I won't build a pc without considering acoustics.

On to my questions....

1. I was wondering what you all think about this Sapphire motherboard?

Links in next post...

This board looks pretty awesome! I'm trying to build a quiet HTPC with a NSK2400, 3600+ Brisbane, and 2gb ram. I want a passive CPU cooler and I've seen other builds with coolers, like a XP-120, SI-128, etc. My concern is if you look at the board the CPU socket orientation is 90 degrees off from "normal". I'm not sure the Thermalright coolers will fit with the tall capacitors and that northbridge cooler. Plus if they fit won't the fin orientation be the wrong way for optimum cooling from the case fans? (Maybe I could duct it?) The Mini Ninja sounds perfect but I'm building this now not in June.

2. What CPU cooler do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!!!!
-St@tik

Steep

Post by Steep » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:16 pm

That rotated mounting bracket looks like it will prevent you from using the 120 series. The heatpipes would have space problems on one side with the heatsink or capacitors.

You might be able to put an xp-90 on there, but even then it would be rotated the wrong way. The exaust fans wouldn't have a good path through the cooling fins in that configuration.

If you're dead-set on having on-board HDMI, it looks like the Biostar TA690G and Asus M2A-VM may be better options for allowing a wider variety of heatsinks. I prefer the the PCI layout of the Biostar because if you were to install a large/passive graphics card, it would take up the space of the mostly useless (at the moment) pci-x1 slot.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:14 pm

The Sapphire board looks decent. Comparing the Asus M2A-VM, the Biostar and TA690G, and the Sapphire board, the first thing I see is the price. Both the Biostar and Asus board are $10 and $15 cheaper respectively. The Asus and Biostar boards also have one more USB port than the Sapphire. And only the Asus board has Firewire.

I'm not a Biostar fan. (But that's just me) Just because of the price, I'd rule out the Sapphire board. And just because I like Asus, I'd get the M2A-VM. (And it has the same features, for $5 less)

Hope this helps.

pfft

Post by pfft » Tue May 01, 2007 8:06 pm

I have the asus board. My suggestion if you are considering the asus board is to go to the asus website and check the certified vendor list for ram compatability. Kingston value ram makes the most sense as the asus board only runs cas 5 timings with no provision for adjustment.

The Sapphire board does have firewire! The firewire requires a blade that is included in the motherboard package. The Sapphire board is the most complete as far as including all of the add ons possible with the 690 chipset. It also has a very reasonable arrangement for the hdmi if contemplating a low profile case. I am planning on switching to the Sapphire board.

The biostar board does not list any firewire.

pfft

Post by pfft » Tue May 01, 2007 8:20 pm

To flesh out my earlier comments about ram with the asus board. If you go to the certified vendor list, you may notice very fast ram listed as compatable. This compatable ram usually has the epp. The non epp versions of the same ram are not on the compatability list. The motherboard has no ram latency adjustment. Kingston value ram in the 512 meg size (N not E version) is the most reasonable ram for the asus board.

In short, the setup of the asus board with any ram that has anything other than ddr2800 cas 5-5-5-15 in its spd is a pain. I am speaking from experience.

St@tik

Post by St@tik » Wed May 02, 2007 11:52 am

Thank you all for your suggestions !!
Steep wrote: I prefer the the PCI layout of the Biostar because if you were to install a large/passive graphics card, it would take up the space of the mostly useless (at the moment) pci-x1 slot.
I completely agree, and for that reason the ASUS board and any like configured board is out. How long do we have to wait to get x1 cards? Don't get me wrong I usually go with ASUS, but I have to many issues with their mATX boards.

The Biostar board looks nice except I don't see a S/PDIF bracket even though their website says it supports it. The bracket is probably avaliable for an additional cost if you can find it. The Sapphire board includes a S/PDIF in/out bracket, and features Dolby Digital Live.

If you "really" look at the Sapphire board it is the most complete as pfft said. It has nearly has everything. So $10-$15 dollars for more compatibilty and maybe a little future proofing seems reasonable.

So my only issue is the rotated mounting bracket, but I may have found a solution........How about the SI-128?

ciz28 used on on their build with good results.
viewtopic.php?t=36271&postdays=0&postor ... 28&start=0

It appears the SI-128 can be rotated 90 degrees with an included S-Clip.
http://www.svc.com/si-128.html

Is the THERMALRIGHT SOCKET AM2 RM ADAPTER (REV. B) included with every SI-128? Some vendors don't show it, but Thermalright's home page shows it is included.

Anybody see any issues with this configuration?

Steep

Post by Steep » Wed May 02, 2007 1:08 pm

St@tik wrote:It appears the SI-128 can be rotated 90 degrees with an included S-Clip.
http://www.svc.com/si-128.html
Very interesting. Looks like it would be a good match for your saphire board then.

If optical audio is important, have you considered the Abit NF-M2 board in your research? It has optical audio out (and IN) right on the motherboard, which would save you a PCI slot, but it doesn't have HDMI out, only DVI, but you could get a converter.

St@tik

Post by St@tik » Sat May 12, 2007 4:17 am

Well, it turns out I am currently unable to rotate the SI-128 90 degrees. :( I started another discussion about it here...viewtopic.php?t=40434&highlight=
I was however able to mount the cooler on the motherboard the other way without any clearance issues.... :D

This orientation will most likely not provide optimum passive cooling as previously discussed, but will work for now. Hopefully the Mini Ninja will be out soon so I can upgrade.

Watch for my post on this build soon !!!

-St@tik