Gigabyte mini-DTX motherboard

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Gigabyte mini-DTX motherboard

Post by rpsgc » Wed May 16, 2007 1:24 am

Gigabyte today announced the first mini DTX motherboard catering towards home servers – Churchill. The new Gigabyte Churchill mini DTX motherboard serves as a base for AMD’s Live! Home Media Server platform. AMD’s Live! Home Media Server platform allows home users to have their own server for data storage, media streaming, communications and home control tasks.

The new Churchill motherboard supports AMD’s Socket AM2 Athlon 64 and Sempron single and dual-core processors. Gigabyte equips Churchill with a SiS761GX north and SiS966 south bridges. The SiS761GX features an integrated Mirage 1 graphics core with DirectX 7 support. Other notable features of the Churchill motherboard include one PCIe x1, one PCI, six SATA 1.5 Gbps/sec ports with support for native command queuing, eight USB 2.0 ports and high definition audio support. Gigabyte also equips Churchill with a header for an optional TPM chip for security purposes.
ETA: July
Price: N/A

Source: DailyTech

Motherboard

Prototype case

At least in one aspect it's better than mini ITX, you can use a "real" processor ;)

jessekopelman

Re: Gigabyte mini-DTX motherboard

Post by jessekopelman » Wed May 16, 2007 2:19 am

rpsgc wrote:At least in one aspect it's better than mini ITX, you can use a "real" processor ;)
There are mini-ITX boards that support Core 2 Duo . . .

Whether or not DTX is successful is going to come down to price.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed May 16, 2007 3:43 am

Some... But most are VIA.

Hardtailed

Post by Hardtailed » Wed May 16, 2007 4:56 am

I find it funny that it has 6 SATA ports...
Where are you gonna put all those drives :shock:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed May 16, 2007 5:07 am

Sweet :D

That looks cool, now all we need are decent sensible priced cases, ideally with power bricks and an internal transformer rather than a standard PSU or mATX PSU.

The graphics looks totally pants, I have no idea how fast the "Mirage 1" is, but high-res video might be a problem, and its only a DX7 part, a mobo with a single chip solution nVidia chipset would be great.

Andy

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed May 16, 2007 5:15 am

Hardtailed wrote:I find it funny that it has 6 SATA ports...
Where are you gonna put all those drives :shock:
e-SATA perhaps? That could be possible.
andyb wrote:The graphics looks totally pants, I have no idea how fast the "Mirage 1" is, but high-res video might be a problem, and its only a DX7 part, a mobo with a single chip solution nVidia chipset would be great.
Well... It's fast, really fast. You know? Like snail fast :P
I don't know why they went with SiS, maybe because of price. It's the same chipset as on the new Intel ITX motherboard. Maybe that has something to do with it.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Wed May 16, 2007 5:22 am

This motherboard seems mildly bizarre. The back panel has only 4 USB, 1 LAN and 1 eSATA connector, no video connectors at all! There is a VGA header on the motherboard but it doesn't seem obvious how you're supposed to use it. Are they going to have a floating connector on the back plate? Maybe this is only an early revision....

Mini-DTX had better be on the cheap because the Albatron AM2 Mini-ITX motherboard does way more than this motherboard with less space.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed May 16, 2007 5:46 am

Gigabyte announces "Churchill" mini DTX motherboard for AMD's Live! Home Media Server platform
Not HTPC :P

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Wed May 16, 2007 7:10 am

True, this board seems to be intended as a server platform. Call me old fashioned but I don't really understand server boards with limited expansion options (ie dual tuner setup would require some mix of PCI/PCIe/USB tuners).

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Wed May 16, 2007 7:10 am

I thought that this was targetting semi-enthuiasts who wanted to use the OEM version of M$s forthcoming homer server OS - the one that you administer remotly. If that's the case then the 6 SATA ports is good, but nowhere to put the drives isn't! :lol:

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed May 16, 2007 8:24 am

pipperoni wrote:True, this board seems to be intended as a server platform. Call me old fashioned but I don't really understand server boards with limited expansion options (ie dual tuner setup would require some mix of PCI/PCIe/USB tuners).
Dual TV tuner on a home server board...?
CoolGav wrote:I thought that this was targetting semi-enthuiasts who wanted to use the OEM version of M$s forthcoming homer server OS - the one that you administer remotly. If that's the case then the 6 SATA ports is good, but nowhere to put the drives isn't!
Like I said above, you could use eSATA ;)
http://www.cooldrives.com/essaii3gbexp.html