Squeal/Whine Free Motherboards

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jazzforce

Squeal/Whine Free Motherboards

Post by jazzforce » Wed May 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Hello all! Great resource you have here.

Does anyone here have data on quiet boards or motherboard component quality? Meaning cap type, coil type, pcb quality etc? Or are there people here who build more than once a week or have had exposure to many many builds and know which are the whiners?

I'm trying to find the quietest board out there in terms of coil/inductor whine. I've been building for ages and never has there been a time with so many boards rushed to market with crappy whiny coils. I've just returned a DFI Infinity P965-S because it was whistling. They're all chasing the high FSB and that's great, but a little more QC on the hardware itself rather than just the bios would be nice.

I've also heard complaints about whine in the Commando, QuadGT, Evga 680s, P5B DX (my own), and more.

I'm thinking I need to go for a WS class Asus or a Badaxe2 for a whine free experience.

Please don't suggest insulating my case. I just want data or people with build experience.

Thanks!

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Wed May 16, 2007 7:29 pm

I'd be willing to pay a 10% premium on boards of they were QC'ed at guaranteed 0db.

I could understand a badly whining board, but I think it must be difficult to RMA a board simply because it's not SPCR-quiet. One of the reasons I've held back from upgrading. I'm very interested to see if anyone has any concrete info about this topic.

Out of all the topics discussed on this site, I think motherboard whine is the one which the outside world would have the LEAST sensitivity too, as people have gotten used to all electronics making some sort of electrical noise... from radios, to TVs, all forms of power adapters, fluorescent lights... it's something people get used to.

I have a strong interest in finding out more about this topic - it's the greatest challenge to 0db hardware IMHO.

oh yeah....

Welcome to SPCR

jazzforce

Post by jazzforce » Wed May 16, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks Cloneman!

I don't think we're alone on this one, I've seen lots of complaints about this recently. I too wish that a 0db noise test was added as a product feature, similar to a snr in high end audio components. I'd pay the price for it.

Unfortunately, there isn't much data on this subject other than suggested fixes. The only info I can gather is in OC forum threads.

I'm wondering if anyone's experienced this sound in the Badaxe2, P5K Deluxe or the Asus WS boards. These are among the few that I've asked about and owners have said it doesn't happen on theirs. These are guys who are familiar with the issue but that's still not much data.

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Wed May 16, 2007 9:12 pm

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Wed May 16, 2007 9:48 pm

That's interesting. All of the whining laptops I've heard are intel based. Though to be fair I've never even been on an amd lappy :/

I got a cheap biostar that whines a little, it's an intel. I have to say I haven't seen an AMD whiner yet, though I've never silenced one really....

jazzforce

Post by jazzforce » Wed May 16, 2007 9:53 pm

You know what that's true for me as well. I only have one AMD - Barton 2500 on an Asus A7N8X DLX. I built that in October 2003 and it's actually still solid as a rock and quiet.

But now I'm building Intel so I 'm looking to find a quiet board if possible.

pputer

Post by pputer » Sun May 20, 2007 5:53 am

What did you hear about the Asus P5B Dlx? I'm considering that board or the P5B Premium Vista MB which I found for $70 cheaper (similar board).

I was originally considering the DFI board but I read about it's whining/whistling sound.