windows xp "standby" mode

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dorkus

windows xp "standby" mode

Post by dorkus » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:11 am

hi all,

lately i have been putting my computer (Gigabyte NF4 Ultra mobo, can't remember the model offhand) into standby to conserve power at night. when i do so, all my system fans (video card, cpu, case) continue to run, unlike Dell computers which seem to shut everything down. i also noticed that my southbridge still runs super hot in standby, just as hot as when the computer is on. which makes me wonder if standby is saving any power at all, besides from spinning down the HD's. is there any way i can get my system to go into a "cold" standby state the way Dells do?

thanks,
dorkus

Palindroman

Re: windows xp "standby" mode

Post by Palindroman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:22 am

dorkus wrote:hi all,

lately i have been putting my computer (Gigabyte NF4 Ultra mobo, can't remember the model offhand) into standby to conserve power at night. when i do so, all my system fans (video card, cpu, case) continue to run, unlike Dell computers which seem to shut everything down. i also noticed that my southbridge still runs super hot in standby, just as hot as when the computer is on. which makes me wonder if standby is saving any power at all, besides from spinning down the HD's. is there any way i can get my system to go into a "cold" standby state the way Dells do?

thanks,
dorkus
Go to something like 'Power Options/Management' in your BIOS and set the ACPI to S3 or STR (suspend to RAM). Sounds like your mobo is preconfigured in S1 or POS (power on suspend).

S1 -> most components are left on

S3 -> everything except for RAM (where all the data is stored) is shut off

ivier

Post by ivier » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:07 am

I just happened to test the power consumption of my system (Intel C2D 6600, Asus P5B, few HDs) in various states. When using the system, it conserves around 150-160 W. In standby the power consumption is 8 W. When turned off, it's still around 6 watts. When switched off the PSU (BeQuiet), it's finally 0 W. With Antec Neo 430 W as PSU, the last figure was 1,5 W.

dorkus

Re: windows xp "standby" mode

Post by dorkus » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:44 pm

Palindroman wrote: Go to something like 'Power Options/Management' in your BIOS and set the ACPI to S3 or STR (suspend to RAM). Sounds like your mobo is preconfigured in S1 or POS (power on suspend).
sweet! that was exactly what i was looking for, worked like a charm... thanks very much. only peculiarity now is that the power LED no longer blinks when in standby (guess the Gigabyte doesn't support that in STR mode, unlike the Dells), and wake-on-keyboard no longer works (have to push the power button to wake)... no big deal, might be able to find a BIOS setting for that as well. thanks again.

cheers,
dorkus

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:06 am

You will have to see in Device Manager if you can enable your keyboard or mouse to "Bring computer out of standby". Look at the properties for each device and if there are and HID-compliant Mouse or Keyboard entries, try them as well.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:21 am

Is your keyboard USB? I've noticed my PC only does the "wake on keyboard" with the keyboard plugged intot he PS2 port; it doesn't work with my USB keyboard. I too just hit the power button to wake it up from standby.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:51 am

AZBrandon wrote:Is your keyboard USB? I've noticed my PC only does the "wake on keyboard" with the keyboard plugged intot he PS2 port; it doesn't work with my USB keyboard. I too just hit the power button to wake it up from standby.
If you have an older mobo, you may need to switch a jumper to allow the +5VUSB to remain active when the CPU, RAM, and fans shut down (S3 standby), otherwise there will be no power to the USB port and the mouse won't work. Sometimes this can also be change by a soft-jumper in the BIOS. Also, if it's connected to USB, it might also be contained in the HID-Compliant entries in the Device Manager.

frank2003

Post by frank2003 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:21 am

To wake from USB keyboard in S3 state, you need to do the following:

1. Enable wake from USB in BIOS,
2. If you are running XP/SP2, set this registry key and reboot:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb "USBBIOSx"=DWORD:00000000

I can wake my system from S3 from a wireless keyboard that 's connected to the system via a USB dongle.

Your BIOS may require a magic key sequence (ex IRRC asus uses control-alt-esc) for the wake up event.

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:26 am

ivier wrote:When switched off the PSU (BeQuiet), it's finally 0 W. With Antec Neo 430 W as PSU, the last figure was 1,5 W.
The latter can probably be attributed to the 5V Standby rail, which needs power even with the system off (to charge the battery).