Gigabyte P35 DQ6 and that dreaded coil whine

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cirrius

Gigabyte P35 DQ6 and that dreaded coil whine

Post by Cirrius » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:55 pm

Hi I recently spent loads on making my PC as quiet as possible without skimping on good airflow, Anyways last friday i decided it was time to upgrade my ASUS P5N-E SLI with a nice new Gigabyte P35 DQ6.

Steup went well updated the bios installed Vista ect then i began to overclock first i tried 400x8 on my E6600 to which i was greeted with a nasty high pitch whine that would change freq when i scrolled my mouse and the more i pushed the FSB and up the voltage the worst it got.

Im now sat a 333x9 as this is bearable also on stock volts to but the whining coil can still be heard thou not as bad shame really as this mobo a awsome overclocker.

Now if on stock the whining goes but i didn't spends loads on this mobo just to leave it on stock so now im planning on taking it back to the store were i got it from and exchanging it for another one, but the place were i bought it from test before they exchange now im worried that they not hear it and not give me a replacment so basically stuck with a mobo that suffers from bad tinnitus.

This is the first mobo i had that had this problem and i've had plenty in the past both my old Gigabyte DS3 and ASUS P5N-E never suffered from this problem and none of my AMD boards before that.

Anyways im thinking about trying another mobo something from either ASUS or ABIT but don't want to end up with coil whine again so any suggestion will be great as long as it a P35 chipset

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:48 am

Had the same problem with my Gigabyte GA-965P-S3. Anyway, the board is supposed to do 333MHz without problems, since it supports 333MHz FSB CPUs. Therefore you only need to tell them to test with such a CPU and they should also be able to hear the whine.

Cirrius

Post by Cirrius » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:34 am

Ok update packed the mobo up took it back to the shop they changed it without even testing it get a another DQ6 and guess wat the coil whine still there same sound so im guessing it not the mobo at all but something else causing it. here my specs see if anybody can figure out wat causing it to whine.

C2D E6600 @ 3Ghz 9x333 coz of the whine is less at this
Gigabyte P35-DQ6
2gig Patriot Extreme
Geforce 8800GTS
500gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Creative X-Fi Extreme Music
Hiper Type R 580watt modular PSU with P8 connection
Windows Vista

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:33 am

i began to overclock first i tried 400x8 on my E6600 to which i was greeted with a nasty high pitch whine that would change freq when i scrolled my mouse and the more i pushed the FSB and up the voltage the worst it got.
it's either the PSU or the MB VRM coils (I suspect VRM). you are going to have to do some very careful listening to find out which (ie take the PSU out of the case). just because the new mobo did not eliminate the whine does not mean the MB isn't the thing causing the noise.

Edub

coil whine

Post by Edub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:35 am

I agree with jaganath, I thought the whine was coming from my new Asus P5K deluxe board but on closer inspection and listening, it turned out to be my PSU which is a Seasonic M12 700 Watt. The whine appears to come about when I scroll through web pages and possibly ambient temperature. Jaganath is right, try switching out the PSU first before buying another board. I remember reading a thread in SPCR regarding voltages affecting the sound and whine in PSU's. Right now my PSU is not making noise but seems to get worse as the computer warms up.