Are integrated graphics mobos more energy efficient?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tommy Jefferson

Are integrated graphics mobos more energy efficient?

Post by Tommy Jefferson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:22 pm

Do motherboards with integrated graphics use less electricity those with an added graphics card?

I can't seem to find an AM2 motherboard with integrated Nvidia graphics and an S-Video output connector that rates well.

quest_for_silence

Re: Are integrated graphics mobos more energy efficient?

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:55 pm

Tommy Jefferson wrote:Do motherboards with integrated graphics use less electricity those with an added graphics card?
The answer should be definitely yes (see last smilingcrow's testings for C2D mobos as an example) even if you haven't pointed out which motherboards you're thinking about.
Tommy Jefferson wrote:I can't seem to find an AM2 motherboard with integrated Nvidia graphics and an S-Video output connector that rates well.
Maybe could you kindly point out some data about?

Luca
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:56 pm

In every case I've seen, onboard graphics uses less power than even a basic external card. The disadvantage is that often they're limited in how high resolution they can display, or only a single display, versus add-in cards that typically have two ports, often two dual-link ports, so in theory you could drive a pair of 2560x1920 monitors with a single fairly high-end add-in card. For most folks that don't game however, onboard graphics are plenty to get the job done on your normal 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 display.

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:09 pm

I can't seem to find an AM2 motherboard with integrated Nvidia graphics and an S-Video output connector that rates well.
Look for reviews on the Nvidia 6150 and 7050 chipset boards. I've read about them some time ago and was not left with the impression you have.

Tommy Jefferson

Post by Tommy Jefferson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:09 pm

Thank you for assisting me! I do very much appreciate your time.

I can only find two motherboads that have integrated Nvidia, AM2 socket, and S-video.

BIOSTAR TA690G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRe ... 6813138057

BIOSTAR TForce TF7050-M2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRe ... 6813138061

I have very limited funds. I can't afford to make a mistake. I need to get it right the first time. I don't game. I won't get HDTV within the next 4 years.

It's been five years since I built a machine. Back then, Biostar was not a respected manufacturer. I really wish I could find a different brand with these features.

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Re: Are integrated graphics mobos more energy efficient?

Post by RedAE102 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Tommy Jefferson wrote: I can't seem to find an AM2 motherboard with integrated Nvidia graphics and an S-Video output connector that rates well.
Rates well in what? I have just such a board: a Biostar TF7050-M2. It has the [relatively] new NVidia GeForce 7050PV graphics chipset, and has tonnes of options for connectivity: D-Sub (VGA), S-Video, HDMI, and DVI (via the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter). The 7050PV's HD credentials are mighty impressive too: Hardware acceleration for H.264, VC-1, and MPEG-2 (like the AMD 690G chipset) means far less CPU usage to playback and decode said common video formats, and thus, lower power usage.

On the subject of power usage, the system described in my signature idles at an impressive (IMHO) 41W AC, and even during 720p H.264 playback, creeps up to just 52W. For comparison, I was running a Biostar TF7025-M2 (7025 chipset--lacks said hardware acceleration) with the same components, and that drew 82W during 720p H.264 playback (just shy of the max consumption of 87W running Orthos).

And I'll stop now.

croddie

Post by croddie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:27 pm

Tommy Jefferson wrote:BIOSTAR TA690G
I have this. No problems with current software/drivers/bios.
Tested on this forum as having very low power. So I recommend it.
Main complaint about biostar is the website is very poor and you have to find drivers yourself on the internet; they are not all on the motherboard page. Their software is no good either but there is little need for it.
Works well for me, good performance, no stability problems. Only issue is the CPU fan is not turned off at low temperatures despite my instructions in the bios. Otherwise the latest bios is good.
NB this is an AMD chipset, 690g, best of the current integrated offerings apparently.

colin2

Post by colin2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:26 pm

I've had problems with the current software/drivers/bios on this board & overall the AMD/ATI chipset experience hasn't inspired confidence. I just posted the boring details on the TA-690G thread. But power consumption is good, so if power/cooling is a priority it may still be worth the hassle.

One of these days Anandtech will get around to posting their promised 690G reviews; FWIW a current article http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3125&p=4
names the Gigabyte 690G board as their favorite.

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:56 am

Asus make a 6150 board with a TV out on a header, and I'm sure that would be S-video.

Asus M2NPV-VM

Until ATI do more than talk about improving their crap linux video drivers, I'd advise Nvidia.

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:12 am

Offtopic question to ATI 690G users - can you use VGA and TVout simultaneuosly? This appears unanswered question so far...

Tommy Jefferson

Post by Tommy Jefferson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:30 pm

DanceMan wrote:Asus M2NPV-VM
Now I feel stupid. On Newegg I set about replicating the SPCR designed system here which uses the Asus M2NPV-VM.

Upon examination of the Newegg photo of that, I noticed it did NOT have an S-Video output.

I abandoned it, thinking the SPCR board was an older version that did include S-Video out, while the ones on Newegg were newer ones which did not.

It wasn't until I clicked on your link that I saw the ADDITIONAL backplate included with that mobo, which looks like this...

I feel stupid. That is more the board I want. It's the best solution I've been able to find.

Thank you!

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:57 pm

Thank you!
You're very welcome. These boards are under appreciated.
Offtopic question to ATI 690G users - can you use VGA and TVout simultaneuosly? This appears unanswered question so far...
I'd suggest trolling through the user posts on the product pages at NCIX and Newegg. They can be very helpful in revealing details like that. Also google the board name and the words "test" and "review" and read a few.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:06 pm

Tommy Jefferson wrote:Thank you for assisting me! I do very much appreciate your time.

I can only find two motherboads that have integrated Nvidia, AM2 socket, and S-video.

BIOSTAR TA690G

BIOSTAR TForce TF7050-M2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRe ... 6813138061

I have very limited funds. I can't afford to make a mistake. I need to get it right the first time. I don't game. I won't get HDTV within the next 4 years.

It's been five years since I built a machine. Back then, Biostar was not a respected manufacturer. I really wish I could find a different brand with these features.
Biostar has become quite good. Their AMD 690 mobo has a bunch of features-as does the Nvidia. Several brands tout the advantages of solid capacitors....then just offer them on a few high $ mobos. Biostar has them on ALL T series boards---including both of these you mention.

I HIGHLY (and often) recommend that before buying a mobo-you cruise through the NewEgg USER reviews on it. Overclocker/Gamer sites only obsess about framerates in Doom 3 or OC'ing a chip I can't even afford.....

At New Egg you get 50-100 various folks who are happy campers or not. Finding out that newbies are pain free and running..is good. Finding out experts are having fits over bios failures and features that don't work..or last a week then fry....bad.

You can see that some mobo may get 70% of reviews saying "excellent" while another has 35% saying "excellent" and a disturbing % saying Horrid...etc.

At THIS time.....Biostar and Gigabyte are doing very well in terms of making the product WORK in real life.

.....and if you are looking to integrated Vid...the 690 would be the pick. It's the best video overall and 690 boards are also low watt and not notoriously hot. My choice for an AM2 MATX board.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:21 pm

The Combo of a T series Biostar 690 and a Brisbane 4000 is a whole lot of bang for the buck. Anything you COULD build 4-5 years ago...will be way less powerful and way less QUIET. Stick a Ninja on it...put a LONE...Slow case fan in and Kaboom...you got staste of the art SILENCE....and it's pathetically inexpensive.

Tommy Jefferson

Post by Tommy Jefferson » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:08 am

ronrem wrote:I HIGHLY (and often) recommend that before buying a mobo-you cruise through the NewEgg USER reviews on it.
Click my links above to the reviews of those boards.

Some users are having exactly the problems you describe.

Everything changed for me. I just found out my cousin can get me a Core2Duo E6600 series for free. I was going with AMD for the value. Now I have to toss all my motherboad research and start over.

Lucky break, but I hate that I wasted all those hours.

djkest

Post by djkest » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:06 am

I have used the TV out and VGA out simultaneously with a 690G, so yes it can be done.