Virtualisation support in Nvidia chipsets

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ketan

Virtualisation support in Nvidia chipsets

Post by Ketan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:38 pm

I'm looking to replace 2 machines with just one which runs Linux as host OS and Windows as a guest using virtualisation.

For low power and good support in Linux, I'm looking at motherboards based on the Nividia 7050 chipset such as the TF7050-M2 from Biostar.

Could anyone with a motherboard with this chipset confirm (or otherwise) that there is support in the BIOS for virtualisation?

Thanks very much

nicov

Post by nicov » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:50 pm

I have an Abit AN-M2 running Windows 2008 RC and Microsoft Hyper-V. This requires hardware virtualisation support. This is present in the latest BIOS for this motherboard (there is an entry in the BIOS to enable/disable virtualisation)

aaa

Re: Virtualisation support in Nvidia chipsets

Post by aaa » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:51 pm

Ketan wrote:I'm looking to replace 2 machines with just one which runs Linux as host OS and Windows as a guest using virtualisation.

For low power and good support in Linux, I'm looking at motherboards based on the Nividia 7050 chipset such as the TF7050-M2 from Biostar.

Could anyone with a motherboard with this chipset confirm (or otherwise) that there is support in the BIOS for virtualisation?

Thanks very much
I have a Biostar TF6100 that supports it. Dunno about the new ones but that would imply it to be true with those as well.

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Post by RedAE102 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:10 pm

My TF7050-M2 came with a BIOS that has the option to enable/disable virtualisation support, and one of the first BIOS updates available for the TF7025-M2 added that functionality. Whether or not it actually works on this particular board, however... I would think so since it works on nicov's Abit.

Techno Pride

Re: Virtualisation support in Nvidia chipsets

Post by Techno Pride » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:10 pm

Ketan wrote:I'm looking to replace 2 machines with just one which runs Linux as host OS and Windows as a guest using virtualisation.

Thanks very much
Isn't this a feature of the processor instead of the mobo chipset? You just need an Athlon X2 or C2D 6xxx. Not too sure about mobile processors though.

EDIT: i've enabled hardware virtualization in VirtualPC2007 with my X2 and 6150 mobo chipset. How do I tell whether it's actually working?

nicov

Post by nicov » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:00 pm

Isn't this a feature of the processor instead of the mobo chipset? You just need an Athlon X2 or C2D 6xxx. Not too sure about mobile processors though.

Yes, but it has to be enabled in the BIOS (much like Cool & Quiet needs to be enabled in the BIOS)

i've enabled hardware virtualization in VirtualPC2007 with my X2 and 6150 mobo chipset. How do I tell whether it's actually working?

VirtualPC 2007 doesn't support hardware virtualisation extensions. The first Microsoft product to support hardware virtualisation is Windows 2008 Server. Don't know what the status of VMWare is with respect to hardware virtualisation.

Ketan

Post by Ketan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:06 am

Thanks very much for the replies. It sounds like it is pretty much supported.

Would anyone be able to confirm the option in the Asus M2N-VM HDMI and the Abit AN-M2HD

I've emailed the manufacturers about this more than a week ago but have had no replies from any.

Thanks again

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:57 am

I guess AN-M2 HD support virtualization. At least, there's a option in the bios, but I haven't used it before. Sorry.

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:50 am

nicov wrote:Isn't this a feature of the processor instead of the mobo chipset? You just need an Athlon X2 or C2D 6xxx. Not too sure about mobile processors though.

Yes, but it has to be enabled in the BIOS (much like Cool & Quiet needs to be enabled in the BIOS)

i've enabled hardware virtualization in VirtualPC2007 with my X2 and 6150 mobo chipset. How do I tell whether it's actually working?

VirtualPC 2007 doesn't support hardware virtualisation extensions. The first Microsoft product to support hardware virtualisation is Windows 2008 Server. Don't know what the status of VMWare is with respect to hardware virtualisation.
hiya, there is an option for "Hardware-assisted virtualization" in VPC2007. Isn't that turning on virtualization already?

Steve Teixera

Post by Steve Teixera » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:03 am

nicov wrote:Yes, but it has to be enabled in the BIOS (much like Cool & Quiet needs to be enabled in the BIOS)

I read in BIOS manuals that AMD-V is always enabled, unless there is a bios switch to disable it. So mainbords without the BIOSswitch can not turn it off. So you can buy any AM2 mainbord :)