IP35 Pro fan control

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PretzelB

IP35 Pro fan control

Post by PretzelB » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:07 pm

I think this is a stupid user question but is there a trick to getting the IP35 Pro to control your fans? I've had some nvlddmkm.sys video driver errors that I've been trying to debug and one thing I was never happy with was the inability to verify my cpu temps. I decided to take out the stock heatsink and install my Zalman cnps7000B-ALCU. It has a fanmate but I figured one reason I got this mb was because of a post here saying how nice it is to control this via uGuru.

Well after finally finding a beta bios to report a temp that actually changes with load, and finding a uGuru that works with Vista 64, I try to tell the system to throttle down the Zalman fan and nothing appears to happen. I also put an old Panflo 80mm fan and hung it in the front of my P182 and attached it to one of the AUX connectors but the bios doesn't see it. I can live with that for now because it's silent but the 92mm Zalman is driving me a bit nuts.

I'm sure it's me but not sure what else to check. It doesn't need to be a 4 pin fan does it?

Iron_Dreamer

Post by Iron_Dreamer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:38 pm

I had no trouble getting it to control two S-Flex fans (3-pin) on two different fan headers. In fact I'd say it has the best BIOS-based fan control of any motherboard I've used. I did not even mess around with the uGuru utility or speedfan, since the motherboard itself did such a good job of controlling the fans (with the right settings).

nick705

Re: IP35 Pro fan control

Post by nick705 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:33 am

PretzelB wrote: I'm sure it's me but not sure what else to check. It doesn't need to be a 4 pin fan does it?
If it's attached to the 4-pin CPU header then, yes, it needs to be a 4-pin fan (other people have claimed to get control over a 3-pin fan on that header, but I've never been able to get it to work). You can easily work around it by attaching the CPU fan to one of the other (3-pin) headers, and have it use the CPU as a reference temperature.

Not sure about your (in)ability to monitor temps - I'm still using the original BIOS the board shipped with (11), and I've not had any problems.

I've no idea why your board can't see the Panaflo either - are you sure you're looking in the right place? The uGuru BIOS submenu can be a bit confusing at first - the fan headers are arranged in groups spread over a couple of "pages" IIRC...