GA-P35-DS3x temp sensors?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Puffi

GA-P35-DS3x temp sensors?

Post by Puffi » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:59 am

where are the temperature sensors on the GA-P35-DS3x? are there any on the NB? i'm stressing my puter with prime95 and the highest temperature the motherboard is showing isn't really raising - it's pretty much the same as it was when idle - about 55-60C. if this isn't the NB it doesn't sound too good!

ReelMonza

Post by ReelMonza » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:14 pm

Yes thats not the MCH or ICH temperature.

You can use BIOS F4 to check both MCH and ICH built-in DTS temperatures.
Then you have to choose Intel QST for CPU Fan control
If you want to check temperatures inside XP/Vista youll have to install the HECI driver.
Intel QST will disable FSB overclocking and running memory divisors.

MCH temperature will show 66ºC (even if it is lower, will raise if higher) thats fine .
ICH runs at 85ºC most of the time.

Puffi

Post by Puffi » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:51 pm

umm...
am i getting this right? u're saying i should downgrade to F4 BIOS?? i'm using F11.

is the CPU fan speed control system in my board the intel QST? it doesn't say that anywhere. i have it (whatever it is) enabled, but it's not asking for any drivers under windows XP as QST should as far as i know.

and i couldn't find the HECI driver for this motherboard. it didn't come with the CD and the support site doesn't seem to have it either...

ReelMonza

Post by ReelMonza » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:47 pm

Yes you need to use BIOS F4 as Gigabyte disabled the Intel QST option in more recent BIOS versions for some reason.

You can download the HECI driver from Intel here

Puffi

Post by Puffi » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:03 pm

turns out there is no BIOS F4 for my revision of the motherboard... it's only for the rev 1.0 and 2.0, and i have the 2.1... so... i dont know if i should try to downgrade it.

but i dont know if this makes any difference now... it seems i should rethink the airflow in my case anyway. if some random sensor hits close to 60C it cant be good...

ReelMonza

Post by ReelMonza » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:39 pm

I forgot to say that F4 was only available for board revisions 1.0 and 2.0...
I know that 2.1 has 2 BIOS chips so even if you flash the wrong version the board might boot using the backup BIOS chip but youll have to test

60ºC isnt all that hot, it is just warm, normal temperature.
I usually idle/load at 50ºC open test bed. 60ºC inside a closed case (I believe) seems perfectly fine.
I still dont know where the sensor is located, couldnt find any solid information about it.

Puffi

Post by Puffi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:35 am

the temps seem to steadily rise, so it might get to 65C if i just let it be... and that might be ok IF my PSU didn't heat up like crazy as well, so i have to do something...

also the other temp sensor bothers me a bit. it idles at 28-32 and rises to around 50C right away when stressed. so that should be on somekinda chip, right...?

i think the first temp sensor is near the ICHR9 somewhere, but i cant be sure. that's just what some1 somewhere said. its temperature is pretty close to that on my 8800GT (watercooled). not the core, but the other one on the card somewhere. so i guess it shows the "system temperature", as it's called, quite well...

ReelMonza

Post by ReelMonza » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:25 pm

if the temperature is rising then you might be having some cooling problems
the other temperature is probably "CPU"
some people say the sensor is located somewhere near the end of the x16 slot but I doubt it

Puffi

Post by Puffi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:00 pm

i have a Q6600, so the CPU has 4 sensors that are shown separately... i guess the 2nd sensor could be in some other place on the CPU... but that sounds pretty unnecessary.

obviously i have cooling problems, but it'd be nice to know HOW BIG cooling problems i have.