CPU and mobo considerations... AMD or ?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:59 am

So when do I need a DVI connector with analog signals (DVI-I), except for connecting a display with only analog input?
The Apple Cinema Displays have DVI-I but I thought that was just a matter of backwards compatibility with older, analog only outputs?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Mats wrote:So when do I need a DVI connector with analog signals (DVI-I), except for connecting a display with only analog input?
The Apple Cinema Displays have DVI-I but I thought that was just a matter of backwards compatibility with older, analog only outputs?
It probably is it's only purpose. But the thing is DVI-I cable doesn't physically fit inside a DVI-D port (at least they didn't in the past). So you need a DVI-I port or adapter, if you want to use Cinema Display.

Maybe they have changed the DVI-D ports so DVI-I fits in? That would explain why newegg says DVI-I and Gigabyte specs DVI-D... It looks like I'm not really up to date on this matter...

This is what I mean.

Maybe DVI-D connectors look like DVI-I connectors these days? I don't know, but I do know, that the connector in Gigabyte motherboard can physically take in a DVI-I cable, even if it is limited to just digital signal.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:25 pm

I also thought the DVI-I cable didn't fit DVI-D, but yeah, maybe they've changed it.
The reason for why they didn't fit must have been that you should not try to connect an analog only PC with a digital only display.
That restriction is not needed AFAIK since different pins are used anyway, maybe that is why it's changed, just to be able to use the same dual link DVI-I (full pin) cable everywhere.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:40 pm

I would like to thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts.

To sum up:

I decieded to go with cheap RAM (probably 4GB), AMD CPU and AMD 780G.

I've still not finally decieded between 4850e and 5000+ Black Edition, and Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H, GA-MA78G-DS2H and Asus M3A-H/HDMI.

I like the GA-MA78G-DS3H due to ATX and good features, however, there's more BIOS updates for the DSH2... But which one is the most bug-free, is a tough to tell... The Asus also have several BIOS updates. Asus lacks some features, on the other hand it seems to have a better NB cooler...

One thing I dont like about Gigabyte DSH2, is 8 watt when off-power... That's ridicoulus, and makes me consider the Asus.

But I think it's time to make a new separate thread with Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H vs. GA-MA78G-DS2H vs. Asus M3A-H/HDMI.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:37 am

Thomas wrote:One thing I dont like about Gigabyte DSH2, is 8 watt when off-power... That's ridicoulus, and makes me consider the Asus.
I will add one more thing to this thread before moving to the next.

I don't know how much Asus M3A-H/HDMI draws power at standby, but le'ts say it's 4W.

Computer is in standby 20 hours a day, 365 days a year. 4W difference per hour x 24 h x 365d = 35 kWh. Electricity costs 0,08$/kWh. Whopping 2,8 dollars worth of electricity every year. I can see why this could be a deal breaker. :roll:

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:58 am

Erssa wrote:I don't know how much Asus M3A-H/HDMI draws power at standby, but le'ts say it's 4W.

Computer is in standby 20 hours a day, 365 days a year. 4W difference per hour x 24 h x 365d = 35 kWh. Electricity costs 0,08$/kWh. Whopping 2,8 dollars worth of electricity every year. I can see why this could be a deal breaker. :roll:
Basically, you're right. But thing is, that if you have enough stuff in the household, which draw more standby watts than nessecary, it adds up...

Another thing is, that around here one (1) kWh costs ~0,4 $. And my current Asus board is only 2 watt, just like the Asus P5E-VM HDMI.

So, 6 watt x 20 h x 365 d x 0,4 $ / 1000 = ~ 18 $

But the money is not my main concern, it's more because our government are very sluggish, when it comes to CO2 - and we still produce electricity in a way, which exhaust a lot of CO2...

On the other hand, I have the option of turning of my PC on the wall :wink:

ZMAJ

Post by ZMAJ » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:05 am

I just bough 4850E but b4 i install it on MB I got 1 question.

Atm I have brisbane 3600+ and "AMD Dual-core optimizer" installed. Shall I uninstall it b4 putting new CPU and then install it again, or I can just leave it?

Also how good can 4850 clocks at defualt voltage?

Mats

Re: ...

Post by Mats » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:22 am

ZMAJ wrote:I just bough 4850E but b4 i install it on MB I got 1 question.

Atm I have brisbane 3600+ and "AMD Dual-core optimizer" installed. Shall I uninstall it b4 putting new CPU and then install it again, or I can just leave it?

Also how good can 4850 clocks at defualt voltage?
I don't think you have to uninstall anything since both are dual core 65 nm.
Make sure your BIOS version supports the new CPU, or update it.
Maybe reset BIOS as well before swapping.