Looking to build a new quiet computer - recommendations?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

daba
Friend of SPCR

Looking to build a new quiet computer - recommendations?

Post by daba » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:20 pm

Hello all,

I've been out of the loop for a while but I'd like to build a new quiet desktop gaming rig that can adequately play games and watch movies on my monitors. Main limitations are my Dell 3007 and a secondary Dell 2405 so I'll probably need dual video cards.

I have no idea where to start so any setups are welcome. For budget let's say in the ballpark of $1500? Willing to go over if the price justifies it. I'm basically starting from scratch except for the case and PSU (Lian Li V1000, Corsair HX620) but if someone can recommend a better one than that I'm open to suggestions. I'll also need a recommendation on a heatsink, fan, etc.

I did some preliminary research and saw that the Q6600 just had a price cut to $185 so I'd be happy to use that chip unless someone recommends otherwise. Storage looking for at least 1TB and a MB that can do RAID-0, ASUS RAMPAGE or P5Q maybe?

In summary:
- Needs to be quiet
- Needs to be able to play games satisfactorily on Dell 3007 and be able to support an additional Dell 2405
- Would like at least 1TB storage and RAID-0
- Probably 4GB RAM
- Budget ~$1500 but can go higher if worth the value
- Motherboard with built in Wifi would be nice
- Have case and MB

Thank you!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:24 am

4 GB ram is easy, just pick the one you like appearance. Rams have little difference. Patriot, Crucial, Mushkin, Kingston Corsair OCZ are all equally good.

Xigmatek hdt-s1283 is excellent heatsink. ANothergood is thermalright HR-01 Plus

Scytheslipstream(s) for the case is well worth of consideration.

Current Ati HD 4870 and HD 4850 are excellent cards beating crap ut of nVidia competition and racing with GT 2x0 series. However GF 9800 GTX(+) , albeit its only rebranded 8800 GTS is pretty cheap and does offer nicely horse powers and decent stock cooler. + version is better than non-plus. I think HD 4850 might do the trick... its bit hot card so you may need 3rd party heatsink... Accelero S1 rev 2 + Scythe Slipstream 800 RPM will fix that problem quietly.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Good idea on the Xigmatek, seems to be recommended all around so I'll go for it.

I was thinking of getting the ATI 4870X2 when it comes out, only problem is, what aftermarket heatsinks can handle the dual-cores? For the price, it is about the same as two 4870's and initial previews are great. Anyone know?

juamez

Post by juamez » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:38 am

thejamppa wrote:Current Ati HD 4870 and HD 4850 are excellent cards beating crap ut of nVidia competition and racing with GT 2x0 series. However GF 9800 GTX(+) , albeit its only rebranded 8800 GTS is pretty cheap and does offer nicely horse powers and decent stock cooler. + version is better than non-plus. I think HD 4850 might do the trick... its bit hot card so you may need 3rd party heatsink... Accelero S1 rev 2 + Scythe Slipstream 800 RPM will fix that problem quietly.
The GF9800GTX(+) can only get to HD4850 performance-wise in SOME games. In most other games it loses. It also has to be noted that the GF9800GTX(+) uses more power than the HD4850. The reason that the HD4850 gets a bit hot is because the default setting for the fan is on quiet-modus. When you ramp up the speed a bit (doesn't have to be much), you only reach 55°C or so instead of 85°C. But since manufacturers release their cards at the standard quiet setting, that proves the manufacturers trust that it won't pose any problem. Indeed, the cards are getting hotter, but that does not say anything about how much power is being disappated by its cooler. Only that it performs a bit less, which gives you quietness in return. Nothing wrong with that - it's my main goal nowadays: maximum quietness with temperatures just within the reasonable limits.