AM2 Media Server/NAS/Seedbox Mobo?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

krille

AM2 Media Server/NAS/Seedbox Mobo?

Post by krille » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:27 am

Hi there!

I intend to build a combined file server/NAS (Network Attached Storage)/media server/BitTorrent seedbox placed on a Gbit LAN with a 100/100 Mbit fiber connection. It's supposed to run headless, but an IGP is useful for setting it up. The cheaper the better, there won't be any overclocking (no need), just a cheap, cool 45W AMD CPU (it's supposed to run quietly).

OS: Haven't decided yet, either Linux or Windows Server 2003. (While Linux seems best overall, all the desktops run Windows. Linux would mean non-NTFS partitioned storage drives - probably JFS or something - and permanently having to rely on a Linux server to access a few terabyte of storage doesn't seem very smooth at all.)

So I'm looking for a solid Socket AM2 board with these qualities:
* Rock stable with minimum hassle and relatively cool
* Passive chipset cooling is a must!
* The cheaper the merrier
* Minimum of 6 SATA ports
* Gigabit LAN
* Integrated Graphics (IGP)
* Good Linux support
* Abit, Asrock, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI or XFX (my distributor only carries those)

Any suggestions?

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:51 am

Hmm. How about this ASRock one?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=A780FullHD

I've no experience of this particular motherboard but have been happy with ASRock boards in the past. Only thing I'm not too sure about is the Linux support as I understand NVidia generally have better support than ATI chipsets. Not sure how much this has changed of late, however.

If you prefer to go the NVidia route, this Asus board could be another good option:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3& ... odelmenu=1

IIRC the IGP in this chipset is not as good as that in the 780G in the ASrock motherboard above but uses a little less power.