nvidia 8200 vs amd 780G

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bbzidane

nvidia 8200 vs amd 780G

Post by bbzidane » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:12 am

Hello,

I'm curious to see what people around here think about the nvidia geforce 8200 chipset. The majority of the posts I read around here seems to recommend/use the amd 780G chipset rather than the nvidia 8200.

With the few reviews for the 8200 floating around the internet, it seems the two are comparable in regards to the video quality and processor usage for video playback. As for power consumption, 8200 seems to be a bit better, as it is only one chip vs the amd north and south bridge two chips.

Is there something I am missing. I do understand that nvidia was late in getting motherboards out with the chipset, but does that explain the few people that makes mention of it?

thanks

QuietOC

Re: nvidia 8200 vs amd 780G

Post by QuietOC » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:11 am

bbzidane wrote:With the few reviews for the 8200 floating around the internet, it seems the two are comparable in regards to the video quality and processor usage for video playback. As for power consumption, 8200 seems to be a bit better, as it is only one chip vs the amd north and south bridge two chips.
It seems like the 8200 motherboards are just a little more expensive than the 780G motherboards. It is not at all clear which chipset consumes less power. The 780G can be signifantly faster than even the 8300 at 3D. Pairing any of these with a non-Phenom will run you into bandwidth limitations. Side-port memory certainly helps, but the boards with that just cost way too much ($105 for the Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H).

I just ordered a Foxconn A7GM-S for $67 from Newegg. It looks to be a nice upgrade over the flaky ASUS M2A-VM I've been using.

bbzidane

Post by bbzidane » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:43 am

The two boards I guess I'm comparing are

GIGABYTE GA-M78SM-S2H [Geforce 8200] @ 79.99
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H [AMD 780G] @ 84.99

so the cost for these boards seem comparable, at least from brands like gigabyta/asus

According to a comparison done by anandtech, Geforce 8200 uses between 0-10 watts less than the 780G. It is a close call, by if the computer is on 24/7, every little bit helps

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... i=3288&p=1

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:39 am

bbzidane wrote:According to a comparison done by anandtech, Geforce 8200 uses between 0-10 watts less than the 780G. It is a close call, by if the computer is on 24/7, every little bit helps
The nice VRM heatsink on the Biostar TF8200 could easily account for 3W of difference. You are comparing two Gigabyte motherboards. The 790G board has better audio and ethernet chips and 4 DIMM slots instead of 2. The lack of space between the memory slots and the CPU socket might cause an issue with aftermarket heatsinks on both of these boards.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:30 am

With Gigabyte 780G board you can use regular sized ram's with Ninja's. Minija and Rev B Ninja will fit. That is tested. It might look tight but its enough.

bbzidane

Post by bbzidane » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:32 pm

QuietOC wrote:
bbzidane wrote:According to a comparison done by anandtech, Geforce 8200 uses between 0-10 watts less than the 780G. It is a close call, by if the computer is on 24/7, every little bit helps
The nice VRM heatsink on the Biostar TF8200 could easily account for 3W of difference. You are comparing two Gigabyte motherboards. The 790G board has better audio and ethernet chips and 4 DIMM slots instead of 2. The lack of space between the memory slots and the CPU socket might cause an issue with aftermarket heatsinks on both of these boards.
I'm not sure I follow when you are referring to the VRM heatsink. The fan is optional for it, which I don't think is used in the comparison. And the Gigabyte board has no fan for the chipsets, which isn't a concern if there is sufficient airflow for the case.

For the audio, the two isn't that different, one uses ALC888 and the other ALC889A, not to mention I usually can't tell the difference between chipsets.

For Ethernet, again, minimal difference, 8211B and 8111C. It is not like it is by a different manufacturer.

4GB of memory is plenty for me, 2x2, so 2 vs. 4 slots means little to me.

So I still don't see the that big of a difference between the two.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:56 pm

They are about equivalent. NVIDIA has better driver support. For AMD 780G I couldn't even find drivers anywhere to download, not even form AMD's website. Also NVIDIA has better support for Linux and Windows 2000.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:55 pm

Rebellious wrote:They are about equivalent. NVIDIA has better driver support. For AMD 780G I couldn't even find drivers anywhere to download, not even form AMD's website. Also NVIDIA has better support for Linux and Windows 2000.
I've been looking at these two chipsets as well for a friend's build. My takeaway is that the 780G is a tad better on graphics and a tad worse on disk drive mgmt (poor ACHI implementation).

I looked at a couple of different AMD/NVidia builds and did not see any Win2k support for the chipsets by the vendor (for the peripherals, yes) - just XP and Vista. If you've seen differently- I'd love to have a link (friend is grumpy about giving up Win2k).

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:53 pm

Rebellious wrote:They are about equivalent. NVIDIA has better driver support. For AMD 780G I couldn't even find drivers anywhere to download, not even form AMD's website. Also NVIDIA has better support for Linux and Windows 2000.

Catalyst is located at AMD official website. Just click GO, and here you go. :wink:

jack_aubrey

Post by jack_aubrey » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:01 am

The latest Catlyst drivers should work fine. I'm using Catalyst 8.8 on Ubuntu 8.04 and it recognizes the 780G w/o problems. Maybe your issue is that you're looking for "780G" rather than "Radeon 3200" in the supported hardware list? The first is the chipset name, the second is the graphics core on the chipset.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:50 am

jack_aubrey wrote:
The latest Catlyst drivers should work fine. I'm using Catalyst 8.8 on Ubuntu 8.04 and it recognizes the 780G w/o problems. Maybe your issue is that you're looking for "780G" rather than "Radeon 3200" in the supported hardware list? The first is the chipset name, the second is the graphics core on the chipset.

Thank you, yes I did search for AMD 780 SB700 and there's nothing. I'd never heard of Radeon 3200 but now I have ;) AMD dowload site does not support Win2k on their new hardware

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:59 am

CA_Steve wrote:
I've been looking at these two chipsets as well for a friend's build. My takeaway is that the 780G is a tad better on graphics and a tad worse on disk drive mgmt (poor ACHI implementation).

I looked at a couple of different AMD/NVidia builds and did not see any Win2k support for the chipsets by the vendor (for the peripherals, yes) - just XP and Vista. If you've seen differently- I'd love to have a link (friend is grumpy about giving up Win2k).

I too use Win2k, you CAN install NVIDIA drivers on new mobos but you have to install manually. Win2k is the same core as XP but without the fat. See my post here for instructions:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/nforce- ... 71878.html

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:00 am

thanks!

danielG

Post by danielG » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:43 pm

Haven't read the the thread properly, I'm a bit sleepy.

I'd just like to add that my Asus M3A78-EMH motherboard (780G) has a Realtek 8111C NIC and it's giving me grief. The NIC does not (re)boot when my PC is hot, or even just warm. I have to shutdown the PC when this happens and wait 5-10 min for the PC to cool off.

Used to blame my southbridge temps, but now I know is is just a crappy NIC. Will go to the computer store on Monday and ask if it is a defective board or a common flaw.