Silencing my Abit IP35 pro xe powered system

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Riman

Silencing my Abit IP35 pro xe powered system

Post by Riman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:44 am

Hello all, I'm new here.

I'm currently running the above-mentioned motherboard in an Antec P182 case with a Corsair HX 520 PSU, an Intel Core2Duo E4500 with stock cooler and a Club3D GeForce 8800 GTS 320 mb with three 120mm fans connected to SYS and AUX 1 and 3.

Now, I'm new to this setup and I'm new to silent pcs in general. I just got it on the recommendation of a friend. He had his pc here and we honestly couldn't tell if it was on or not. I would, obviously, like to achieve the same result while the pc isn't under stress.

All the fans are connected to their respective motherboard pins and uGuru detects them and controls them. The problem lies in it not lowering the fans enough, I reckon. Right now the CPU fan is running 1200 rpm and the three fans run 960, which altogether makes quite a bit of noise, compared to not being able to tell whether the thing's on or not. With these settings uGuru registers the following temperatures: CPU:30c, System: 28c, PVM: 36c. I set the low limit for all fans in the bios to 300 rpm - 30% for the CPU fan, but they just don't dip below those 960.

How can I help on this situation?

I'm not sure what more specifications I need to post, so if anyone needs more enlightenment, just tell me where to look and I'll gladly share my info.

Any help is appreciated =). Thanks.

/Riman

Bar81

Post by Bar81 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:49 pm

Your biggest problem isn't the case fans. The first thing you'll want to do is replace the CPU HS/Fan with something like a Ninja with a large 120mm fan and replace the HS/Fan on the video card with something passive or quiet.

Then get some Zalman fanmates for all the fans in the system since uGuru, as you suspected, definitely does not run the fans low enough to be virtually silent as its lowest setting is 8v (did you try to manually limit voltage in uGuru to see if the 8v setting is okay with you?).

In any case, why don't you just ask your friend for help since you like his results?

Riman

Post by Riman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:22 pm

I tried - he appears to be clueless and claims he runs his rig stock, with its default settings. He says he never touched it and it just worked wonders. I find it hard to believe, as I haven't achieved the same results myself and run practically the same hardware. The differences between my system and his are that he has an Abit IP35 pro, where I have the pro xe model, he has an 8800 gt, where I have the gts, he runs a Corsair 400 PSU where I run a 520 and he has a Core2Quad 6800 or something of that ilk, while I have the aforementioned processor.

I really don't understand how the results can be this different. His system practically shuts all fans down unless they are needed, while mine keeps spinning them. I expected this to be some kind of software/bios thing that could be tweaked. Either way, all I got from him was a 'good luck'.

I haven't tried manually limiting the voltage, no. I don't know how to do that tbh. Thanks for the suggestions on what hardware to get. If I have no other ways to achieve my goal, I will definitely look actively into it.

/Riman

Bar81

Post by Bar81 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:41 pm

On bootup hit delete and go into the BIOS. Pick the first option and then hit the right arrow to go into the fan control submenu. Enable all the fans and set them all to 8v at 30C and 12V at 50C. Once done, esc out until you get to the main BIOS screen and save and exit, hit Y and then it will reboot. It should make a significant difference in noise as long as the CPU and video card fans aren't too loud.

Riman

Post by Riman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:50 am

Done - they already were at those settings. I was however able to turn them down to 6V in the windows version of uGuru by going into user-defined mode and lowering to 6V. This caused the fans to sink to 760 rpm.

For normal use, I wouldn't complain. The sound it makes doesn't really bother me while I work at it. The issue arises, when my gf stays up late and I need to sleep to get to work the day after. The pc is right at the foot end of my bed, connected to a screen at the desk and a tv in the living room.. so she moves into the living room, when i need to sleep and works on it from there.. but the pc stays in the same room as I and, since I need to sleep through it, it just needs to be quiet. (It's not an option to move the pc into the living room, btw) =)

I'm just spitballing here, but.. would raising the minimum temperature do something? I mean, if this system works so that we define a voltage at a certain temperature, raising that temperature threshhold might cause the system to turn the fans off until it registers such temperatures?