Help me figure out my board

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

EvoFire

Help me figure out my board

Post by EvoFire » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:09 am

I have a board sitting here, telling me that, on top of it, that it is an ASUS A8V-E. I cannot, for the love of god, find ANYTHING for this. It isn't even LISTED on the ASUS site, none of them, global, taiwan, US, Canada, HK. The board layout is the same as the A8V-E Deluxe but with a sticker on top of the word Deluxe, and its missing all of the extra components that make up a deluxe. Basically if you go to ASUS's website, search up A8V-E Deluxe, take that picture, and remove the Gigabit lan and chip, extra SATA controller and the plugs on the bottom edge of the board, the Firewire chip and corresponding header, the MOSFET cooler, and cover the word "Deluxe" with a white sticker, you would have my board.

My suspicions right now is its a board off an OEM computer, HP or eMachines or something like that. What leads me to believing that is due to it not having a CPU heatsink bracket as I believe OEM's used their own proprietary heatsinks and didn't use the stock heatsink brackets.

HELP PLEASE!

PS: One more thing, if it is a OEM board, can I flash it with the Deluxe BIOS so it would work as a Deluxe, just minus all the extra components? I can always just disable them in the BIOS and pretend its not there right? *hopeful*

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:57 am

I don't understand what your question was?
Is it anything wrong with the board?

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:58 am

A8V-SE? No extra SATA, no firewire, no special cooling but Gb/Lan link

Though, I would try an install of whatever OS you want first and see what happens, you probably don't need a BIOS update unless that one is particularly crappy.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:09 am

The SE (second edition) was a newer version that supported X2's.
This is an older model similar to the Deluxe, most likely without dual core support. Photo.

A8V-E Deluxe CPU support.

A8V-SE CPU support.

Most of the VIA 939 boards that already existed when the X2 showed up didn't work with them. Thread.

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:03 am

Mats wrote:The SE (second edition) was a newer version that supported X2's.
This is an older model similar to the Deluxe, most likely without dual core support. Photo.
Do you have one?
That looks exactly as he described. Any more info?

Also the stock retention frame might've been taken off by someone adding an aftermarket cooler.

edit: can also see what the boot screen says though it probably is the first gen model. If it's possible to figure out what OEM machine it may have been in they might have BIOS updates. Though that could be extremely tedious.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:36 am

Nope, don't have it, just found it on the net.
That board looks like a retail model.
Look at the typical ASUS EMI bag underneath, and that yellow manual, similar to this one. Also a back plate and a CD.

Not saying that OP's board is retail though.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:06 am

It seems like the pic comes from a K8V-E SE.

Newegg pic.

So the SE does have a sticker over "Deluxe", maybe the OP's board is a SE after all?
Asus site clearly shows a SE board, no sticker. IIRC the first SE boards were rebadged Deluxe PCB's without the extra components.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:15 am

EvoFire: Check the parallel port, does it have a sticker, like this one? What does it say?

I bet it says A8V-E SE.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:17 am

Thanks guys for the enthusiastic help, very much appreciate it.

Yes Mats, you nailed it, it says A8V-E SE there :lol:
I also found the chip that is the Marvell Gbit lan. Its a lot smaller than what I expect it to be compared to the discrete PCI lan cards that I've used.

However, this begs the question, would this run the BIOS offered the ASUS site as its obviously based off of the older board layout, not the new one.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:47 am

EvoFire wrote:However, this begs the question, would this run the BIOS offered the ASUS site as its obviously based off of the older board layout, not the new one.
AFAIK, the difference is just the printed model number on the PCB.
Imagine Asus, when they realized that one of their best selling AMD boards became very unpopular over night.
Suddently they had lots of unused PCB's that never became finished Deluxe boards.
Those were used for making the first SE boards, and then came the ones with the correct name.

So I think it's just cosmetical. I'd use the regular SE BIOS.

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Cool, nice detective work Mats.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:57 pm

There are some differences to the circuit board, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

On a side note, as I was searching up these boards, I realized that the older A8V and A8V-E Deluxe had the same southbridge as my KT600 board I'm using for my Athlon XP. The A8V-SE only has a slightly revised version. That's a really old part they are using there.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:55 am

I would be really really careful with your bios update / upgrade. If only a small component isn't identical, for instance a clock generator, it could render your board as dead as it can possibly be. If you get to this scenario you have to re-flash your bios chip in an other board or a flash-chip writer.
On the other hand, it can just work fine, but you never know before you try it ;)