Mini-ITX Recommendation (needs hd playback)

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

updawg

Mini-ITX Recommendation (needs hd playback)

Post by updawg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:32 am

I am looking for opinions on getting a mini itx board that is capable of HD playback. It can be either AMD or Intel it doesn't really matter to me. Most mini itx boards seem to have there quirks but I just want to see what you guys recommend. I was directed here from another forum and there seems to be a lot of great information on this forum and I hope I can contribute after I start my next project.

Thanks!

blandoon

Post by blandoon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:54 am

Windows or Linux? Also, is this a dedicated HTPC or set-top type of box, or just a small PC that will be playing video content from time to time?

In any case, the complete mobo/CPU set still seems to be cheaper on the AMD side. Provided you have a graphics chipset that can accelerate the video playback on your platform of choice, the wisdom I have heard is that you should get the cheapest and/or lowest-power dual-core CPU you can find. I have not personally used an AMD 780G-based motherboard yet, but they come highly recommended for their efficiency and will certainly suffice for HD playback on Windows.

On Linux, a Geforce 8200 is probably the most effective choice. The latest Nvidia drivers do wonders for Linux HD video if your software is set up to use it.

updawg

Post by updawg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:41 pm

This is actually a project I am working on over the summer. I am gutting an original Nintendo and I plan on water cooling a socket 775 or AM2, it doesn't really matter. It's a NorthQ Siberian II all in one (I hate all in one's as much as the next guy but the block is combined with the pump and should be able to mount inside the box).

I'll most likely dual boot but I would definitely prefer HD playback be smooth in both ubuntu and windows.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:35 pm

updawg wrote:I am gutting an original Nintendo
STOP... RIGHT THERE! Why?! Why would you harm innocent life?!

That's it, now you're officially in my "could-have-been-a-nice-guy-and-friend-but-instead-finds-killing-innocent-lives-more-important" list. Have a good day Mr.

updawg

Post by updawg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:44 pm

You could call him a fallen soldier with an organ donor card. The system is broke but I held on to it for whatever reason when I was a kid, it was replaced with one of the smaller top loading systems.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:46 pm

Its good that system was dead, since working Original Nintendo would be worth more than the ITX-system you're putting in, well in some circles it is. I do hope you post some pictures in general gallery when its done ^^

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Haha, what if the Nintendo was already broken? Maybe he is just using the shell. Give the guy a chance before we throw him off a cliff!

updawg

Post by updawg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:06 pm

Ch0z3n wrote:Haha, what if the Nintendo was already broken? Maybe he is just using the shell. Give the guy a chance before we throw him off a cliff!
read a few posts up, I already said that it was :)

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:57 pm

[shrug] I had the topic open before you said that so I didn't see it till after I posted. But yeah, you definitely need some pics, should be exciting. How are you going to fit a heatsink in there?

updawg

Post by updawg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:26 pm

there is 3.5 inch clearance inside a nintendo case, the block/pump is all in one and only sits about 2.5 inches when mounted and then i'll run the tubes out the side and mount the radiator on top of the nintendo case.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Fair enough, I guess I had forgotten how big those were. You gonna leave part open so you can blow in it to make it work? Slimline slot loader would be awesome.

updawg

Post by updawg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:13 pm

I plan on using a slim line optical drive where you would normally put a cartridge. I also am going to make the power and reset buttons works, and I would like to convert the controller ports to USB ports.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:26 am

It's not the system! You had a harmony in your life, it consisted of the lust to play but your partner gave up and you outlived her! She was too powerful and couldn't control her feelings. You forgave her. We forgive her. Let her rest in piece.

...on the other hand... if you promise to install a NES emulator in your new HTPC, I am happy to put you in my "ain't-that-bad-friend" list ;)

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:08 am

LodeHacker, you really have too much free time on your hands. :wink:

updawg

Post by updawg » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:52 am

not only will I do that lodehacker, but I've also seen where you can actually hook up the controller ports directly to a parallel port and plug your controllers in and actually use the classic controller under the nes emulator.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:10 am

I think I need a change of pants, that sounds pretty awesome. Even more amusing would be if you put like a controller jack for like 3-4 old systems (NES, SNES, Genesis etc.).

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:25 pm

Ch0z3n wrote:LodeHacker, you really have too much free time on your hands. :wink:
Wait, just wait I'll find a good list where I can put you into... Oh yes here we are, the "can-be-friend-or-foe-or-both-and-eats-cookies-with-peanut-butter" list ;)

updawg, check out http://www.retrousb.com/index.php
They sell kits which can be used to transform NES controllers to USB. Instead of modding the controllers, you can build an internal USB adapter which is directly soldered to the physical controller ports on the NES. Then chop off an internal front panel USB cable from an old system and modify the cable to have it plugged to both USB adapters. This way you use a single USB header on your motherboard, but the controllers will work regardless of which OS and they are plug'n'play.

Many mini-ITX boards I've seen have a single standard USB header, what could be a better use for them than this? :D

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:14 pm

The J&W Minix is a sweet little thang. I'm not an ITX guy, but the performance/features of this little board is astonishing.

updawg

Post by updawg » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:20 am

I was looking into the MINIX 780G-SP128MB but they are also coming out with another board the MINIX G45HD, I was hoping if anyone knew when it was supposed to be released?

Thanks!