j&w minix 780g ITX in stock at geeks.com

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hans007

j&w minix 780g ITX in stock at geeks.com

Post by hans007 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:11 pm

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... BB&cpc=JAD

Looks like they have a few refurb boards. its 4.1% off with bing cashback too.

$119.99 is not too bad if you dont mind refurb. Great board (I have one), has full am3 support and voltage and overclocking controls.

bugmenot

Post by bugmenot » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Hey hans007, i have the same board, and is very happy about it :-)
But think that the chipset is running a little to hot for my taste, so I'm looking for a replacement for the chipset cooler, but can't find one that will fit over both the 780G northbride and southbridge ..

Any idea's ?

Have been thinking of modding a Thermalright HR-05 IFX so it would fit, but not sure that's so easy :-)

hans007

Post by hans007 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:30 pm

bugmenot wrote:Hey hans007, i have the same board, and is very happy about it :-)
But think that the chipset is running a little to hot for my taste, so I'm looking for a replacement for the chipset cooler, but can't find one that will fit over both the 780G northbride and southbridge ..

Any idea's ?

Have been thinking of modding a Thermalright HR-05 IFX so it would fit, but not sure that's so easy :-)
It does run pretty hot. I had read somewhere j&w was supposed to give a fan for it, but i didn't get it. Mine hasn't really been a problem and it is in a pretty cramped case right now, so I haven't really done anything about it.

If you don't mind having a fan on it, you can easily screw a 40mm fan directly into the stock heatsink and it does make a big difference (even a quiet one that is slow spinning). I had done that before and it works fine (a spare fan from a pentium M cooler)

bugmenot

Post by bugmenot » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:15 pm

In the first batch that J&W send out, there was no additional fan for the north, but in the packed that i revised it was included .. But i rather change the cooling block to something like thermalright so the cooling could be much better with less noise / heat ..

Right now i have a Ninja Mini passive and a 120mm thats mounted right beside the north so the Ninja gets a descent airflow, but it would be more nice with a good chipset cooler so that i can run it all passive and with less airflow :-)

I'm in the startup phase of designing a new case for it, but not sure if i want to invest in a pico psu + slim dvd burner instead of my Chill Innovation + NEC burner, that will make the case a lot smaller ( witch is my goal ) but I'm not sure that a slim burner can handle the load of burning as much as I'm dooing now :/

It's very hard to find a decent case thats isn't to big thats can handle 2 x HDD, non-slim DVD burner and my Ninja Mini, right now I'm using a Antec NSK2480, but thats a microATX and it's way to big :-) but it was cheap ..

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 am

Hey guys, check out my minix build here: viewtopic.php?t=54345
(I think i poste in the wrong forum)
No need for 40mm fan on the chipset as my 120mm fan spans both the CPU and the chipset. Does anyone get correct temperature readings for the NB in bios though? Mine never changes from 51C.

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Just a little note here. I am a fan of Geeks, in fact live less than a mile from them and have been a regular in their retail showroom for 4+ years. Having said that, they are one of the places where "refurbished" can mean the same thing as "used". Not saying that's the case here, necessarily, just don't confuse their definition of refurbished with "factory recertified" or something similar. It might be like new or it might be...used.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but just felt compelled to dig out my old spcr password to leave this comment!

hans007

Post by hans007 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:20 pm

Tom P wrote:Just a little note here. I am a fan of Geeks, in fact live less than a mile from them and have been a regular in their retail showroom for 4+ years. Having said that, they are one of the places where "refurbished" can mean the same thing as "used". Not saying that's the case here, necessarily, just don't confuse their definition of refurbished with "factory recertified" or something similar. It might be like new or it might be...used.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but just felt compelled to dig out my old spcr password to leave this comment!
well anything refurbished is used...

i think its just how high their refurbishing standards are. apple for example its basically new looking. but some manufacturers are ok with say cosmetic damage.

then again this isa motherboard so i'd assume it'd be ok.