Intel DH55TC drivers and similar?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ziphnor

Intel DH55TC drivers and similar?

Post by ziphnor » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:49 am

I recently built a (home) server based on Windows Server 2008 R2, Core i3-530 and an Intel DH55TC.

I installed most of the drivers on the included DVD, but i noticed that Intel Storage Matrix manager wasnt included.

Im wondering what drivers others have installed to ensure everything is running correctly.

For example, are people installing the Intel Management Engine which is listed for this board ( what purpose does it serve? )

Additionally, are people installing Intel Storage matrix manager (or whatever its called)?

deruberhanyok

Post by deruberhanyok » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:41 am

While I couldn't speak for that board specifically, I will say that I've found the Matrix Storage Manager application to be VERY useful. It shows all of the devices connected to the SATA controller and their status, etc. I actually had it give me a pop up warning about a drive, which gave me enough time to back up all the important stuff on it before it died a few days later.

I highly recommend installing it. It's a small application that leaves barely any footprint on your system at all.

ck8-04

Post by ck8-04 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:40 am

Try not to use the drivers on the included CD if you can. They are usually outdated. Grab the latest drivers here. You can also download and install the latest BIOS as well as the Rapid Storage Manager (the Matrix Storage Manager has been renamed).

ziphnor

Post by ziphnor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:55 am

ck8-04 wrote:Try not to use the drivers on the included CD if you can. They are usually outdated. Grab the latest drivers here. You can also download and install the latest BIOS as well as the Rapid Storage Manager (the Matrix Storage Manager has been renamed).
Thanks, i am aware that its a good idea to use the latest drivers form intels site, i am mostly confused as to what i should install :)

If i go to that link and select my board and OS (win 7 x64 since im using Server 2008 R2) i do not see the Rapid Storage Manager listed.

My primary concern is that network and disks are working as fast as possible using as little power as possible.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:24 am

deruberhanyok wrote:While I couldn't speak for that board specifically, I will say that I've found the Matrix Storage Manager application to be VERY useful.
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/

ziphnor

Post by ziphnor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:17 pm

According to Intel:
The chipset must be using one of the following controllers:

Intel® PCHM SATA RAID/AHCI controller hub
Intel® PCH SATA RAID/AHCI controller hub
Intel® ICH10R/DO SATA RAID/AHCI controller hub
Intel® ICH10D SATA AHCI controller hub
Intel® ICH9M-E SATA AHCI/RAID controller hub
Intel® ICH9M AHCI controller hub
Intel® 82801IR/IO controller hub (ICH9R/DO) - RAID and AHCI
Intel® 82801HEM I/O controller hub (ICH8M-E) - RAID and AHCI
Intel® 82801HBM I/O controller hub (ICH8M) - AHCI only
Intel® 82801HR/HH/HO I/O controller hub (ICH8R/DH/DO) - RAID and AHCI
Intel® 631xESB/632xESB I/O Controller Hub - RAID and AHCI
Intel® 82801GHM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7MDH) - RAID only
Intel® 82801GBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7M) - AHCI only
Intel® 82801GR/GH I/O Controller Hub (ICH7R/DH) - RAID and AHCI
The DH55TC doesnt have any of these controllers. However the RST installed just fine anyway (and it did update at least one driver). It also provides alot of useful information (for example that NCQ is enabled for all my drives etc). I also notice that Intel has the following to say about RST:
Intel Rapid Storage Technology provides benefits to users of a single drive as well. Through AHCI, storage performance is improved through Native Command Queuing (NCQ). AHCI also delivers longer battery life with Link Power Management (LPM), which can reduce the power consumption of the chipset and Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive.