Socket M miniITX motherboards -- comments and advice

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

b3nbranch
*Lifetime Patron*

Socket M miniITX motherboards -- comments and advice

Post by b3nbranch » Sun May 16, 2010 11:09 am

I retired a socket M system (T7400 CPU) a few months ago because the microATX motherboard was getting flaky. It would forget the time and turn off the LAN interface with every reboot. (And yes, I replaced the CMOS battery, to no effect.) I built myself an LGA 775 miniITX system (e7500, Zotac 9300-I-E) which I like very much.

Recently I had the thought to reuse many of the old parts (T7400 CPU, picoPSU, two 2.5" hard drives, CD/DVD drive, fans) in a miniITX system. The choices for motherboard are, of course, not many for such an old socket. I've located the Jetway J9F2-KHDE, MSI fuzzy-945gm1, and MSI fuzzy-945gm2. I'm leaning towards the fuzzy-945gm1 because I think don't need the PCIe-16 slot of the gm2, and I've seen some unflattering things about the Jetway on the net.

Clearly, I'm looking for advice on choosing the motherboard for this second system, which will be a 'messing-around' system that I don't mind reloading OSes on, etc.

One concern is the maximum resolution on the DVI port for the Intel 950 graphics IGP. I'm currently using a 1680x1050 monitor and hope to move up to 1920x1080 in the next six months or so. Will the GMA950 support these resolutions? (this is clearly not a game machine.) If not, will the PCIe-16 slot on the gm2 properly override the IGP and run my old nvidia 7300GS video card?

I'm hoping to mute the the proprietary heatsink/fan on these boards with a combination of undervolting the little-screamer fan and aiming a 120mm case fan at it. (One likely case is the Apex MI-008. A Silverstone SG05, such as in my new primary machine, would be half empty!)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Ben