Are there still bios undervolt motherboards?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

Are there still bios undervolt motherboards?

Post by dan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:56 pm

My DFI and SOYO were the last motherboards that I had that were undervoltable at bios. Do these still exist for the newer core2 and core i-series cpus?

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:45 am

Every recent Gigabyte motherboard I've seen has a M.I.B (Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker) section in the BIOS to allow changes to clocking and voltage. I'm pretty sure most Asus boards have something similar.

The only other boards I have some experience with are Intel boards, which don't offer any such options.

CTT

Post by CTT » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:17 am

Most Gigabyte motherboards have undervolting options.
I don't think Asus would be a good choice from this point of view; I exchanged the last Asus motherboard I had (AMD 780G) for a Gigabyte with the same chipset and one of the two reasons was specifically this - lack of undervolting.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:03 pm

My MSI platinum 2 doesn't.

wiliamsmith10

Post by wiliamsmith10 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:00 am

Today's every gigabyte motherboards have undervolting options. I dont think ASUS is good motherboard. because i faced some problem in my old motherboard so in the new pc i install gigabyte. good motherboard i not faced any problem yet.

Redzo

Re: Are there still bios undervolt motherboards?

Post by Redzo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:54 am

dan wrote:My DFI and SOYO were the last motherboards that I had that were undervoltable at bios. Do these still exist for the newer core2 and core i-series cpus?
of course they do...

echn111

Post by echn111 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:21 pm

> My MSI platinum 2 doesn't.

That's surprising. MSI's platinium series are for overclockers, meaning they will allow you to adjust the voltage. It's often in the "advanced chipset options" (or similar) in the BIOS and called something like "CPU voltage" (or vcore or similar).

And if you can increase the voltages, you can normally decrease them. Does the BIOS prevent you from decreasing the voltage below default? If so perhaps you have a really old board...

As for modern motherboards, almost every non-budget board allows control over voltages, including reducing them below default.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:13 pm

echn111 wrote:> My MSI platinum 2 doesn't.

That's surprising. MSI's platinium series are for overclockers, meaning they will allow you to adjust the voltage. It's often in the "advanced chipset options" (or similar) in the BIOS and called something like "CPU voltage" (or vcore or similar).

And if you can increase the voltages, you can normally decrease them. Does the BIOS prevent you from decreasing the voltage below default? If so perhaps you have a really old board...

As for modern motherboards, almost every non-budget board allows control over voltages, including reducing them below default.
I can over volt and overclock but not undervolt. I thought Intel locked undervolting on their newer p roc so as to charge a permium of their low-volt cpu

rocketJeff

Post by rocketJeff » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:08 pm

I had an Asus P5n-e SLI for socket 775 that could not undervolt when the cpu is overclocked. I believe you can undervolt if it's left on stock speed though. I am currently using the Asus M4A77D socket AM2+ that could undervolt up to 0.3v below VID.

So I guess the answer is, depends?

tuomaspt

Post by tuomaspt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:03 am

Asus P5Q S775 P45 can undervolt down to something like vcore=0.8V at least. However, if any FSB speed/CPU multiplier settings are changed from default then you lose multiplier speedstep and c2/c3/c4 sleep states.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:11 am

My two most recent motherboards have been gigabyte. An AMD 785G and Intel H55. Both have relative voltage adjustments in the BIOS meaning I could set it to -0.2V or so to undervolt and not lose the C'n'Q or SpeedStep ability. With the AMD, I actually set a modest undervolt in the BIOS and then used K10Stat to tweak it a little more since I could go lower at idle than under load. The Intel didn't really see much advantage to undervolting. A little under load but nothing changed at idle. It's already very efficient there.