3 Step - Core i3, i5, and i7 OCing Guides (w/ Sandy Bridge)

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

miahallen

3 Step - Core i3, i5, and i7 OCing Guides (w/ Sandy Bridge)

Post by miahallen » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Hello SPCR! :)

I've looked around the web, and all of the mainstream sites have overclocking guides of some sort, but they're a bit too tame for a real enthusiast who REALLY wants to learn how to push their system the right way :D

I've spent a lot of time over the last few months writing, revising, and attempting to perfect overclocking guides for the latest generations of Intel CPUs. Many of you may have seen the previous revision posted at overclockers.com. But I really wanted to take that guide to the next level.

These guides are not OCing templates....those are already plentiful, but have very limited effectiveness. I've seen way too much "give me the settings" type of trial-and-error overclocking going on. If you are serious about maximizing your system, a methodical approach is the fastest, and most effective way to do so.

I felt the best way to start was with an introduction comparing the different choices for LGA1156 and LGA1366 platofrms, and it turned into a buyers guide. It should be a good reasource for power users looking for a recommendation on which series to purchase.

Intel Core i3 i5 and i7 Buyers Guide

I broke the overclocking portion of the guide down into three parts, so that I could tailor each section to the specific audiences's needs. I ended up with three very thorough overclocking guides that avoid the fluff, and focus on the good stuff. I've also included information about overclocking with power saving features enabled to minimize heat and power consumption ;)

3 Step Overclocking Guide - Gulftown and Bloomfield

3 Step Overclocking Guide - Lynnfield

3 Step Overclocking Guide - Clarkdale

3 Step Overclocking Guide - Sandy Bridge

As you work through the guides, take your time and do it right. If you run into problems, take note of where you are at in the process. Take a screenshot of the problem if possible. Start a new thread with the screenshot attached and all of the relevent system information. And we will do our best to help you achieve a well sorted overclock.

Any comments and criticizms are very welcome. Although I have striven for perfection, I know these guides are still far from it. :cool:

If anyone is interested in following my work, please do so here, thanks ;)
Last edited by miahallen on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

danimal

Post by danimal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:16 pm

a lot of good info in there, although the overclocking guides will probably be too technical for people who are just starting out.

"3. Sample #3 – Hardcore/high end OC – Intel Core i7 970, DDR3-2400 CAS9
1.Bclock freq goal = 200MHz
2.CPU freq goal = 4.6GHz
3.Memory speed goal = DDR3-2400 (uncore @ 3600MHz)"

since some 1366 motherboards won't let you use an x21 multiplier, i'm trying to figure out how you can achieve 4.6ghz with a 200Mhz bclock.

nitpicking: i'm not sure that the die maps add any useful overclocking information.

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks for the comments danimal.

I tried to write the guides to be as friendly as possible for beginners, but there are plenty of beginner guides all over the mainstream sites. Many of the users here at SPCR are at a more advanced level, and they are my primary audience. 8)

The i7 970 CPU has a stock multiplier of x25 and is unlocked downward. So the x23 multiplier needed in this example is easily accessible :)

IMO, the die maps are VERY helpful for SOME people, not not much for others. When describing uncore, and the relationships between different portions of the architecture and interchip communication....right brained individuals will probably appreciate the imagery the most ;)

miahallen

Re: The 3 Step - Core i3, i5, and i7 Overclocking Guides

Post by miahallen » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:45 pm

If anyone is interested in following my work, please do so here, thanks ;)
Last edited by miahallen on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.