does graphic card fit when using shuriken on H55?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Darkpoem

does graphic card fit when using shuriken on H55?

Post by Darkpoem » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:50 am

Hi I am planning to build a htpc with the board:
Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3

I want a rather msall chassi that also is very quiet and I have chosen Silverstone Sugo SG06B 300W, since it has a large 120mm fan.

Since I want a quiet htpc I also want to add an quiet cpu cooler and I have to choosen Silverstone NT06-E since it seems to fit in the chassi:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article968-page6.html
or maybe the Schyte shuriken

I have two questions about this configuration.

Q1 If I choose this cpu cooler will I be able to fit a graphic card in the pci express port? Someone at my work told me that the htpc he build used a shuriken on the H55 board but then the shuriken was in the way for the graphiccard?
The dimensions of the coolers are:
Shuriken: 105 × 64 × 116 mm NT06-E 123 × 82 × 149 mm (BxHxD)

Or Do I have to use a cpu cooler like: Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 GT which has the dimensions:
100 × 84 × 64,5 mm (BxHxD)

If you look at the picture of the H55, the pci-E is very very close to the cpu :-( Why Hasn't anyone complained about that?
http://www.prisjakt.nu/bilder/bild.php? ... d&size=800

Q2: Can I use both the 2,5 and 3,5 slot for the drives or will the cpu cooler be in the way?

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:45 pm

On the Zotac H55 board, Big Shuriken no, Shuriken yes. Similar layout.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1064-page2.html

Darkpoem

Post by Darkpoem » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:59 am

ok, sounds good! I will try to use the fan that came with the boxed cpu first (don't know how loud it is) and maybe under voltage the cpu a bit. (i3 core 550) But I would also like to know if anyone know the answer on my second question Q2?
Will the cpu cooler shuriken fit if I use both 2,5 and 3,5 slot for the HDD or is the maximum height (~8cm) with only the 2,5 slot used? If we knwo tlak about the chassi I mentioned. SUGO SG06B

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi, I'm also looking at building an HTPC using this board.

I think you may find this post useful.

Darkpoem

Post by Darkpoem » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Thx! What kind of cpu fan do you plan to use?

Still not sure how much room there will be between the shuriken and the 3,5 hdd slot... must search for pictures me too.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Darkpoem wrote:Will the cpu cooler shuriken fit if I use both 2,5 and 3,5 slot for the HDD or is the maximum height (~8cm) with only the 2,5 slot used? If we knwo tlak about the chassi I mentioned. SUGO SG06B

It looks it will easily fit.

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:07 pm

I'll be using PicoPSU, so not restricted to having to use slim fan.

Darkpoem

Post by Darkpoem » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:14 pm

I found a review on the xbits homepage:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/ ... up_14.html
I gues I don't have to worry about the height to the psu or the 3,5 hdd slot.
It seems to be almost 9cm up to the psu and maybe 8cm up to the 3.5 slot.

Then I just have to make sure the graphic card fits, and as NoizEnvader already pointed out, a AXP 140 will give room for the pci-e then I am very satisfied.
I do also want to but a pico psu but first I want to hear how loud the psu is.

What extra parts do you buy NoizEnvader?
I gues that you buy a pico psu for example:
http://mini-itx.se/picopsu150xt150watt-p-400.html
What extra cables do you then have to buy?
It's very expensive to buy a pico psu. You also have to buy an ac/dc adapter:
http://mini-itx.se/12v150w125aacdcadapt ... ath=76_146
And maybe also some extra parts.
Is there something I am missing about the pico psu, is there a cheaper pico psu kit somewhere?

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:44 am

This would be my first time with PicoPSU too, but as far as I understand, that's all you need, unless you have GFX that need auxiliary power. Then, afaik, you have to get molex splitter cable to GFX auxiliary power. It is allot of money to spend at once, but not so bad if you have a power brick lying around. I'll be using HP 180w I have.

teq

Re: does graphic card fit when using shuriken on H55?

Post by teq » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Darkpoem wrote:Hi I am planning to build a htpc with the board:
Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3

I want a rather msall chassi that also is very quiet and I have chosen Silverstone Sugo SG06B 300W, since it has a large 120mm fan.

Since I want a quiet htpc I also want to add an quiet cpu cooler and I have to choosen Silverstone NT06-E since it seems to fit in the chassi:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article968-page6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or maybe the Schyte shuriken

I have two questions about this configuration.

Q1 If I choose this cpu cooler will I be able to fit a graphic card in the pci express port? Someone at my work told me that the htpc he build used a shuriken on the H55 board but then the shuriken was in the way for the graphiccard?
The dimensions of the coolers are:
Shuriken: 105 × 64 × 116 mm NT06-E 123 × 82 × 149 mm (BxHxD)

Or Do I have to use a cpu cooler like: Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 GT which has the dimensions:
100 × 84 × 64,5 mm (BxHxD)

If you look at the picture of the H55, the pci-E is very very close to the cpu :-( Why Hasn't anyone complained about that?
http://www.prisjakt.nu/bilder/bild.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... d&size=800

Q2: Can I use both the 2,5 and 3,5 slot for the drives or will the cpu cooler be in the way?
Unfortunately I can confirm from my own experience that the Shuriken Rev B does NOT fit the H55N-USB3 board - it blocks the PCIe slot. :(

Cheers,
teq

hybry

Post by hybry » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:33 am

teq wrote:Unfortunately I can confirm from my own experience that the Shuriken Rev B does NOT fit the H55N-USB3 board - it blocks the PCIe slot. :(

Cheers,
teq
Strange, I am sure I have seen pictures where it fit. It had about 5mm clearance from GPU. I might be mistaken though

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:32 am

It's rather a pointless question: just adding more money the issue is solved.

As already said by NoizEnvader, Thermalright AXP-140:

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:45 am

Started on the H55N-USB3 build yesterday. Waiting for the SSD (should arrive tomorrow) so I can finish. The Scythe Shuriken fits - just barely. There's maybe a few mils (1/1000 of an inch) of clearance. I didn't want to chance it so I put a piece of construction paper between the heatsink and GPU. It also acts as a shroud to separate the GPU from the rest of the case. The PCIe slot was already close to the CPU socket on the Intel DH57JG. It's even closer in the Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 (maybe by around 5mm?).

Darkpoem

Post by Darkpoem » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:51 pm

is it an Sugo SG06B that is on the picture? I am very interested to "hear" how loud the psu fan is? I read the article on SPCR about the SUgo and it feels that it is silent but is it really? what is your experience? will it be the psu fan or CPU fan that is the loudest one? is it possible to adjust the fan on the psu somehow?

How come you choosed the GTS 450? Do you care at all about the nocie or do you just want it to be cool for the cpu?

I want to use my htpc up on the tv bench and would like it to be very quiet and I am not sure how much noice it will make...

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Sugo SG-05B technically, but the only difference between the two is the front fascia anyway. :P

Before I received my SSD, I booted the system with just the mobo, i5-760, Scythe Shuriken and GTS 450. I didn't replace front 120mm intake fan. With that configuration the loudest part of the system was the GTS 450 fan. To me, it was inaudible from 4' away. Alas, it sitting on top of my Antec P182 underneath a desk so I can't really put my ear next to the PSU fan.

One complaint now that I've completed my build: I have a G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB and a Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB and now, one of the fans (probably the 120mm intake) seems to be running full throttle. It's pretty loud and I'm banging my head since I should have replaced it when I had the chance. Doing so now is probably going to be a major pain in the neck. It really isn't the nicest case to work with if you plan on installing a 3.5" drive. I reckon the drive cage partially blocking the fan is also a source of noise. I'm still in the process of installing Windows updates so hopefully, I could find a way to control the fan - whichever one might be the culprit.

The GTS 450 was kind of a "by default" choice. My requirements were:
uses only one PCI-E power pin
StarCraft II (High w/AA)
CUDA

CUDA was the kicker. Would have chosen an HD 5770 otherwise. Basically, my choice was between the GTS 250 and GTS 450. Opted for the latter hoping it has lower power consumption than the older G92-based card. It helps that it's slightly shorter, too.

Darkpoem

Post by Darkpoem » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:31 am

Couldn't you speedfan as a lot of people do in order to control the fans, http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php.

Was it not possible to control the chassi fan with bios settings? could it not be plugged in on the motherboard?

Good to know that the psu fan isn't so loud then.

Is it only room for a graphic card that uses 1 PCI express port?
I have an GTS460 at home in my computer on which I run SC2, would it fit into the case?

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:29 am

GTX 460 should fit. I believe it's the same size as the GTS 450. I think the 300W PSU is probably borderline, though. That's one of the reasons I opted for the GTS 450 instead of the GTX 460. Tried looking for fan control in the BIOS but I think it only works for the CPU fan. Just installed Windows updates last night and went to sleep directly after. It actually seems quieter now (at idle) - either that or I got used to the noise. Power consumption is 55W idle. Haven't tested load yet.

Darkpoem

Post by Darkpoem » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Ok, I think you are correct about the fan connections, I only see that there is also a system fan connector but no chassi connector. Cant you try to lower the voltage of the chassi fan by adding a little resistance to the fancable then, it would lower the voltage to the fan and decrease the speed.
Keep me posted on how things are going, I am going to buy the chassi and motherboard before christmas, its good to have the christmas for trimming the system :-)

snoopdogg

Post by snoopdogg » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:14 pm

I tried it with a Big Shuriken and it doesn't fit. However, the cooler that _does_ work for me is the Scythe Samurai ZZ. Card fits with decent clearance (a couple mm at least) and the cooler is pretty quiet (performs better than the Big Shuriken IMHO). But you need some extra height to use it; I put it into my Apex MI-008 by removing the PSU and using a PicoPSU instead.