Motherboard controlling fan speed?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Joe23002

Motherboard controlling fan speed?

Post by Joe23002 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:50 pm

My chosen motherboard spec stats that it can control fan speeds. Do I need to buy a program and thermometer to be able to see and control this aspect? Does this only control the fan speeds of the PSU, or does it extend to the case fans?

PSU - Enermax Modu87+ 500W
Motherboad - Gigabyte P55-UD6

Thankyou
Joe

Erelyes

Post by Erelyes » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:24 pm

It won't affect the PSU fan speed.

I know it can affect the CPU fan speed; you can do this with Easytune 6.

Dunno if this extends to case fan headers.

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/products/pro ... l=1#manual (second from bottom for english version)

quest_for_silence

Re: Motherboard controlling fan speed?

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:07 am

Joe23002 wrote:My chosen motherboard spec stats that it can control fan speeds. Do I need to buy a program and thermometer to be able to see and control this aspect? Does this only control the fan speeds of the PSU, or does it extend to the case fans?

As already said, usually the PSU control its fan by its own on board controller. Seldomly some PSUs may offer external cables/headers to control even some case fans.

Well, you may control your own case fans using either the motherboard own BIOS control (read the manual), or you may use some software (as the already quoted Easytune, or SPCR's favorite SpeedFan) which relies on motherboard's temps sensors. Eventually you may also use an external hardware fan controller with its own thermal probes.

Maybe, for Windows users, the most flexible solution might be using SpeedFan (if it works, some times it does not).