How high is the CPU socket on a motherboard

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RagnarDarude

How high is the CPU socket on a motherboard

Post by RagnarDarude » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi!

Im planning to build my own case for components I havent yet ordered. Since the computer is supposed to be in shelf underneath the TV im very restricted as to what dimensions the case can have. I want to put a heatsink thats as big as possible on the CPU but the largest ones are pretty high so left with millimeters to spare i want to know if anyone knows exactly how high the CPU socket is from the bottom of the motherboard. My guess is about 2cm but i really dont know.

I also wonder if i really need a motherboard plate or if i just can build my own or screw the motherboard directly to the case.

quest_for_silence

Re: How high is the CPU socket on a motherboard

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 am

RagnarDarude wrote:I also wonder if i really need a motherboard plate or if i just can build my own or screw the motherboard directly to the case.

Maybe you could do better saying which parts you're looking at (starting from which case).

However, a motherboard plate is usually a mounting mechanism for the heatsink itself: if there's any, very likely you can't rid of it. Or have you meant a mobo's tray?

boost

Post by boost » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:49 am

7.781 +- 0.335mm from top of mainboard to the top of the CPU's heatspreader, for socket 1156.
Intel® Xeon® Processor 3400 Series and LGA1156 Socket Thermal and Mechanical Design Guide Page 29.

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:16 am

Adding to that, PCB is about 2 mm thick, and standoffs are usually 8 mm high (i recall clearance below PCB must be 6 mm, I'll try and check the ATX spec and reconfirm).

All in all, Heatsink starts at approx 18 mm from motherboard plate (= case inside if you screw standoffs directly into case side panel).

/ d