Anandtech making poor price comparisons :(

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andymcca

Anandtech making poor price comparisons :(

Post by andymcca » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:44 am

Anyone else reading the Anandtech Llano reviews?

They do a price comparison, but they compared a high end ($150) motherboard to an H67 low end ($100) motherboard. Then they talk about "Is it worth a $75 premium?" (counting the processor as $150, which most sources were pointing to $135...). It just seems disappointing to me that they are drawing conclusions with apples and oranges. (This is why I love SPCR over all others.)
Edit: Even Anandtech's own price in this review is $135 for the A8-3850. So even assuming a $100 motherboard (which, I suspect, there will be even cheaper models, and they chose to use the lowest H67 mobo price), the cost difference is $10.

Linky:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4478/asro ... locking/10
(Granted, this is a review for the $150 mobo, but the generalizations seem pretty bad...)

HFat

Re: Anandtech making poor price comparisons :(

Post by HFat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 am

Is it the first time you noticed Anandtech occasionally carries biased articles? In some cases, it's so bad they're contemptible.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:23 pm

So many pretty graphs, though!

ickarumba1

Post by ickarumba1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:31 am

Anandtech really needs to fire their case review guy.
In the Solo II article he was bitching about how the HDD suspension was annoying. Then he shoved a gtx 580 and complained that the GPU was too hot. In his conclusion he said he was disappointed that the case wasn't quiet as he'd have hoped (he removed the suspension).

The only thing I go on Anandtech for is the benchmarks which are sometimes useful for comparisons.