ASUS Z87-Deluxe fake 4-pin headers & other fan control info

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

indian4

Re: ASUS Z87-Deluxe fake 4-pin headers & other fan control i

Post by indian4 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Se previous M5A99X question

Ok. I still can't get my mobo to see my fan (4pin 120MM arctic f12. My chassis fan runs, but the bios and fan xprt aren't picking it up. Am I doing something wrong or is it a problem with my chassis fan or am I just purely out of luck with ASUS MOBO monitoring my Chassis fan.

If it is a fan problem, anybody have a recommendation?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:54 pm

The last time I used an Arctic 4-pin PWM fan it used the PST system and had a plug and socket at the end of the fan lead. The plug and socket were linked with a short length of cable. Deploying the Arctic fan as a chassis fan meant unplugging the CPU PWM fan, connecting the Arctic fan to the CPU PWM header and then plugging the CPU fan into the socket on the Arctic fan lead. This shared the PWM signal between the two fans, but only the RPM of the CPU fan was reported. This is normal for PWM sharing.

indian4

Post by indian4 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks brother. That helps because I know exactly what you are talking about.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:41 am

I would add that my Arctic PWM fan also had a separate yellow lead with a plug on the end of it. This lead was the fan speed sensing cable. If your fan has this you can plug it into one of the chassis fan headers. The 3 pin PWR_FAN header is easiest because it should be next to the CPU fan header. The speed of the Arctic fan should then show up in the BIOS and any fan monitoring software as Power Fan Speed. This was Arctic's way of providing both PWM fan sharing and allowing the fan speed to be monitored. You may have to turn on Chassis Q-Fan Control in the BIOS for this to work.

Conchis

Post by Conchis » Tue May 06, 2014 10:09 am

It looks like the new Asus Z97 motherboards may now have multiple real PWM fan headers. Not sure if I believe it, and looking forward to the boards being released so this can be confirmed.
benchmarkreviews.com wrote:Upgraded Fan Controls
ASUS Z97 motherboards feature full Pulse Wave Modulation (PWM) on all fan headers (4 pin). This allows users far better granular control over fan speeds on top of the capability of having far quieter operations. The 4 pin fan headers can automatically detect PWM or DC type fans.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/15735/asus- ... bpf5gK2.99

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue May 06, 2014 11:29 am

Yes, the end of the 'fake' 4 pin headers. According to Asus the Z97 motherboards also feature Fan Xpert 3 which "...puts 4-pin/3-pin CPU and case fan controls in one place. It scans each fan's characteristics and delivers custom settings for each fan based on the dedicated area temperatures detected by hardware thermal sensors. Make sure every fan achieves the best balance of cooling performance and low noise. Fan Xpert 3 supports hardware-level PWM/DC combo mode for both the CPU and case fans. It even can reduce the CPU fan speed to below the default minimum, for extra-quiet and power saving operation during light loads...".

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Interesting info, personally i don't fully believe it, as in the past they have stated similar things.... but maybe they learn their lesson and adjusted so all are like the cpu fan that can be switched in bios.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed May 07, 2014 11:52 am

Abula wrote:Interesting info, personally i don't fully believe it, as in the past they have stated similar things...
The Asus web site is just starting to list manuals for their Z97 range, and have looked at them... the chassis fan headers still seem to be of the 'fake' variety since the connectors are labelled in exactly the same way as the Z87 boards (Z97 PRO and ROG Maximus VII). It is possible that this is a mistake, and the connector diagram from the Z87 has simply been copied over. However in terms of published information the 'fake' 4 pin fan headers issue seems not to be going away :shock:

Edit: Having just checked the manual for the Asus Z97 Deluxe, this has all of its chassis fan connectors labelled as PWM. The manual also says "...the chassis fan connectors support DC and PWM modes. To set these fans to DC or PWM, go to Advanced Mode->Monitor->Chassis Fan 1/4 Control items in BIOS..". So a full fan control Z97 motherboard is available from Asus but only apparently at the premium price of the Deluxe.

DeltaForce

Post by DeltaForce » Thu May 15, 2014 8:01 am

Asus seems to have really fixed the fan control issues for the Z97 series - for mainstream, Rog, and Tuf, which is good news for quiet computing.

Here is JJ at Asus explaining the improvements (fan control in EZ mode at 5 min, but at 8:40 gets into the advanced fan control): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y79pSiaR2dg

It sounds good, that there will be full choice of PWM, DC, disable, on every fan header, the choice of temperature input for each header, fan calibration of every fan to find min and max for the exact fan, and even the ability to have a fan stop or start at a temperature value, and all in the bios. Controlling the fan ramping characteristic is only in ai suite though.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu May 15, 2014 11:58 am

DeltaForce wrote:...Here is JJ at Asus explaining the improvements...
As you may have noticed the board featured is the Z97 Deluxe which has, and is documented as having, the full set of new fan control features. It still isn't entirely clear whether these features are going to be applied to every Z97 motherboard in the range. If they are, that sounds like really good news. But the online Z97A manual for example currently makes no mention of dual PWM/voltage control or temperature sensor selection choices. Maybe it's just a cut and paste issue, but either way Asus need to adjust their online documentation to clarify exactly what the fan control situation is with each of their Z97 motherboards.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu May 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Somewhere around 41:30 JJ goes into Fan Xpert III: down to 20% speed, silent mode to disable chassis fans and minimal CPU cooler rpm.

In the overview video, it's a Pro card, but he also states that every board starting with the A and the m-ITX boards will have this functionality.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:30 am

Would be great to have someone test the new Z97/H97 Asus mobos, specially interested into if its as smart as it sound with the CHA_FAN able to be switched to PWM... i doubt it, but would be a good addition to have much more flexibility not only on planning the build, but on upgrading down the road.

I might be doing a build for a friend in the next few months, and considering the Asus H97 Plus, and probably will go with it even if the fan control is like the Z87/H87/B85/H81, as the motherboard has a good CPU position for the Node 304 and it has 3 fan headers (CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN1 and 2), so ill be able to control the PWM fan with the CPU_FAN, the back Fractal 140 with the CHA_FAN2 and the two frontals Fractal 92mm with the splitter of on CHA_FAN1. If i do build it ill test both on the bios and with FanXpert3 to see if CHA_FAN can manage PWM and 3pin fans automatically, i hope im wrong, but i don't think they will be.

What doesnt look that hot is the bios still, asus finally uploaded the manuals for their new motherboards, and from the Asus H97 PLUS manual, the CHA_FANs are now resticted to 60% as their minimum.

I still believe that FanXpert3 will enter and override the bios fan restrictions, and fans will go as low as they can, as its been my experience with past gens.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:14 pm

The major difference between the Z87 and the Z97 boards is the inbuilt Q-Fan tuning via the Q-Fan Control section of the BIOS. It is here that the voltage or PWM option can be selected for fans, and a Profile or manual setting selected. The Q-Fan tuning section of the BIOS does not replace the Monitor section. That it still there and has the previous options for CPU and chassis fans. So for the Z97-Pro for example this means that the minimum 60% duty cycle manual BIOS setting for chassis fans still applies. The issue then seems to be that for some of their boards Asus are saying that the 60% can be over-ridden by Q-Fan tuning. The Asus Z97 Pro manual for example in the part of the manual covering the chassis fan manual settings adds that "...the values may differ via Q-Fan tuning...". So it seems that you can still have 'fake' headers but only if the traditional BIOS settings are used in preference to Q-Fan tuning.

Edit: Having looked at the Asus H97-Plus manual there is a section (2.2.3) on the Q-Fan Control which implies that this board will have the same voltage/PWM options and Profile/manual tuning options as the Z97 range. So is the absence of the wording about Q-Fan tuning just a documentation issue?

el_jefe

Post by el_jefe » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:01 am

lodestar wrote:Edit: Having looked at the Asus H97-Plus manual there is a section (2.2.3) on the Q-Fan Control which implies that this board will have the same voltage/PWM options and Profile/manual tuning options as the Z97 range. So is the absence of the wording about Q-Fan tuning just a documentation issue?
Hey guys!

Has anyone figured this out yet? Do we now have true PWM headers on H97-PRO?

I just bought an H87-PRO and after being very frustrated with my fan setup and reading this thread I am considering "upgrading" to the H97. I really don't feel like rebuilding my rig from scratch again just to see that ASUS have cheated again. Has anyone tested it yet?

el_jefe

Post by el_jefe » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:00 am

...after researching my options a little more, I am not also considering Z97. Does anyone already have experience with them?

Here's what I am looking to do:

I currently have an H87-PRO with an i7-4771 in a Coolermaster 690II Advance case with 3 Noctua fans attached: NF-A15 PWM front intake, NF-F12 rear exhaust and a NF-F12 attached to a Coolermaster 212 EVO. I won't be doing any OCing (impossible on the 4771 anyway) and what I am looking for a as silent a system as possible. Ideally the intake and exhaust fans should work at their minimum speed of 300 RPM most of the time for good airflow and positive pressure to keep dust out and only spin-up when the CPU has been working under full load for a while and is getting really hot.

Currently I don't see a way of doing this with the H87-PRO. I have the front and rear fans attached with the LNA adapters and Fan Xpert can spin them up only starting at 50%, e.g. around 650 RPM, which is not very loud, but it's certainly not silent either. Since I am not planning on upgrading and I don't really need any of the other features of the Z97-PRO or the H97-PRO, what I really care about are the true PWM headers.

Would I be able to control the fans with real PWM and keep them at 300 RPM with the H97-PRO or the Z97-PRO?

Thanks in advance!

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:16 pm

el_jefe wrote:...after researching my options a little more, I am not also considering Z97. Does anyone already have experience with them?

Here's what I am looking to do:

I currently have an H87-PRO with an i7-4771 in a Coolermaster 690II Advance case with 3 Noctua fans attached: NF-A15 PWM front intake, NF-F12 rear exhaust and a NF-F12 attached to a Coolermaster 212 EVO. I won't be doing any OCing (impossible on the 4771 anyway) and what I am looking for a as silent a system as possible. Ideally the intake and exhaust fans should work at their minimum speed of 300 RPM most of the time for good airflow and positive pressure to keep dust out and only spin-up when the CPU has been working under full load for a while and is getting really hot.

Currently I don't see a way of doing this with the H87-PRO. I have the front and rear fans attached with the LNA adapters and Fan Xpert can spin them up only starting at 50%, e.g. around 650 RPM, which is not very loud, but it's certainly not silent either. Since I am not planning on upgrading and I don't really need any of the other features of the Z97-PRO or the H97-PRO, what I really care about are the true PWM headers.

Would I be able to control the fans with real PWM and keep them at 300 RPM with the H97-PRO or the Z97-PRO?

Thanks in advance!
I don't think anyone but an owner can respond you that, and atm i haven't seen one yet.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 pm

el_jefe wrote:...Currently I don't see a way of doing this with the H87-PRO. I have the front and rear fans attached with the LNA adapters and Fan Xpert can spin them up only starting at 50%, e.g. around 650 RPM...
The intake and exhaust fans could be run as a PWM chain from the CPU fan header using the PWM Y adapters, and if need be PWM extension cables, supplied by Noctua. This would allow all three fans to run at the PWM duty cycle setting of the CPU fan. Intake and exhaust fan speeds would be less, most likely somewhere in the 350 to 450 rpm region. Using this setup requires the CPU fan to be plugged into the four pin socket on the first PWM Y cable to give an RPM reading.

nizer

Post by nizer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:26 am

Hi!

I have a Asus Z87I-Pro and would like to use SpeedFan but without luck - BUT version 4.50 fixed earlier bugs so that rpm, temps are show correctly.

Do tell if you find a way to control the fan using another program than fan xpert 2, as it is only controlled by the CPU. I need to control by GPU.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:10 am

nizer wrote:and would like to use SpeedFan but without luck

Did you set up SpeedFan properly, I mean, according to SPCR guide?

rhuebner

Post by rhuebner » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Back again, 2 years later (hey, it's my thread, I figure I can necro it if I want). Working on a new Z170 Deluxe build. And I just wanted to say thank you, ASUS, for stepping up and handling this issue so well. I see that every major mobo line you've produced since the Z87 series I posted about has had excellent full PWM and voltage control on all fan headers, plus BIOS control improvements and other goodies like stopped fan support, new fully integrated thermal probes, and even a fan extension board option for high-end mobos to add yet 3 more fully controlled fans and thermal probes. It's pretty much everything I wanted in fan control for years, all finally done right.

Now of course I have no way to prove anything, but I find the timing of these sweeping fan reforms... suggestive. And I have to admit it gives me warm fuzzies to think that maybe my diatribe managed to reach the right ears and actually made a difference. But whether it was my noise, someone else's, or just your own engineers' initiative, bravo. You now have the best fan control in the industry, and your boards should be a top choice for any noise-sensitive system builder. Thanks again.

mrmurphy

Post by mrmurphy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:10 am

rhuebner wrote:Back again, 2 years later (hey, it's my thread, I figure I can necro it if I want). Working on a new Z170 Deluxe build. And I just wanted to say thank you, ASUS, for stepping up and handling this issue so well.
You'd think. Like you I'm planning my Skylake build. However, the Z170 Deluxe is too expensive for my budget, so I took a look at the maximus Ranger, Pro Gaming and Z170A; all from Asus. According to the manuals the Ranger and A feature full PWM controll for all fans. However, this is not the case for the Pro Gaming, which has +5V instead of the PWM signal.

I've also talked to Asus support and they confirmed it.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:35 am

Surprised to hear that the fake 4-pin headers are continuing on the newest Asus boards. It is helpful that Asus are fitting more boards in their range with the CPU_OPT header, this includes the Z170 Pro Gaming. CPU_OPT is a genuine 4-pin header that mirrors the CPU header settings and makes it somewhat easier to setup a PWM chain using a splitter cable.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:27 am

mrmurphy wrote:
rhuebner wrote:Back again, 2 years later (hey, it's my thread, I figure I can necro it if I want). Working on a new Z170 Deluxe build. And I just wanted to say thank you, ASUS, for stepping up and handling this issue so well.
You'd think. Like you I'm planning my Skylake build. However, the Z170 Deluxe is too expensive for my budget, so I took a look at the maximus Ranger, Pro Gaming and Z170A; all from Asus. According to the manuals the Ranger and A feature full PWM controll for all fans. However, this is not the case for the Pro Gaming, which has +5V instead of the PWM signal.

I've also talked to Asus support and they confirmed it.
Intersting..... the Fake 4pin PWM legacy continues, i really hope in the next gen of motherboards they remove it totally, being model dependent will make it hard to recommend the brand in terms of what the user might want to achieve. Either way, im happy with MSI, so ill stick with that for now.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:47 am

I don't know, the Asus UEFI fan controls look pretty effin' awesome. Gotta wait and see which board(s) Asus sent SPCR for review and then get a better handle on which fan sockets do what.

punkarn89

Re: ASUS Z87-Deluxe fake 4-pin headers & other fan control info

Post by punkarn89 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:52 am

So I´m still hanging on to my 4790k and recently got my hands on a Asus Z97-Deluxe board. The problem I´m having is the Q-Fan control. I have connected two fans with a splitter to the CPU_Header. Both fans are PWM --> https://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/1636 brand new. I set the Q-fan control to PWM and make a fancurve and so on. The fans respond to my tweaking in BIOS. But as soon windows boots they ramp down to 485RPM and stay there, even doing stresstest. I went back to BIOS and set fans to 100%, still in PWM mode. Sure they spin up to 100%, but when windows boots they ramp down to 485. I´ve tried everthing here. Only thing that works is when I set Q-fan control to DC-mode. Then my settings stick.

Whats going on here?

Wild Penguin

Post by Wild Penguin » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:04 am

Which Windows?

Mu guess is some software (more likely) is trying to control the fans or Windows itself (less likely) is screwing them up by doing something in the ACPI side of things.

Try to see if you've installed and forgotten some fan-controlling software, have some old MB software laying around (from a previous install / motherboard) and/or install ASUS specific software.

If that fails you could just format the drive and install Windows fresh, presuming something has gone awry in it (and it can be very difficult to find what it is, sometimes).

I haven't dealt with Windowses since Windows XP, so this is just my 2 cents...

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:07 am

punkarn89 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:52 am
So I´m still hanging on to my 4790k and recently got my hands on a Asus Z97-Deluxe board. The problem I´m having is the Q-Fan control. I have connected two fans with a splitter to the CPU_Header. Both fans are PWM --> https://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/1636 brand new. I set the Q-fan control to PWM and make a fancurve and so on. The fans respond to my tweaking in BIOS. But as soon windows boots they ramp down to 485RPM and stay there, even doing stresstest. I went back to BIOS and set fans to 100%, still in PWM mode. Sure they spin up to 100%, but when windows boots they ramp down to 485. I´ve tried everthing here. Only thing that works is when I set Q-fan control to DC-mode. Then my settings stick.

Whats going on here?
From what i remember, only the CPU fan and some other header that i don't recall atm, were the only true PWM fans, the rest where fake PWM voltage control, this has been fixed on newer motherboards. Load Asus AI Suite / FanXpert, much easier to control them that way on an Asus motherboard, even todays Asus mobos have a very restrictive bios fan control, that its not worth it over FanXpert. Some people get by with bios preset profiles like silent/normal, for me they never work well enough for the fans i had, but FanXpert was really good.

punkarn89

Post by punkarn89 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:55 am

Well a complete wipe was my last resort. But I tried one last thing. Disconnecting the Y-spliter that was suplied with watercooling kit. So I plugged in one fan in the CPU_FAN and the other in the CPU_OPT and behold, it works!

Actually I installed AI-suite before just to try and same fault. It was giving a reading of only 475RPM. Don´t understand how the splitter could cause all this trouble.

Now I´m debating whether I should keep Asus AI-suite or not. The Fan-Xpert did provide more settings, but I don´t like programs running in the background when I can do this from BIOS.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:17 am

Also, remember that PWM fan header is expecting sensor feedback from only 1 fan. So, if your splitter isn't a specific PWM one where one side acts as the master and the other is the slave, then you'd need to clip off the sensor pin on one of the fans or the splitter sides.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:56 pm

punkarn89 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:55 am
Now I´m debating whether I should keep Asus AI-suite or not. The Fan-Xpert did provide more settings, but I don´t like programs running in the background when I can do this from BIOS.
This is the main reason i no longer run Asus motherboards, the bios fan control of MSI is much better, even Asrock n Gigabyte are very good, just Asus keeps on being stubborn.

If you can manage without FanXpert i would uninstall it, as AISuite installs a lot of things, but at the same time, FanXpert is a really good fan control software, up to you.