AM1

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tipo33

AM1

Post by tipo33 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:20 am

I just ordered a 5350 and an MSI AM1I and am looking forward to doing a build with it! :D
Is anybody looking at the recently available AM1 platform?
Do you think companies will release aftermarket coolers for it considering the 25watt TDP?

mkk

Re: AM1

Post by mkk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:20 am

I'll certainly consider it for any future budget ITX build, or lab system. For the CPU cooler I'm hoping that the stock model will be useful this time thanks to the low TDP, especially as the mounting is not the same as AMD's old standard. Let us know how you find the stock cooler to behave.
Just this once I kinda wish there were motherboards with the CPU's soldered on rather than a socket.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 am

tipo33 wrote:Is anybody looking at the recently available AM1 platform?

Isn't Bay Trail even better?

mczak

Post by mczak » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:05 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
tipo33 wrote:Is anybody looking at the recently available AM1 platform?

Isn't Bay Trail even better?
Not really though it depends what you're looking for. Bay Trail has lower TDP and indeed their peak power consumption is lower (should definitely be easier to cool passively). At idle it seems to be more of a wash (the difference depending on the mobo used seems to be quite a bit larger in any case). In terms of cpu performance, Bay Trail is slower per clock but makes this about up with faster clocked parts (the fastest AM1 chip clocks at 2.05Ghz but the faster Bay Trail parts turbo up to ~2.5Ghz), so cpu performance is very similar in the end (of course, this depends on the exact chip). Unless you run some very specific code (bay trail doesn't support avx, and the "normal" desktop and mobile pentium/celeron parts have afaik all AES disabled) where AM1 chips have the advantage.
Graphics OTOH is a definite win for AM1 chips - I'd say roughly twice as fast comparing the fastest chips, even the slowest am1 chip (sempron 2650) might be able to beat the fastest bay trail-d part.
I'm not entirely sure how prices will turn out this is all a bit new so not many comparison points (obviously, the price of the board matters).